Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Let's Get Specific! > Tsunami Blue

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I'm nearly done reading this book and it is so good. The worldbuilding is wonderful, the characters are compelling and the story is emotional. Had me crying a couple of times and cheering too.

It's almost a pirate Mad Max kind of story with some mystical type elements thrown in. Yes, it's Romantic but not overly so.

I'm not finished and this one is a keeper for me.

message 2: by new_user (last edited Feb 12, 2011 03:51PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Wow, sounds good, Anna! I admit, it sounded a little lighter when I read the summary way back when. Maybe I'm thinking of another one... LOL. What's it about?

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore That's good to know AnnaM! I love the cover of that one.

message 4: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Not light.

But the author picked the right tone for the narrator's voice to lighten what could have been a very, very dark and gruesome story. But Blue is a smartalec who views things slightly off-kilter so some of the truly horrific things around her, while still horrific, you can get through because SHE can.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, this book makes this author an auto-buy for me. From what I could find out this is her only novel so far.

And there's a dog! I love a dog in SF. Seriously, most of the pets in SF seem to be cats.

I fully admit what drew me to this book initially was the cover. What beautiful colors.

message 5: by AnnaM (last edited Feb 12, 2011 04:30PM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments What's it about?

The world has been destroyed by tsunami's that still happen from time to time. There's no explicit explanation because I don't think any of the characters really know. All major land masses have been reduced to strings of islands. Roving bands of psycho pirates sail the seas and terrorize all the people left.

Blue was 5 when she first heard the sea whisper to run because the first tsnuami was coming. She warned everyone around her and started running, but her family was still swept away and killed. She became an instant phenomenon around the world and was put in hiding with her not very nice Uncle. Her childood was horrible but prepared her for life alone.

She has a strange gift that allows her to hear words or laughter in the waves, or drops of water, etc., and she's always right when it tells her a wave is coming.

At 23 she lives alone with her dog on a tiny island, broadcasting warnings via shortwave to the few people she thinks still live, and hiding from the Runners--the sadistic pirates.

One day a man washes up on her beach with no pulse. Her decision about him changes her life and the course of part of the world forever.

>>>

I have about ten pages left to read and the whole story is excellent.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I too love dogs in Scifi!!

message 7: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Just finished!

Okay, so the "climax" of the plot might not please everyone but for me it fit with what was developed and with the characters, even if it was very paranormalish in my opinion. By that point I liked the characters and world, and was so caught up in the action that I didn't care, it fit.

The epilogue left me smiling. I love it when I leave a book feeling happy and content.

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Wow, that sounds really good, Anna! I wasn't expecting something like that. Sounds like a more practical, twisty, SF-like plot than I was expecting. For some reason, I thought it was more paranormal. That is a really creative gift too. I'll check out an excerpt! Thanks, Anna!

message 9: by AnnaM (last edited Feb 14, 2011 05:58AM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments You're welcome!

It's very violent, though, think Lord of the Flies brutality and depravity. And there's a lot of cussing. But for some reason it didn't feel all that graphic to me because of Blue's attitude. She didn't make light of the death, etc., but she acknowledged it.

The only real paranormal part to me was the climax of the story.

I spent the whole thing wondering if her "hearing the waves" meant she was a little crazy. Or if it was like people who sense ghosts, a kind of intuitive gift or keying in to the energy of nature like animals who know when an earthquake will happen. (Or like my dog who knew when his littermate was going to have a seizure, hours ahead of time.)

True, a lot of the "reasons why" in this story aren't explained really but for me it was okay because I can extrapolate reasons from what the author mentioned briefly.

For all the violence etc., this ending left me satisfied and happy. Hopefully you all have the same good experience I did.

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments You know, the cover gives no clue to the violence, etc. I would have had no idea. My curiosity's definitely piqued now.

message 11: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments No, it doesn't.