The Novella Club discussion

Introduce yourself/meet and greet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 356 (356 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Really glad to be invited to join this group, looking forward to reading with and talking to you

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Thanks and welcome. I really love short novels. I'm not at all sure I know what I'm doing as moderator, so be patient with me.

I thought we could start with The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West and then next month I'd open a poll to select our next book.

I'd like to start some discussions....but must think up some interesting topics. Feel free to start a topic.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the invite, Ivan. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.

message 4: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Oh, Jeanette, thank you so much for accepting the invitation.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks for the invitation Vikz and I hope to join the forthcoming discussions.

message 6: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Welcome Laura. I do hope everyone will enjoy the Rebecca West as much as I am.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to try to get the book on ILL; my own library doesn't have it.

message 8: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I do know that it's on Google books.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Great! It's free to download. :)

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Jeannette wrote: "Great! It's free to download. :)"

I haven't found it, have you?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's on google books (which I found through google)

http://books.google.com/ebooks?as_brr...

It looks like you need to download their e-reader software, and I am assuming it will run to the PC/mac the same way the Kindle reader does. (I'm supposed to be at the grocery store right now! I'll try this later.)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you find the book, Laura? I just signed on with my gmail account, and can read what looks like a photocopy of the book, with illustrations. For web viewing there wasn't any e-reader software to download.

message 13: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
No, I think you'd have to read it on line. I know nothing of e-readers.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 12, 2011 02:31PM) (new)

On the homepage for google books, it lists support for "the Web, Android phones, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and supported eReaders." Right now they support Nook, and Sony Reader.

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/d...

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura I forgot about these details Jeanette, thank so much for the tip!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I forgot about these details Jeanette, thank so much for the tip!!"

Most welcome, Laura. I hope you were able to find the book. :) Thanks to Ivan for finding it on google.

I think it's such a good thing that so many out-of-print books are available on-line. I don't want to buy an e-reader of any sort, but I will sit at my computer screen and read a book like this.

message 17: by SarahC (last edited Feb 13, 2011 02:24PM) (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 126 comments Hi Ivan and all. This is a wonderful idea for a group. And I just found the Rebecca West on your Google ebooks link. It is also available for audio MP3 download here:

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/book...

I have been taking a few classics to the walking track lately.

I havent had a listen yet though, so can't personally vouch for the quality -- my downloads from there have been good so far though.

But anyway, thanks for starting the group and I look forward to joining in.

message 18: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Welcome SarahC - glad you're joining us.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura I also found another link to the e-book version:

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wome...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for both of the links, Sarah & Laura! :)

message 21: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 126 comments Thanks Ivan, very much. I linked in and then chose to read Return of strait from the web (I don't own any devices either and don't have Kindle PC loaded on this particular computer) and it seems to start with page 9. Anyone else noticed that and/or have suggestions?

message 22: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 126 comments And, I just looked at Laura's link and it starts from the beginning, so I can stay with that if nothing else works.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The one I loaded from google books starts with Chapter 1, page 3. Was there a back arrow? Google books has illustrations, too. But, the pages are really short, so the book is about 185 pages long.

message 24: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 126 comments Did you download the version into your Kindle PC? The one that was cut off was straight read online, so I wondered -- it does operate with back and forwards arrows but it would not take me backward from that page 9 or whatever it was.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I just view it via my google account, so it's just html, I suppose. There was no viewer involved for this one.

Do you have a google account? I use it for gmail, and for blogger, and now for google books. Google -- the new evil empire. ;)

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura By the way, when are you planning to start to read it??

message 27: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Tomorrow. BTW, Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura already?? where are we going to post our comments?

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 14, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

Happy Valentine's Day!

I am just finishing Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, and then I will start The Return of the Soldier, by Wednesday probably.

Will you be posting the discussion thread tomorrow, Ivan?

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura well, in my country, Valentine's Day is in June 12th.....

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, Happy Valentine's Day in advance, Laura! ;)

I think we have it in February in the Northern Hemisphere to break up the cold days between Christmas and Easter.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura Jeannette wrote: "Well, Happy Valentine's Day in advance, Laura! ;)

I think we have it in February in the Northern Hemisphere to break up the cold days between Christmas and Easter."

your explanation makes sense Jeannette since in June is winter down here.

message 33: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 126 comments Yes, I got to the ebook directly through my google account also (I have google everything as well) but still got that oddly beginning version. Will try again or just use the other etext link from Laura. Since we are doing just one thread with spoilers, I will wait til I am completely finished and join in.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 14, 2011 04:17PM) (new)

weird. Any way that works, I suppose.

Does clicking on the table of contents tab only take you to page 9?

message 35: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Hello everyone, Thanks Ivan for the invitation, I am looking forward to discussions :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Knarik! Nice to meet you.

message 37: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Welome to the group Knarik.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Knarik wrote: "Hello everyone, Thanks Ivan for the invitation, I am looking forward to discussions :)"

Welcome

message 39: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Glad you've joined us Jaime.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Jaime wrote: "Hi :)"

welcome

message 41: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Thank you :)

message 42: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:53AM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) Thanks for the invitation! I found the novelle in my library, with crackling yellowed pages and a publication date of 1918! I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to have checked it out in a while....

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucky you! The book would have not have escaped the library book sale at my library. Welcome!

message 44: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Thanks for the invitation! I found the novelle in my library, with crackling yellowed pages and a publication date of 1918! I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to have checked it out in a while...."

That copy sounds divine to me. Thanks for accepting the invite, and welcome to the group.

message 45: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hi everyone! I just joined and look forward to the group reads. Love the theme of this group and form of the novella.

Best,
Kristen

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kristen! Welcome to the group! :)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Kristen wrote: "Hi everyone! I just joined and look forward to the group reads. Love the theme of this group and form of the novella.

Best,
Kristen"

welcome to the group

message 48: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Welcome Kristen.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Jeff! I like your attitude about reading.

message 50: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Me. I so happy you accepted the invite. Welcome. I just bought a nice edition of "Heart of Darkness" yesterday. Now I've got to hurry an finish what I'm currently reading. [I hate pressure!].

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8