}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

The Books > Fins Trilogy by Ashley L. Knight

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's another mermaid book I discovered a while back. I really want to read this one! I've heard only positive reviews on it!
Fins by Ashley L. Knight

message 2: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Sounds cool. Nobody's entered to win it yet.

message 3: by Garrett (last edited Feb 11, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I entered! I hope I win! But I won't, probably. Never do. Except once, and the book was dumb. :D

message 4: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Well, nobody had entered when I checked, so you might win by default :)

message 5: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
I won once too...and the book was kind of dumb. I think it's a conspiracy...

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments A few more people have joined the giveaway - that's hopeful!

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Over 1500 people in the giveaway so far! Wow! But it doesn't really matter anymore does it Garrett? Wink wink?

message 8: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I think it's great that so many people are wanting to read your book! I'm more than halfway through, and it's really good!

Oh, I liked the Facebook page for FINS, and the actress you chose as Morgan is named Taylor Momsen. I just found that out earlier when I found the same pic on a different site. :)

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Cool! Thanks for the info - I'll check her out...

message 10: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I'm quite looking forward to the book myself. I'm making a shopping purge soon.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Thanks Guitar Chick (love the name btw - I'm in a band called Pile of Bones that's touring in the Spring) - I hope you enjoy it!!

message 12: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Aw, thank you. I write music about books and play multiple insturments. I have an album of wizard rock covers coming out at the end of the month.
:)
Hehehehehe, so different from your description. As soon as I can get a band together, I'm gonna do some normal music too, but something about singing about Romilda Vane's failed attempt at getting Harry is fun to me.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Ok Garret - you finished FINS yet? I wanna know what you thought!!!! :-p

message 14: by Garrett (last edited Mar 22, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I saw your comment last night and realized I needed to finish! So I spent the next few hours finally finishing, and it was amazing! (Sorry I hadn't been reading, I tend to get distracted while reading and end up reading, like, a dozen books at one time! :D) But it was an awesome book! I just wish it was possible to actually live inside a book, because I definitely wanna live in Vero Beach!
Here's the link to my review! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Your review was more than I could ask for, Garrett - thank you so very much! Sorry - been re-editing FATHOM & living like a hermit for the past few weeks. Felt a bit feral actually!! Hah! We'll deal with that in FOREVER.... feral mermaids.... Ooooo!!!! Spoiler!!!!

message 16: by Garrett (last edited Apr 02, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Awesome! I cannot wait! Yeah, re-editing probably gets a bit redundant, huh? I'm kicking around my own mermaid story in my head, two actually, but I can't get started. Sigh...being an aspiring author is no fun when you've got a raging case of writer's block. :D

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Start with the first sentence - then another & another... One foot in front of the other..... Just start it! Get it all on paper

message 18: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) It's so difficult! Well, probably not...maybe it'll eventually just "click." Or maybe I should outline some more. :D

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Each writer has their own way - personally - I can't outline - I just write when it comes to me - like a tidal wave. When nothing's there, nothings there. :-) to each his own I suppose.
Start with one sentence.
"Tom stared at his swollen feet; they reminded him of those smelly sausages his grandmother used to buy him at Christmas."
Go from there.......
:-D

message 20: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Thanks, Ashley! That's good advice! I'm very similar to your style, I'm not good at outlining. I try to, but it depends. Sometimes the whole story unfolds and I do a rough outline, or sometimes I just write by the seat of my pants! :D

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you ever post your mermaid stories on Goodreads, Garrett???

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Do what feels comfortable & fun - writing shouldn't be a chore! You should get lost in it! Be excited by it! Care for your characters, talk to them, experience their lives with them. Forcing yourself to put words to paper will only stilt you. Sometimes a line or idea will come to me when I'm driving & I'll use my iPhone recorder & record it! Use it later. Lots of notes saved for later!!! A few crossed out - already used...

message 23: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ashley wrote: "Do what feels comfortable & fun - writing shouldn't be a chore! You should get lost in it! Be excited by it! Care for your characters, talk to them, experience their lives with them. Forcing yourse..."

Thanks, Ashley! You're right: writing should be fun. And it's funny: I take notes on my cell phone, too, if an idea comes to me! :)

clarinet_friend13 wrote: "Do you ever post your mermaid stories on Goodreads, Garrett???"

Yep, sometimes! :) But I only post a chapter or two, since I'm not really good with sticking to one story. But I do have one story on goodreads that's fifteen chapters about Medusa's descendants, if you wanna check it out. :D

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Coolio!!!!! I will!!!!

message 25: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Awesome! Thanks!! :D

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Your welcome!

message 27: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Hey AShley, got the book on my Kindle App, and I'll have a review up as soon as I finish!

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments That's awesome Guitar chick! I'm looking forward to what you think!!!

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Just finished Editing Fathom - the sequel to Fins - waiting for the ARC's & then I'll post the publish date. I can't wait to show you guys the cover for Fathom - it's gorgeous!!!

message 30: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ooh, I can't wait to see it! And I can't wait to read it, too!

message 31: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Yes!

message 32: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

My short little reviews up :)

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments I can't find your review chika!!!!!!!!

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments HERE's A PREVIEW OF FATHOM!!! Fresh from high-school, Morgan eagerly begins her life with Thayde in New York City. Soon she discovers powers of which she could only dream, but before long these powers prove to be something she was not prepared for and she is thrown into a frightening, all-consuming tailspin. With strange forces threatening to end Thayde’s life, as well as her own, Morgan must use all her energies in her fight to survive.

message 35: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Tailspin ha! You're punny.

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments That was my publishers idea....
:-p

message 37: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ashley! I just saw the cover for Fathom, and I gotta tell you - it was AMAZING!! It's so beautiful! You're so lucky to have such an amazing cover designer!

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Thank you, sweets! He is pretty darn tootin' good, isn't he?? If you want to check out more of his work, go to www.koeberdesigns.com
His name is Ken Koeberlein. He's a very cool guy. :-)
I'm glad you like the cover - I hope others do too! We can only wait & see...

message 39: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Oooooh must see cover! Fins' cover was awesome as well.

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Are you on facebook? Like Fins trilogy & you can see!

message 41: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Cool, thanks!

message 42: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Is your band on Facebook? I wanna check them out too.

message 43: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Could you post the links here for both of those, my facebook skills are currently malfunctioning today.

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments My band won't be up & going until most likely next year - when we're perfect. But let me see if I can get the link...

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Try this - does it take you there?
http://m.facebook.com/pages/FINS-Tril...

message 46: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

ooooh, yes thank you. And good luck with the band! I'm putting together a live band for my wizard rock and trying to get a normal band together as well.

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments www.ashleylknight.com
Is my website, but it's going to be under some serious construction here shortly....

message 48: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) YOU GUYS!!! I have read FATHOM, the sequel to FINS, and lovedlovedloved it! I can't share my review yet, as I have been sworn to secrecy, but I have been given permisson to neener neener neener. Seriously, I can't wait to share my review! Ashley, the wait is killing me! (Well, maybe not that dramatic, but...) :D
All I can say is if you loved FINS, you definitely won't want to miss FATHOM.

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Hee hee hee!!

message 50: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) This is torture...but I'll endure. :)

« previous 1

}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fins (other topics)
Fathom (other topics)