O, For Pete's Sake discussion

Don Quixote > Are you in?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ebookwormy1 (new)

Ebookwormy1 (ebookwormy) | 45 comments Okay, so I'm wondering 'whose in' for this next installment of our reading club. If you have decided to join us or are on the fence, hopefully the information I am posting today will be helpful to you.

TRANSLATION
Translation is always a tricky thing, much more of an art than a science. The following is from Susan Wise Bauer's "The Well Trained Mind" which I checked out from the library especially for us!

SUSAN WISE BAUER'S RECOMMENDATIONS
Best edition: The Penguin Classics paperback, translated by John Rutherford. This recent translation reads beautifully and remains faithful to Cervantes's original Spanish text.
Classic edition: There are, however, points to reading Tobias' Smollett's classic translation of 1755, republished as a Modern Library edition by Random House.
Rutherford tried to render Cervantes faithfully, Smollett's translation is closer to a corroboration between himself and Cervantes to produce a popular novel called "Don Quixote", which entered into the English imagination.
Abridged Recommendation: If you get well and truly bogged down in this lengthy book, try the abridgment by Walter Starkie, published by Penguin in 1987

I would also add that when you go to the library, make sure you are comfortable with the size and font of the book, as it is a long one that you'll be reading for awhile.

I am reading Edith Grossman's translation, which I am enjoying. As it was published in 2003, the same year as "Well-Trained Mind", it was an edition not accessible to Wise Bauer in constructing her recommendations. I was surprised at what a quick, whimsical read this was, and easily made it through 50 pages my first day.

As you can see, this book is very accessible at a variety of levels. If you've already read it, or struggled to read it, you might try a different translation to get a fresh look. If you have gotten stuck before, or get stuck on this time through, switch to the abridgment and you can still participate in our discussion.

If you are joining, could you please post the edition you are reading, so we can get a feel for how many people are 'in' and what the spread is across the different options?

looking forward to adventuring with you!
elizabeth

message 2: by Ebookwormy1 (new)

Ebookwormy1 (ebookwormy) | 45 comments I am reading Edith Grossman's translation.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (momof4) | 2 comments I've got the Penguin Classics translated by John Rutherford. I've only read the prologue so I can't add anything yet.

message 4: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmackie) | 7 comments I've got the Penguin edition translated by John Rutherford as well. I've started it, and it is quite whimsical, although some of the chevalier-esque language can get a bit tiresome.

message 5: by Eve (new)

Eve | 3 comments the one I have says it is the Samuel Putnam translation....i don't know what that means, but it was cheap, so we'll see what i get for my cheap-ness??

message 6: by Ebookwormy1 (new)

Ebookwormy1 (ebookwormy) | 45 comments Eve, i'm sure yours is a fine translation, just not recommended by Susan Wise Bauer. If you get stuck, consider one of the others. I don't think the differences in translation will be significant in terms of our discussion.

message 7: by Libby (new)

Libby (shostagirl) | 5 comments I'm reading the Signet Classics version translated by Starkey... it's over 1,000 pages so I don't think it's abridged... it's the copy I own so I'm sticking with it.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrillo (berlinerinpoet) I'm new to this, but I'm "in." I don't know what my copy is, but I know it's unadulterate--er, unabridged.

message 9: by Ebookwormy1 (new)

Ebookwormy1 (ebookwormy) | 45 comments great to have you all!