Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > Fraudulent Voting

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Feb 12, 2011 10:16PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments To those who enjoy participating in the FA monthly reads: it appears that we might have had an individual creating more than one profile and using these false profiles to join our group and sway the monthly polls.

This isn't fair to other members, so if this fraudulent behaviour persists, we may be forced to close the monthly reads, which would be a shame.

So, only one vote per individual from now on. I ask all member to please heed this new rule.

*EDIT*
No worries, monthly reads will not be closed.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Agree, Nicki.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments That is an excellent idea, Nicki! Thank you. If the problem does persist, I will apply this along with another idea that Lady Danielle came up with.

I really didn't want to get rid of the monthly reads, too, as I also love them! They have introduced me to many great books I otherwise would not have read.

I would also like to thank the person who brought this to my attention. I won't out them, because I know that that would make me feel uncomfortable (even on the Internet), but thank you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Good call! I agree with Nicki. Forum thread would eliminate any problems

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments I can't believe that somebody would be obsessive enough about the monthly reads voting to be deceitful. Nobody is going to stop me from reading whatever I want. If the votes aren't toward a book I like, or there are no selections I'm interested in, I go towards the personal pile that I've been trying to knock down. Get a life!

message 6: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Aloha said I can't believe that somebody would be obsessive enough about the monthly reads voting to be deceitful.

Yep, some people are really sad and seriously need to get a life!

message 7: by Bobbie (last edited Feb 13, 2011 04:35AM) (new)

Bobbie Someone has way too much time on their hands! I'm with Thoa (look sweetie I'm awake and spelled your name right lol)

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments That's okay, honey. I know you're referring to me. I can excuse you for anything.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I was surprised, too. There's no absolute proof that it happened, but some strong evidence that strongly suggested it had. So far, the offending profiles haven't voted.

message 10: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments What strong evidence? Profile names like Cannibal 1, Cannibal 2? *looks guilty*

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Aloha wrote: "I can't believe that somebody would be obsessive enough about the monthly reads voting to be deceitful. Nobody is going to stop me from reading whatever I want. If the votes aren't toward a book ..."

wow-that seems like a lot of work...I agree..if I dont like what wins, I just read something else.

message 12: by Jason (last edited Feb 13, 2011 05:52AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Hahaha. No. Not that.

There were two strong possible false profiles. Possibly a third. All three had joined FA at the same time, all had no friends, absolutely no books listed, and a member of only one group. Fantasy Afficionados. They had no activities on their main profile pages, except for joining FA and voting in the last two of our polls.

So why would 2 or 3 people create a Goodreads account to only join FA and vote on its monthly reads for the past two months while doing nothing else?

Granted, only 2 or 3 profiles isn't really that much to sway the voting, but if you consider that last month's winners were all voted by these suspicious profiles, same with the epic fantasy and the tie in the urban fantasy poll of this month, it just seems funny.

Blah I say...LOL. Either I and my source are wrong, or someone has a major control issue, or they're just really bored.

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments In our PNR group, when it was only Private instead of Secret, we had people making fake profiles to come in due to our notoriety. We think some are men looking to see what a notorious group composing mostly of women talking about sex were doing.

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Oh wow. This is just sad. When I got your email this morning - I was floored. Who would do that?? I'm a book nerd too, but get serious.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) I think that's a good way to handle it, Jason, and Dawn that's a good idea. I too wonder at how much free time people have to indulge in nonsense. Like Aloha, if I don't want to read a book that gets selected, I don't. If I want to read a book that doesn't get selected, I still read it. (Big sigh!)

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments It did make for an interesting Saturday night. LOL

message 18: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments You don't know drama in a forum! I can tell you stories.

message 19: by Jason (last edited Feb 13, 2011 07:16PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Yeah, I've seen much worse too...lol but that was some time ago and not on Goodreads. But I was saying the same thing. lol

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I was talking to MrsJoseph about it earlier and if nothing else it really got the votes moving! Lol, if half the people who have voted so far actually participate in the read we'll have one of our best reads yet

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I hope you're right, Grant. If everyone who votes actually participates, that'll be awesome!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) Aloha wrote: "You don't know drama in a forum! I can tell you stories."

Aloha, believe me, I know all about drama on groups!

message 23: by Devon (new)

Devon Ward (devonswars) | 21 comments I'm new to this group, but I'm kind of excited to participate. I just found Goodreads, and love it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) Glad to have you in the group, Devon.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Indeed we are!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) MrsJoseph wrote: "Oh wow. This is just sad. When I got your email this morning - I was floored. Who would do that?? I'm a book nerd too, but get serious."

My response exactly. I mean, if you want to read a book that badly, you can just read it anyway... lol.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Well put, Rachel!

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments *big grin* @ Rachel

I think we all are going to have a good read next month. :-)

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan | 62 comments Seems lame! Most of the books that are nominated are from published authors not Indies what would they have to gain. I read what I want also, if it's not one I'm interested in I won't read it and won't join in. To each their own!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments This is sad and scary.... Cheating to get a particular book chosen in the reading group. It makes me angry on a gut level, it's like someone who cheats a poker when playing for match sticks, you know that when things really count they would steal you blind and fake up any election.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait, wait, wait.

I'm not allowed to make dummy accounts and vote with them?

Damnit, after I spent all that time...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

But I have to.

It's in my contract.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Contract, or "contact"?

message 34: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Contact or consort?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Maybe he was contacting the consortium about his contract. But that's not conclusive...or convenient.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Could end continually convalescing and completely out of control for such comportment.

message 37: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Convalescence creates complete care by choir girls.

message 38: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1018 comments (In)conceivable!

message 39: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Aug 13, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments help.

message 40: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "help."

*offers booze and cookies*

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Thank you...have an animal cracker.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Thank you...I'm off to bed, now. Church in the morning, I have to be there, I'm bringing food for the lunch we serve after services...

Tomorrow folks.

message 43: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Good night!

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Mmmm Animal crackers! It's been years since I've had one.

message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Oh, and good night! :)

message 46: by Lori (new)

Lori | 81 comments Uh, that's a really dumb thing to do; especially at a site such as GR....I mean, what's the point, really? The gain is so minute, particularly in the great scheme of things. How petty and twisted.

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments You'd be surprised, Lori! lol