Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > Funniest scene?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 103 comments Which parts of the series stands out to you because it is funny?

For me it is when they get to America and find out a skunk is outside. Thinking it is some huge dangerous beast they go out armed. Find the little bitty skunk. Which then Ian gets sprayed. LOL

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (Cherlena) | 22 comments Here's one that struck my funny bone...at the beginning of Drums of Autumn when Jamie and Claire are walking through the crush of people at the docks.

Claire says to Jamie...

"You're a walking inducement to harlots," I said. "Stick with me; I'll protect you."

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (mamacass79) | 26 comments I love Diana's humor so much I don't think I could ever pick a favorite!

message 4: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments How about the scene in ABOSAA where Claire and Jem are baking cookies, Jem tells her and Bree that one of the other children has lice and while checking Jem, the cookies starting burning, Jamie comes in along with Roger and well one thing leads to another. Cookies end up on the floor and so on and so on... . And it ends up with Jamie shaving Jem's head.

message 5: by Wan (last edited Feb 15, 2011 01:08PM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments That one was so funny. It got me laugh so hard. I cried.

message 6: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I was so happy i cried for Rog and Jem - love that moment!

message 7: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments I'm reading ABOSAA and it's very exciting. I'm glad Claire was able to laugh after her abduction. Remember this?
Jamie confessed, "Ah...naked women", (I'm going uh oh...)"You" Claire said, "come here right now. Sit down right there and tell me in words of one syllable exactly what you've been doing."

message 8: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments That was another good one. So many!!!

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments ~~~~Possible Spoiler~~~~

What book did Roger almost get hanged? There is a really funny scene that I'm thinking of but I can't remember what book it's in or the exact circumstances. I'll have to go back through them to find it.

message 10: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Fiery Cross

message 11: by Carrie (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:44PM) (new)

Carrie | 9 comments Ok, I can't find the one I'm thinking of. I think it takes place sometime around the battle at Alamance in the FC. It's when Claire was helping the wounded and someone was betting Jamie that he couldn't aim into a bucket at a certain distance. Does anyone know the scene I'm talking about and where it is?

message 12: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Haha, yeah. Jamie started a peeing contest with his contestants to lighten the mood. But I think that happens just before Culloden in Dragonfly. They get interrupted when the Bonny Prince comes walking through.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I love the part in the beginning of ABOSAA when Rollo comes to find someone when Ian is hurt and Claire says, "Bloody Timmy's in the well!" Makes me laugh every time :D

message 14: by Mary G. (last edited Feb 21, 2011 08:07PM) (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Carrie wrote: "Ok, I can't find the one I'm thinking of. I think it takes place sometime around the battle at Alamance in the FC. It's when Claire was helping the wounded and someone was betting Jamie that he cou..."
That was after Prestonpans in Dragonfly in Amber.

message 15: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Kimberly wrote: "I love the part in the beginning of ABOSAA when Rollo comes to find someone when Ian is hurt and Claire says, "Bloody Timmy's in the well!" Makes me laugh every time :D"

Kimberly... love that as well. I think of that often because Claire was always using present day saying back then... HA! She is my favorite female character to date. Strong, beautiful, stubborn, always willing to help and she loves her man with no excuses. I think of claire as a best friend!

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Leea wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I love the part in the beginning of ABOSAA when Rollo comes to find someone when Ian is hurt and Claire says, "Bloody Timmy's in the well!" Makes me laugh every time :D"

Kimberly..."

I feel the exact same way about Claire! I admire her strength and how she can hold it together in any scenario. I feel like I know all of the characters and they're a part of me :)

message 17: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 22, 2011 10:13AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Another favorite scene of mine is when Bree tells Jamie about Disneyland and Mickey Mouse:

"...You can go up and shake hands with Mickey Mouse, or--"
"With what?"
"Mickey Mouse." She laughed. "A big mouse, life-size--human-size, I mean. He wears gloves."
"A giant rat?" he said, sounding slightly stunned. "And they take the weans to play with it?"
"Not a rat, a mouse," she corrected him. "And it's really a person dressed up as a mouse."
"Oh aye?" he said, not sounding terribly reassured.

