Historical Tour de Genre discussion

Reviews > Historial Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (crazylilcuban) I didn't see a topic started for Historical Fantasy, so I thought I'd start one. I hadn't intended to use this for one my sub-genres, but I just happened to recently read a novella that I thought fit this one well.

It's The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu.

Here's a link to my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/136124521

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
4 stars

This book is the first in a series set in the time of the Napoleonic Wars. In this world, dragons exist and are used for military combat. The story centers on Capt Will Laurence in the British navy, who captures a French frigate which has a dragon egg as her cargo. Capt Laurence's life changes when the egg hatches and the dragon Temperaire enters his life. This initial story is about the development of the relationship between the two as they go through military training together. The descriptions of how the dragons are used in battle are captivating. I will continue to read this series.

message 3: by JoLene (last edited Feb 27, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) Historical fantasy is one of my favorite sub-genres bringing together my love of HF with fantasy elements (mostly magic ). I know this is a new genre for some of you so here are some recommendations if you want to fill this category. (I have not read all of Kay's works, or all of the Arthurian saga but have read everything else)

Guy Gavriel Kay has written many books that are categorized as historical fantasy (although many are very light on the fantasy elements). Kay created an alternate Europe and then has written several novels contained in that world. One of my favorites is The Lions of al-Rassan is set in Spain and the depicts the battle for the Iberian penninsula between different cultures.Tigana is set in "Italy", The Last Light of the Sun is set in "Scandinavia" and Sarantine Mosaic series starting with Sailing to Sarantiumand it's sequel are set in "Byzantium empire". There is also A Song for Arbonne set in "France", but I think that it is not in exactly the same world.

stephen r lawhead: christian fantasy author of many trilogies and one Authorian series with strong historical context. I will name series but link to first book:
Pendragon Chronicles (King Arthur): Taliesin
Celtic Crusades: The Iron Lance
Robin Hood legend: Hood

Susan Carroll has a series about a family of sisters which have magical elements. The first book is called The Dark Queen

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead
4 stars
The book is the first in the Pendragon Chronciles by Lawhead. It is a retelling of the Arthur legend. An interesting twist to Lawhead's version is that he starts with the story of Merlin's parents (in this book). Merlin's mother is from Atlantis and his father is Welsh (Cymry). Much of the historical touchpoints seem a bit inaccurate --- but the story/characters are compelling enough that they can be easily overlooked.

NOTE: Lawhead is a Christian fantasy writer so there is a fair amount that is devoted to Christain believes.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Dawn of Avalon - Historical fantasy

My 4-star review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (leavesofheritage) | 5 comments Heraby Julien Longo
5 stars

Hera, by Julien Longo is a story about Hera, a girl who is coming of age. In a ritual initiation to become a huntress, ancient powers awaken in Hera and bring forth a situation that harms her best friend, Artemis. The events that take place after, lead Hera on a path to become the High Priestess of the Emerald Temple. Long held family secrets are learned, and many sacrifices are made.

This was a beautifully written story that intertwined Greek mythology with Atlantis lore. All the key players are present, and the storyline is original. There were some minor technical issues, but overall, well written. I truly enjoyed this read, and look forward to the next books in the series.

**side note, I saw a post on Amazon by SY Price who said that the book was incomplete and poorly written. He/ she stated that it would be a good young adult book, but basically wasn't meaty enough for an adult. I edit books and felt that this book was well written, but in need of a final profreading. The language was fairly plain, but the story was intriguing, and it had some sexual elements that are not for YA readers (as most YA readers are teens). As for incomplete, the book is part of a series. Just my two cents.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) (shelliesshelves) Just finished - The Oracle of Stamboul - set in the late 1800s in what is now Turkey - its really historical magical/mystical realism.

It was such a gorgeous read. 4.5 stars. My review on Goodreads also links to my blog that has a bit of some historical background on the blog post. I stink at history so it helped me fill in some of the bald spots around my lack of historical knowledge.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 8 comments A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

5 star review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 10: by Heather C (new)

Heather C | 17 comments Queen of the Summer Stars by Persia Woolley - 4 stars

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...