YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > Old book scenes topic *closed to new posts*

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 18, 2011 11:17PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Self Explanatory.

Please be respectful of spoilers.

What is a spoiler :

If a person becomes a vampire in book 3 of a series, you might not want to feature a scene in which he's talking about being a vampire. People reading book 1 aren't informed of this yet.

If you post a scene where it features something that might clue you in on who the girl picks in a love triangle, that's a spoiler.

Death. People dying are spoilers.

What isn't a spoiler :

Love scenes featuring a couple that you already know are a couple, or if you will figure it out pretty much right off the bat in the first book.

Anything that isn't major to the plotline, even if people didn't know it before. Minor spoilers are okay.

If you choose to include a scene that has a spoiler, please use spoiler tags :

< spoiler>Your spoiler text here< /spoiler>

remove the spaces before posting.

Also, please post the book so we know what you're referencing. When you click on add book/author, scroll down to the bottom and check the circle that says "cover" instead of link.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The Golden Spiral (Hourglass Door Trilogy, #2) by Lisa Mangum

Jason traced the fingertips across the back of my hand, resting lightly on my wrist. He was sitting so close - almost too close.

The panic rose from a whine to a howl. I tried to shift away.

Jason's smile was indulgent and teasing. "Every college is fighting over you. Speaking of which, have you picked one yet?"

"Emery," I said automatically. It was hard to concentrate.

"Really?" Jason frowned. "When did that happen? Last night you were looking at USC."

"USC didn't want me."

"Since when?" Jason laughed. "Your acceptance letter came weeks ago."

The blue-white haze hardened into a ring of ice, chilling my blood. The longer this conversation went on, the more things were wrong with it.

"At least you and Natalie are still together," I said, unsettled by the wrongness that filled the room.

Jason looked at me strangely.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm not dating Natalie. We're dating. In fact we're going out tonight to celebrate - remember?"

The edges of my vision rippled as the world did its horrible inside-out trick, and another wave of white-hot pain contracted through me.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 11, 2011 04:17PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The Golden Spiral (Hourglass Door Trilogy, #2) by Lisa Mangum

Dante began to circle around me slowly, drinking in the sight of me from all angles. I shifted a little, turning slightly to keep my face toward him. I wanted to see as much of him as I could too. To be so close to him and yet no closer was agony. Once again, I shifted my weight from my heels to my toes, ready to take that final step and be in his arms.

"No," he said, his voice low in his throat. "Not yet. Wait."

I closed my eyes, all my senses attuned to tracking his progress as he stepped closer to me in an ever-tightening spiral. I could feel him behind me, the heat from his body arcing to mine like lightning. A whisper of air breathed along the back of my neck. I felt him curve around my right side. He passed in front of me, and I caught his familiar scent. I heard the rustle of his clothes as he walked slowly and deliberately around me, close enough to touch, but still a world away.

Then I felt him lean down and I heard him whisper in my ear. "Mio angelo. You are even more beautiful than I remember. How is that possible?"

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't even care if I'm the only one posting in here. It's like my own personal space. :p

Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead

I hung up and went to find Roman. I expected him to have practically finished the search, but instead, I found him playing ball with some kids over in a clearing near the trees. Roman's throws were gentle and carefully aimed so as to make it easy for the kids to catch the ball. I stood off to the side, watching them in wonder. He actually seemed pretty into it, and the oddity of a sociopath half-angelic bastard playing with small children wasn't lost on me.

Roman caught sight of me watching them and tossed the ball over to a little girl. He left the circle to approach me, much to the dismay of the kids left behind.. They entreated him to stay, but he merely waved and told them he had to go.

"Maybe we can come back later," he said jovially.

"I can't decide if that was cute or creepy," I told him. "Maybe a little of both."

"Why creepy? I only kill immortal beings. Not kids."

message 5: by Katty (new)

Katty | 418 comments great topic!!! I'll intrude your personal space later, but right now I'm very busy with BDB, loving it! =D

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh nice. :)

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) I read your personal space but I don't know the books to contribute any words, however I do add them to my TBR list :)

message 8: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) One of my favourite scenes is actually from Clockwork Prince which isn't out yet.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I bet now you'll start paying attention to random scenes when you read books though. That kind of stuff you don't notice until someone brings it up and then you start bookmarking everything...

message 10: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
:( i want Clockwork Prince sooo fricken bad!!

message 11: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Haha right! xD

message 12: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Artemis wrote: ":( i want Clockwork Prince sooo fricken bad!!"