I love that scene! :D

message 18: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments That was a good scene. I can just picture Jamie's face when told about a giant mouse! However, it was Bree that told Jamie about Mickey Mouse, not Claire.

message 19: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 22, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Thanks for the correction, Carren! I'm a dork :-P I corrected my post.

message 20: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Kimberly: You're not a dork. There are just so many great scenes from the books, that we tend to sometimes forget who said what, when or where.

message 21: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Yeah i forgot all about that scene... thanks ladies for helping me remember :) I love them all :)

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie | 19 comments I think a funny moment was when Roger baptised a baby girl, and the young couple named the baby after him,and called her Rogerina. Bree thought this was highly amusing, and so did i!
Ithink that was what happened but can't be bothered to look it up right now.

message 23: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Another great scene --When Jamie and young Ian visit the Indian village and the two Indian women end up in Jamie 's bed.

message 24: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Carren, i love that one!!! Ian thought it was SO funny and Jamie was all nervous about offending the women. Then he went home to claire for some lovin"

message 25: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Yeah (sigh: ( )

message 26: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 103 comments Carren wrote: "Another great scene --When Jamie and young Ian visit the Indian village and the two Indian women end up in Jamie 's bed."

Which book is this in? Poor Jamie. He is such a sweet man. HAHA

message 27: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments A Breath of Snow and Ashes

message 28: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 107 comments Yup, ABOSAA and I thought it was funnier when he had to confess. I think that was one of the few times Claire was pissed. I can see she grinded her teeth after every words commanded Jamie to cough it out...in English, no less.

message 29: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments And using words with less than one syllable

message 30: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Carren wrote: "Another great scene --When Jamie and young Ian visit the Indian village and the two Indian women end up in Jamie 's bed."

Don't forget -- they were NAKED.

message 31: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I forgot that part!

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan Pretty sure I laugh during Fergus and Marsali's wedding every time.

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie | 19 comments Hey Megan, I was just thinking about writing about their wedding, when you added a comment on the subject. Great minds think aliike!

Yes it was really funny,especially when the Priest asked if he was also missing a certain man's body part!

message 34: by Tihana (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:42AM) (new)

Tihana (tihana_split) | 41 comments Agreed, I adore the wedding scene, it's hilarious.

I also loved Jamie's confession in TFC and Marsali and Brianna's conversation after the christening.

Oh and Jamie's song in half Latin when he was teaching Ian in DOA.

These funny moments one of my favourite things about these books, Diana has such a great sense of humour and she adds them constantly, which makes them even better. I could never pick my favourite one, because mentioning one, I think of another in a second.

message 35: by Teresita (last edited Mar 02, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people about it and everyone laughs. Hope I said it right. I found that pretty funny. I am trying to picture Claire trying to defend Jamie against the bear with the fish. I can't remember exactly how it went but I found it funny.
Reminded me of something that would happen in an episode of I Love Lucy or something.

message 36: by Teresita (last edited Mar 03, 2011 03:44AM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Wan "Artemis", the Dark-Hunters' Goddess wrote: "Carren wrote: "Another great scene --When Jamie and young Ian visit the Indian village and the two Indian women end up in Jamie 's bed."

Don't forget -- they were NAKED."
yes Wan 'artemis' I just thought of that..I am trying to picture Jamie's reaction and how he could not wait to get to Claire. It was cute and funny. you gotta love Jamie. he is so faithful.
No and in DRAGONFLY IN AMBER when Jamie came home after being out all night and he said he watched while the prostitutes did it with the guys while he watched. and Claire said 'YOU WATCHED?!' I LOVE THAT SCENE...poor Jamie ...That has to be my favorite of all or one of them.

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan LOL, all of these scenes are making me want to reread the entire series!

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people about it and everyone laughs. Hope I said it ..."

Does anyone know the book or page # for this? I must reread this scene.

message 39: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Here are some quotes about what you ladies are talking about... I'm kinda on a quote-fest today :)

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon

Ian opened one eye a slit.
"Has anyone ever told you what a comical fellow ye are, Uncle Jamie?"
"No."
Ian closed the eye.
"That's as well, because ye’re not."

