Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Theme Weddings: Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (last edited Feb 11, 2011 03:51PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments If you love a movie or TV show or whatever, why not combine it with the most important day of your life? More power to you.

Besides, I like the Renaissance Festival, and I love Halloween.

I'm having a hard time trying to think of a theme I love enough though.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I shy away from the thought of having a theme-wedding, but I'd probably attend one, depending on what the theme was.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It takes the focus off the event itself, which, depending on how much "theme" we're talking about, trivializes it. But it would only bother me to attend one if I was required to wear some sort of costume of my own.

I think people'd be a lot better off if they'd spend more time focusing on the marriage instead of the wedding, acting like it's some magic spell you cast to ensure a good life.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) They're fun to go to, but I wouldn't do one.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I can't think of any theme I'd go with, but for others, yay. I attended a medieval/kind-of themed wedding, and it was relaxed and happy and sweet. And very reflective of the bride and groom. And there were some kimonos, and someone dressed as a monk.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments NAYNAYNAYNAYNAY NAY NAY NAY!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
The bride in a long white gown and the groom in a black tuxedo is plenty themed for me, thanks. This is called the "wedding theme."

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Hell to the nay! I agree with LG. Wedding theme all the way.

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 11, 2011 11:33PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I had a traditional wedding, but was very specific in my song choices and refused to have "here comes the bride" played for my walk down the aisle.

My mom was so furious that I broke from tradition, and decided to bribe the deejay to play it as my husband and I entered the reception hall. I was completely livid because she knew how much I hated that song (we had argued about it), yet she went behind my back and decided that it needed to be included somewhere.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
It is a ghastly piece of music.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I was actually proud of my music choice. It started with the blowing of a shofar (ram's horn) and an old testament prayer read in Hebrew, then it faded to a very soft instrumental for the walk.

We walked back out of the chapel together to "ain't that a kick in the head" by Dean Martin.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) "Here Comes The Bride", or the "Bridal Chorus" (it's from an opera, Lohengrin, by Richard Wagner) isn't generally allowed to be used in the wedding service by many religions. I didnt use it at my first wedding, both because it was "forbidden" and because it's just not an attractive piece of music to me. It's a cliche, really. I've never been to a wedding where that piece was used.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Canon in D is a romantic wedding theme song, IMHO.

message 14: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Amen to that.