Me too!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) How hot was that little scene I posted from Golden Spiral though? I love Dante...sigh.

message 14: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Stacia ~ ran out of lette... wrote: "How hot was that little scene I posted from Golden Spiral though? I love Dante...sigh."

I wanna read those too. *Sigh*

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) You've seen this one before but it's buried in some random thread so I'm reposting.

Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

I'm not sure what made me look up, what made me search the crowd for Ethan, but I did. I saw Lacey first. Her expression was blank, emotionless. If she was touched by the song, by the lyrics, she didn't show it.
He stood beside her, arms crossed. His gaze...on me.
We looked at each other over the vampires, over the music, his eyes catching the glow of the garden lights, centuries of history in his gaze.
Centuries that had made him cold.
And then his voice echoed through my head. Merit.
He silently called my name, even as he stood beside her.
Liege? I answered back.
His eyes glinted. Don't call me that.
There is nothing else for me to call you. You are my employer. That is the deal we've struck.
There was something helpless in his eyes now, but I wasn't going to fall for it again.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost

The other vampire dropped his hands from the little boy, and his gaze narrowed on my knife.

"Silver," he muttered.

The gig was up. "Deploy!" I screamed, knowing Bones would hear me, and flung the knife.

It buried into his chest to the hilt. I leapt on him in almost the same movement, knocking him over to give a few rough twists of the blade. At the same time, something heavy landed on me. And Cushy. It was the vampire in the Chuck E. Cheese getup.

Our struggles had us rolling, me attempting to stab deep enough to penetrate the costume.

"Leave Chucky alone!" I heard a child wail. Several more screamed.

Talk about emotionally scarring these kids, watching what must appear to be a crazy woman trying to stab their beloved icon to death. They'd have nightmares for years unless Bones wiped their memories.

message 17: by Schay (last edited Feb 21, 2011 02:26PM) (new)

Schay | 740 comments The first book in the Vampire Academy series. Still makes me go all mushy and stuff :)
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

"The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it to work." When he didn't say anything, I tried to grip his shirt, but my fingers were too weak. "Did you? Did you want me?"
His words came out thickly. "Yes, Roza. I did want you. I still do. I wish... we could be together."
"Then why did you lie to me?"
We reached the clinic, and he managed to open the door while still holding me. As soon as he stepped inside, he began yelling for help.
"Why did you lie?" I murmured again.
Still holding me in his arms, he looked down at me. I could hear voices and footsteps getting closer.
"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing, right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said.
"But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's gaurdians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I love that scene. :)

message 19: by Schay (last edited Feb 21, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Schay | 740 comments Stacia ~ ran out of lette... wrote: "I love that scene. :)"

I wanted to post THAT scene between Rose and Dimitri in Last Sacrifice but that probably counts as a spoiler.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) Schay wrote: "The first book in the Vampire Academy series. Still makes me go all mushy and stuff :)

"The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it t..."

I love that scene :)

message 21: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Schay wrote: "The first book in the Vampire Academy series. Still makes me go all mushy and stuff :)

"The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it t..."

@Schay, awesome post!
@Stacia, anything with Bones in it is a memorable scene.. :)

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) Isamlq wrote: "Schay wrote: "The first book in the Vampire Academy series. Still makes me go all mushy and stuff :)

"The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care abo..."

Haha agreed! Anything with Bones is memorable :) *sigh*

message 23: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:00AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4) by Lisa Kleypas

has a mild sexual reference, nothing real out there though.

"Did I hurt you?" she managed to ask, recalling how she had inadvertently pushed on his wounded shoulder. "Does it ache in the morning?"

Leo hesitated before replying. "No, it eventually eased after you left. But the devil knows it wouldn't take much to start up again."

Catherine was overcome with remorse. "I'm so sorry. Should we put a poultice on it?"

"A poultice?" he repeated blankly. "On my...oh. We're talking about my shoulder?"

She blinked in confusion. "Of course we're talking about your shoulder. What else would we be discussing?"

"Cat..." Leo looked away from her. To her surprise, there was a tremor of laughter in his voice. "When a man is aroused and left unsatisfied, he usually aches for a while afterward."

"Where?"

He gave her a speaking glance.

"You mean..." A wild blush raced over her as she finally understood. "Well, I don't care if you ache 'there,' I was only concerned about your wound!"

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, oh, love it! I'll have to read this series!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Well I know you're a Kleypas fan already, having read Wallflowers. I love her stories. She's so much fun. :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I am. I don't think I'll have to be afraid of not liking her other series. She's real fun!

message 27: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Stacia ~ the duchess of spork wrote: "Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4) by Lisa Kleypas

has a mild sexual reference, nothing real out there though.

