Robert Rankin Fansprouts discussion

The Brightonomicon

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 4 comments Possibly one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. I don't know if it was the mood I was in at the time, but ridiculousness of it had me in stitches.

I'd like to read another book starring Hugo Rune, but I'm not sure if another book would ruin his charm, somehow.

What do you think?

message 2: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 7 comments Well, Hugo Rune appears in several previous books, although not in such a prominent role, and sometimes he's actually the baddie (or his evil twins/selves are).

Rune and Rizla return as the protagonists of "Retromancer", which I still have to start reading, currently going through "Necrophenia" and not enjoying it much, I must say... didn't like "The Brightonomicon" very much either, I must also admit, especially the ending, which I found rather "forced", felt a bit like an afterthought, can't explain why, it'd be a big spoiler...

Ler's just say I'm more of a Brentford lad, me... :)

message 3: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 4 comments Gomez wrote: "Well, Hugo Rune appears in several previous books, although not in such a prominent role, and sometimes he's actually the baddie (or his evil twins/selves are).

Rune and Rizla return as the protag..."

I'm still working my way through Rankin's books. I'm up to The Sprouts of Wrath in the Brentford Trilogy (having read The Brightonomicon out of order) but I have to say Brightonomicon is my favourite Rankin book so far. The only non-Brentford book I've read is The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, which was... odd, and I have Nostradamus Ate My Hamster on my book shelf in wait.

I knew Rune was in other books, but I didn't realise he was the main man in any of the other stories. And to appear with Rizla again, I'll definitely be picking that one up.

If only I didn't have about 18 books on my shelf that I've bought and am yet to read!

message 4: by Gomez (last edited Feb 26, 2011 06:11AM) (new)

Gomez Addams | 7 comments Take your time, mate... I used to read 4-5 Terry Pratchett's and Robert Rankin's books every year, and well remember the sadness when I did eventually catch up with the current series, having to wait for new books to be published, barely one every year to read... it's terrible! :)

Here's a list of all books where Hugo Rune more or less appears, sometimes just "behind the scene"...

The Cornelius Murphy series:

The Book of Ultimate Truths
Raiders of the Lost Car Park
The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived

And:

The Sprouts of Wrath
The Witches of Chiswick
The Brightonomicon
Retromancer

Just for the record, there's also a Wiki page dedicated to Hugo Rune, but I wouldn't recommend visiting it if you haven't read most of the books yet... lots of spoilers lurking there... :)

Ah, and... my advice is go through Rankin's work in chronological order... it's not always indispensable from a narrative point of view, but the man just loves bouncing characters around series, as you can see.

message 5: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 4 comments Thanks for the advice, Gomez. I noticed there seemed to be little reference to preceding stories with the first few Brentford books; I don't think it would have made a difference which order I'd read them in, but I like to read these things in order of release anyway.

On a side note, if you like Terry Pratchett (I'm considerably more up to date on his work) there's a decent goodreads group that I run for his works; http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

The more active members the better :-D

message 6: by Gomez (last edited Feb 27, 2011 12:01AM) (new)

Gomez Addams | 7 comments Yeah, not a lot of references to previous books in the early Brentford chapters, but you'd really need to tackle the later sub-series, like Armageddon and Cornelius, in the correct order, or it'd give you quite a bit of a headache trying to understand what's going on...

As a reader put in her review...
"I'm not entirely sure what happened but I'm pretty sure I liked it."
Which rather nicely sums up Rankin's writing style, methinks... :)

As for Pratchett, thanks for the invitation, but I've already joined that group, even before this one... it's just that I haven't found anything to comment about, yet, but I might pretty soon, on a grey and freezing cold sunday like this... :)

BTW, it's thanks to Pratchett that I discovered Rankin, quite casually... I was home with a flu, finished the Pratchett's book I had been reading and, rather obviously, wanted more, so, although still feverish, I donned some warm clothes over my jim-jams and went to the nearest bookshop.

Unfortunately, or rather luckily, in this case, they didn't have any I hadn't read already, at the time, so I moved on to the next author on their alphabetically listed "Fantasy" (!) shelf, and Rankin just happened to come straight after Pratchett, so I picked up The Antipope, and that was it... hooked... again! :)

message 7: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 4 comments Yeah, Pratchett is (a little less directly) responsible for my finding Robert Rankin. A friend said, "If you like Terry Pratchett, you should try Robert Rankin," so I did!

I was listening to a lot of audiobooks at the time, and got hold of The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse and the The Brightonomicon radio production, and the physical books soon followed.

message 8: by Jay (new)

Jay (weaselpipe) | 7 comments Pratchett led me to Rankin as they shared a shelf and I liked the covers

message 9: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 7 comments Isn't it wonderful, when it's just the perambulation of cosmic anti-matter leading you to the discovery of an author you'll love? :)

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay (weaselpipe) | 7 comments Well I had come via an Inter-rossiter so I shouldn't have been surprised, if you know what I mean and I'm sure that you do