Christian Readers discussion

Discipleship > Book club ideas?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (wordsofwisdom) | 3 comments I'm looking for the BEST fiction books for a Christian women's book club. They need to "inspirational" in the broad sense of the term, very well written, acceptable to most Christian sensibilities, and of various genre's. Classic, contemporary, secular, and historical may be included. List your favorite five to ten books. Thanks.

message 2: by Laura (last edited Feb 13, 2011 03:30PM) (new)

Laura Redeeming Love. My top vote for best Christian Fiction ever. Retells the story of Hosea.

Bamboo and Lace. The older novels of Lori Wick provide a lot of food for thought. Think this one would spur good discussion.

Safely Home. Excellently written. Challenges the reader to think about the faith and experience of the those within the persecuted church and triggers an examination of the relevance of our own faith life.

My Hands Came Away Red Another look at the global church. A teenager serves on a short-term service project in Indonesia and gets caught up into life and death survival in the midst of local turmoil.

Wisdom Hunter Intended to be a thought-provoking examination of contemporary theology. What is essential vs. cultural expectation.

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold. A more challenging read, but excellent fictional work from C.S. Lewis

The Breaking Point Think this would be a good discussion starter regarding marriage /
relationships / faith.

The Veritas Conflict and The Lights of Tenth Street by Shaunti Feldhahn. Contemporary subjects covered with depth.

message 3: by Hlu (new)

Hlu (hluz) | 2 comments 1. Redeeming love by Francine Rivers (the shofar blew and scarlet thread are excellent reads and so is the epic mark of the lion series)

2. Fire by Jack Cavanaugh - if you like this one the great awakenings series will a great read

3. Oath by Frank Perret a very thick volume but a very good allegory of sin. Great read you might like the Darkness set if you like Oath.

4. Blink of Any Eye by Ted Dekker. He explained Faith is the most simplest way possible. A page turner. You might like martyr's song series and thre3 too.

5. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell. A psychological book that reads like a novel. Great read, pager turner and an eye opener!

6. 25 surprising marriages by Willam J petersen. Short bio on 25 great men and women like Luther to Billy graham. It restored my faith in marriage. Its a very easy read.

7. Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God: by Angus Buchan. Its just that. A simple story about faith by an ordinary men. There is a movie too.

8. Moses by Traylor, Ellen Gunderson. Retells the bible Moses' story is the most vivid way ever! i love it. She has done Joshua, Noah, Ruth too. Great Reads. Noah is a bit difficult to read tho.

9. The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun. Some people really do exploits for God. This is book reads like a chapter in the bible. Things we read the bible happening now.

10 Pride and prejudice a classic, a great read. You will definitely have tonnes of laughter with this one. Its my all time fav!

message 4: by Ron (new)

Ron Sanders (ronsand) | 3 comments Virginia wrote: "I'm looking for the BEST fiction books for a Christian women's book club. They need to "inspirational" in the broad sense of the term, very well written, acceptable to most Christian sensibilities,..."

Sis Virginia,
I published and released the book entitled "Concerned But Not Consumed," in April 2010. Although, its not fictional (non-fictional) I gave a book review for a Christian women's book club and they all said the book was very INSPIRATIONAL. Please peruse book website to determine if this what you're looking for. Thank you. The website is; WWW.CONCERNEDNOTCONSUMED.COM You can also reach me at ronCsanders@msn.com

God bless & be well,
Ron Sanders
P. S. You can also Google "Detroit Police homicide
detective segeant, ron sanders."

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Dear Virginia,

I would highly recommend the unabridged version of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables (Signet Classics). It is a large book and would probably take a group about 3 months but it is worth it.

message 6: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (wordsofwisdom) | 3 comments Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. Several of the ideas are serious contenders for selection this coming year. My book club loved Redeeming Love, it was our first book. We have also especially loved The Help, Christy, To Kill a Mockingbird, and our latest big hit is Eve's Daughters. Please keep making suggestions.