"Did I hurt you?" she managed to ask, recalling how she had inadvertently pushed on his wo..."

epic! i just coughed up some
coffee.... so glad you recommended the series!

message 28: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Isa, I am such a Kleypas fangirl now. Can't wait to start some of her other series.

This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

I have no idea why most of the scenes I like are a bit racier. Sorry bout that. :p

"I'm so cold my teeth would chatter if they still could. And I'm hungry enough that both of you are starting to look really, really good."

Vlad's lips curled. "Is this the part where I'm supposed to remind you that this is just the leftover power talking and you don't really want to cheat on Bones?"

"Not that kind of hungry!" I gasped, eyes bulging that Vlad thought I'd just casually thrown out that I wanted him and Mencheres to double-team me.

Without thought, my gaze flew to the areas in question before skipping away once I realized what I was doing.

"My dear Reaper," Vlad said, still laughing. "Did you just check out our-"

"No!" I interrupted at once, almost lunging toward the staircase. "I'm tired and still dazed from the Remnants and...forget it, I'm taking a shower. I mean, not a cold shower, because I don't need that-because I am cold already, and I need to get hot. I mean warmer. Oh, just shut up!"

"Don't you even think of poltergeisting my panties again," I warned him, adding in a louder voice. "That goes for everyone else here, too."

"This is the sod?" Bones started down the porch stairs even as Winston began to edge away. "Come back here, you scurvy little-"

"Bones, don't!" I interrupted, not wanting him to start using slurs that might offend the other living-impaireds gathered here.

He stopped, giving a last glare to Winston while mouthing, You. Me. Exorcist, before returning to my side.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahaha I loved those too! "Did you just check out our--" ... "You. Me. Exorcist". LOL

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) Lool ohhh all these quotes are really making me want to read it! Stupid England for not releasing until tomorrow! Hopefully I'll have a copy tomorrow.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll cross my fingers, Jess!

message 32: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:19PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I had memories of VA book 4's Dimitri with this scene.

Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins

I drove my elbow back, while at the same time attempting to drive my boot heel as hard as I could into his instep.

He blocked both easily, pulling back even as he tightened his grip on my waist.

For a second I felt real panic. Anyone who could block Prodigium Defense moves was a lot more dangerous than some random pervert. I was about to try Skill Fifteen, which involved both breaking his nose and potentially ending his chances of ever having kids, when my captor bent down and whispered in my ear, "Don't even think about it, Mercer."

message 33: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 02, 2011 10:49PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher

He leaned a fraction of an inch closer and wrapped his long fingers around one of her braids. An insistent tug on her braid tipped her head back and she was sure she'd felt his lips brush along her neck, her cheek.

She felt more alive than she ever had before. All from a barely there touch from the man who would watch her die.

Freaking irony.

He was way too wrapped up in how he could make the small space between them even smaller when he heard a warning shout from Thomas half a second too late. Miss Mabel's walker slammed down over his head, sending pain screaming over his skull.

"Go back to your wife, you...you man whore!" shouted the old woman, raising her walker for another strike.

message 34: by Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (last edited Mar 22, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

I didn't even bother with small talk. I just elbowed the pretty blonde he'd been talking to aside and slapped my panties on his chest. "As soon as I saw you," I purred, "I knew I wouldn't be needing these."
That got his attention.

HAHAHAHAHAH Score for Cat.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (phillip_arthur_russell_iv) LOL. Nice one! LOVE that series and Cat and Bones!!

message 36: by Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (last edited Mar 23, 2011 04:16AM) (new)

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

"You see, cuckoos are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests. When the egg hatches, the baby cuckoo pushes the other baby birds out of the nest. The poor parent birds work themselves to death trying to find enough food to feed the enormous cuckoo child who has murdered their babies and taken their places."
"Enormous?" said Jace. "Did you just call me fat?"
"It was an analogy."
"I am not fat."

message 37: by ari ♥ (last edited Mar 25, 2011 08:18AM) (new)

ari ♥ (arianara) | 323 comments The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

"Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?" ~ Ash"

message 38: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 25, 2011 11:58PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Going to CLOSE this thread and combine this with the Quotes thread to make a combined Quotes and Scenes topic

There's no point in having two active topics doing pretty much the same thing.

If you wish to post either a quote or a scene, please place it in this thread.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

(Artemis, if you get the chance, can you lock this thread since only mods can lock them from new posts being made)