Revelation Space discussion

What is your favorite Reynolds book

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Peterson (kolonelklink) | 5 comments Mod
He's got quite a few books out there now, but the cream of the crop for me was Chasm City. It fleshed out the universe better than some of his other books and I loved the plot.

Thoughts?

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine I don't think I have read any of his books. Where should I start?

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Peterson (kolonelklink) | 5 comments Mod
Revelation Space, it's his first book

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Chasm City was by far his best book I thought. It had more personality and character in it than the regular Rev Space novels put together. And the way he layered the story and then eventually intertwined them and have it work without being convoluted or confusing was quite good. Also, the little treat at the end was quite nice too (the person he was interviewing).

The Prefect is also quite good even though it wasn't as brilliantly written due to the more straightforward nature of the story. Reynolds loves his throwback classical "detectives" or his version of them re-shaped for a distant future. You also get to see a little bit of this in the excellent Century Rain.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Michael, thanks for the recommendations. I still have Reynolds in my TBR pile. I will add Chasm City for sure.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments It's probably wise to read Revelation Space first but I would definitely check out Chasm City after it. Rev Space will let you know what you're in for and then Chasm City will reel you in with excellent story telling.

You could also read The Prefect before reading the final two Rev Space books as well and not miss anything. You, in fact, might gain something. And if you find yourself getting through all of those DEFINITELY read his book of short stories called Galactic North. The final story in the book (called Galactic North) lets you know what actually happened at the end of the final Rev Space novel and tells you what "Greenfly" is and where it came from or at least gives you a good idea. Don't worry, that doesn't spoil anything. Also, the rest of teh short stories in Galactic North are excellent.

I definitely prefer when Reynolds is trying to write stories that gets a bit closer to the characters. The Rev Space novels, while very good, are almost sterile by comparison to some of his more focused work.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments And you're welcome Christine :)

message 8: by John (new)

John Boettcher (tennisislife) | 3 comments I would start with Chasm City as many others have suggested, but also if you want to get a great idea of the creativity and scope of the imagination of the author, I would also suggest Pushing Ice, or House of Suns, although House of Suns will take you where no space opera has gone before! You will enjoy all of his works though, absolutely amazing author!!

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry Dow | 2 comments I loved the Revelation Space series as well as the stand alone novels - Century Rain, Pushing Ice, The Prefect and the rest. My favourite overall? Hmm....really hard to decide as they are all quality reads.

The new Poseidon's Children series is fairly promising although there's only one book available as I write - got to wait another couple of weeks before I can buy the second.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments John wrote: "I would start with Chasm City as many others have suggested, but also if you want to get a great idea of the creativity and scope of the imagination of the author, I would also suggest Pushing Ice,..."

House of Suns has taken Chasm City's place as my favorite Reynolds novel. It impressed the hell out of me in just about every way and the ending was just about perfect.

message 11: by John (new)

John Boettcher (tennisislife) | 3 comments Absolutely!! I just went back and read my own post and couldn't believe that I said Chasm City to start with. House of Suns is one of the best syfy books I have ever read, and am lucky to have a signed copy of every single book Reynolds has published.

House of Suns all the way!