Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > You are just like your mother/father, no?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I know I can't speak for you, but I know that sometimes I think to myself that I dread the idea of turning into either my mother or father, not always, but sometimes. Mom stresses me out when we talk about money. She and I also disagree sharply about politics. Dad loves to debate stuff, and he's a skilled debater (retired career lobbyist)... so oftentimes, he'd argue stuff until people would just give in to his whim. But seriously, they have some redeeming qualities that I kind of always wanted to emulate.

I would love to have Mom's ease with hosting people. She's a natural. When I think back on my childhood, I realize she made sheltering 30+ people when family would visit seem effortless. She hosted countless dinner parties and crawfish boils, esp. for dad. I have a tendency to want to be a bit of a hermit, but I love having people over to visit. As strange as this might seem, I sometimes think that I'd fall easily into her footsteps in this arena if I just had a dinner table (I've never had one).

I do think I have her hands, though. It used to bother me, and now I think it comforts me.

Oddly enough, my dad can be tender-hearted. He's very sentimental, and kids, elderly, and animals are drawn to him. He cried when we went to see Little Women together... not just silent tears, audible sobs. It just made me want to hug him. Cute little dad. :)

So in your opinion, what's the best quality you've inherited from either of your parents?

message 2: by Aynge (last edited Feb 12, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments The first time I saw my mother in myself was when I was stressing over a paper during my first year in college. I had just cut off my waist-length hair very short. I stood up from my keyboard and looked out the window, and saw a reflection of myself. I looked like my mother. It freaked me out.

During a fight in my first "real" relationship, I shut down, I just stopped talking and refused to fight. While I was stewing, I realized that I was acting exactly like my parents in their marriage. They never yelled and screamed and fought, either. They just stopped talking to each other. The next day I made an appointment to see a shrink.

As for my father, he liked to read. And drink. I got the reading down fine, but ever since I was a child I vowed never to drink. His alcoholism ruined our family, and the smell of him when he'd come home turned my stomach. So I never drank, ever. I used to get a lot of pressure from my friends to start drinking when I was in my 20's. They said I was overreacting. But Dr. Drew on Loveline had said alcoholism was genetic... I talked to my doctor about it, and he sat down and lectured me for ten minutes on why it's a good idea that nobody should ever drink, listing the various diseased associated with consuming alcohol. There are a LOT of them.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

i think i got alot more stuff from my dad than from my mom. im close with her too, but he's helped me alot after i came to live with them.
i think from my mom, ive gotten compassion, culinary skills, a wit, a classy fashion style. she always listens to all my wierd girly hormonal issues whenever i want her to, and she's a great person to debate with.
from my dad, i got tad bits of his wisdom, i taught me never to judge others, and i got support from him in whatever i did. i also learned from him that i should trust others and not have panic attacks if i get an A- on something.
and they both taught me how to love and make good decisions.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No. My parents are fucking crazy and I go out of my way, probably to a fault, to not be like them.

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments I turned into my dad years ago. It's not so bad.

message 6: by Jammies (new)

Jammies For better or worse, I am a blend of both of my parents.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I'm pretty much a clone of my mother in looks, and I got a touch of her OCD. Thankfully, my personality is more of my father. Laid back, easy going, with a dry sense of humor.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Like RA, I have spent most of my life trying NOT to be my mother! With lots of therapy, I think I've succeeded.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.