Book Haven discussion

Buddy Reads > Erewhon by Samuel Butler (**SPOILERS POSSIBLE**)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I finished Erewhon last night.

I found it to be very typically British in tone, parental feelings toward the poor savages, and so on.

I know the book is meant to be satire, but to a modern reader, much of the cleverness isn't as clear. I found myself wishing for Cliff Notes so that I'd get the humor that I was missing as a 21st century reader, although enough of it was clear to keep reading. It does drag quite a bit, especially where Butler is going on and on about machine evolution (mocking Darwin, I think) and then the chapters on food sources and how they never seemed to end.

I did get a bit of help online, for example, it never occurred to me that the Musical Banks were supposed to be a satire of the church.

message 2: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 23 comments Oh where did you get the help on-line? I also would love to have some things made a little more clear. (and I agree, I would have given my eye teeth for Cliff notes, ha!ha!)

I have to say I thought it was hilarious about the animals - particularly when the domesticated animals supposedly committed suicide or inexplicably turned savage. And it was also clever how they eventually worked around the problem by taking up "vegetable rights". Well, it is original, you have to hand it to him!

What will you be reading next? I'm doing the buddy read with "The Souls of Black Folks" by DuBois. In my regular book club we're going to read "Vanity Fair" - I know I'm going to get the Cliff Notes just to save me some time :-)

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I read Vanity Fair in high school. Didn't like it then. Just remember ... Becky Sharp's eyes are green to indicate the envy that she has ...

For Erewhon I checked the wiki, and also Googled, "Erewhon satire meaning".

I also loved the animals dying of natural causes and cows becoming vicious!