"James Fraser, Indian Agent," I said, closing one eye as though reading it off a screen. "It sounds like a Wild West television show."
Jamie paused in the act of pulling off his stockings, and eyed me warily. "It does? Is that good?"
"Insofar as the hero of a television show never dies, yes."
"In that case, I'm in favor of it," he said, examining the stocking he'd just pulled off. He sniffed it suspiciously, rubbed a thumb over a thin patch on the heel, shook his head, and tossed it into the laundry basket. "Must I sing?"

"Ian, there is a woman in my bed," he said in Gaelic, trying to match his nephew’s calm tone.
"There are two of them, Uncle Jamie." Ian sounded amused, damn him! "The other will be down by your feet. Waiting her turn."
That unnerved him, and he nearly lost his grip on the captive hand.
"Two of them! What do they think I am?"
The girl giggled again, leaned over, and bit him lightly on the chest.
"Christ!"

"Well. So. At least now I know why you’ve been coming back from the Cherokee villages in such a state of—of—" I felt an unhinged giggle rising, and bent over, moaning as I stifled it. "Oh, Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ. And here I thought it was thoughts of me, driving you mad with lust."
He snorted then himself, though mildly. He put down the cup, rose, and turned back the coverlet. Then he looked at me, and his eyes were clear, unguarded.
"Claire," he said, quite gently, "it was you. It’s always been you, and it always will be."

*** This one is really funny about Jem writing his name LMAO***

"I wrote my name! Grandda showed me!"
"Oh, you did? Well, good for you!" Brianna beamed at him, then her brow furrowed. "What—just now?"
"Yes! Come see afore it's covered up!"
She looked at Jamie under lowered brows.
"Da, you didn't."
He took a piece of fresh toast from the platter, and spread it neatly with butter. "Aye, well," he said, "there's got to be some advantage still to being a man, even if no one pays a bit of heed to what ye say."

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan Leea wrote: "Here are some quotes about what you ladies are talking about... I'm kinda on a quote-fest today :)

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon

Ian opened one eye a slit.
"Has anyone ever t..."

And I'm loving your quote-fest :)

message 41: by Teresita (last edited Mar 02, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people about it and everyone laughs..." wasn't that in DRUMS OF AUTUMN...i think it was. I believe it was before Bree and Roger went to the past and found Jamie and claire. when Claire first put on breeches and I think they were staying at aunt Jacosta's house. if i am not mistaken.

message 42: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people about it and everyone laughs..."

all i know is it's in Drums i looked on the www.lallybroch.com but did not find it. Sorry

message 43: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Leea wrote: "Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people ..." don't know but am almost positive it is in the Drums for Autumn book. Where Jamie was attacked by the bear.

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people about it and everyone laughs..."

I believe it is in Chapter 15 Noble Savages in Drums (or thereabouts) :)

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan Teresita wrote: "Leea wrote: "Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie ..."

Thanks, I'll do some searching tonight.

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan Kimberly wrote: "Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Teresita wrote: "I think it was when Claire started swinging the fish or or tried to hit the bear with it to distract the bear from killing Jamie and Jamie tells people ..."

Thanks, I'll skim that chapter tonight.

message 47: by Teresita (last edited Mar 03, 2011 03:42AM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments even in Echo in the Bone before he meets up with Claire again after sr Ian's death while Jamie is at a party he tells people of that incident with the fish and the bear and everyone starts laughing.

message 48: by Leah (new)

Leah (leah_moss) | 91 comments Jamie vs. Bouton!
I am listening to Dragonfly in Amber right now, and I was giggling today when Jamie mets Mother's Hildegarde's dog, Bouton, at L'Hopital des Agnes. They have this whole conversation while Bouton is growling at him as he is guarding the door while the porter is away..Jamie is so adorable! And Claire was hiding and watching the whole time.
"Think it over, laddie, I'm a damn sight bigger than you. I wouldna undertake any rash ventures, if I were you."..."Faster, too"..."I don't have to put up wi' this, ye ken."
DIA ch15 pg212-213 paperback

message 49: by Tihana (new)

Tihana (tihana_split) | 41 comments Oh, I so love that scene. DIA is such an amazing book, but so sad. That's why I skipped it and went from Cross Stitch to Voyager. I need to get back to it, but it always makes me cry, so I'll wait for a bit before I listen to it.

message 50: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I'll say it again, so many great scenes!

« previous 1