Baker Street Irregulars discussion

Sherlock BBC > Sherlock BBC (general)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I am so obsessed with this show. I can't believe they are making us wait so long for the next series! I am now netflixing everything that has Benedict Cumberbatch in it. The second episode was a bit shit though.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (juno-eclipse) | 9 comments I agree that they're waiting FOREVER to release the next series. But they *are* going to, aren't they? I haven't heard anything about it.

message 3: by Hedry (new)

Hedry | 9 comments From what I saw online I think the next 3 episodes will air this coming fall. This series has been some of the best television I have ever seen. In particular, Moriarty is finally being portrayed as criminally insane; not just brilliant and amoral. The guy who plays Moriarty is phenomenal. Additionally, although I think the sites are down now, you used to be able to go to sherlock's website, "the science of deduction", and interact with embedded clues from the shows to solve puzzles online. Even though I'm a borderline luddite, I like that Sherlock texts and has a blog.

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Teddy wrote: "I believe the websites are back up now.
This show is one of the extremely few TV programmes I actually enjoy.
I've heard the line-up for the new season is A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the B..."

I love that they are doing the classics sooner rather than later. Partly because I am terrified that they won't be done at all if they are put off, but also because the show is so good right now that it is unnecessary for the show to "brew" (like other shows that need some time to get their footing) in order for them to be done well.

message 5: by Hedry (new)

Hedry | 9 comments That's a good point; I'm psyched that Scandal and Hound of the Baskervilles will get the showing they deserve, regardless of what happens to the show. But airing The Final Problem now makes me think the producers don't expect a third season... which would be aweful.

I hope they don't finish off Moriarty's character that quickly; they haven't even introduced Col. Moran yet.

If you guys could pick anything from the original canon, or post-canon to be made into a BBC show what would it be?

I would love to see a really intense re-make of the speckled band. It got a little bit of a treatment in the movie "Seven Percent Solution", but in my opinion doesn't stand the test of time.

Also, and may be this is more of a modern-Downey Jr. Sherlock, but I'd love to see a remake of the old Basil Rathbone movie, "Sherlock Holmes Faces Death".

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I would be devastated if there wasn't a third season. Airing the Final Problem definitely hints at hiatus status. Whether that's going to be the usual wait between series anyway or having to wait 2 years or more (can you imagine waiting 10 years like those poor sherlockians when the original Final Problem was published!) I don't know. It could be either. But I doubt they will leave out The Empty House. Sherlock's uh... death and resurrection is very ingrained in sherlock myth (ha I made him sound like Jesus). And they have such sherlock nerds writing and making this show that I doubt they will be able to resist the urge to have him come back from the dead. I mean, it's possible that it would fall through but I don't think they have it planned. In my head I'm thinking they are going to make 3 series of 3 episodes each. There is absolutely no basis for me thinking this though.

And for stories I would love if they made: The Sign of Four (I want to see how they do Mary and Watson's marriage or at least engagement), Charles Augustus Milverton, and the Red-Headed League.

message 7: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 27 comments I'm obsessed with this show, also. I saw the first one, and it was phenomenal. The second one was a bit dissapointing, but the last one was heart-stopping! I can't believe the cliff-hanger it was left on! But before I heard Steven Moffat's outlines for each episode in season two, I thought that The Great Game seemed more like The Final Problem, and the first episode of season two would be like The Empty House, opening with Watson being all sad and there being flashbacks about what happened at the pool.

But since that probably won't happen, I'm interested to see how the ending of a cliff hanger like that could form into A Scandal In Bohemia. I'm also wondering how Adler will be portrayed in the next season...

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (ILTF) | 5 comments I LOOOOOVE this show! Although this depiction of Sherlock and (especially) Watson is the farthest from the truth that I've seen, I can't help but adore it! I can't wait for the next season- the first three episodes were all great, well written and all.
Even though Hound of the Baskervilles is in my top five, I'm not sure if it would translate very well...but I would like to see them do the Six Napoleons and the Sussex Vampire :D

message 9: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I'm clenching with anticipation about how they do Irene Adler! I would be so disappointed if it were crummy. I was disappointed with The Blind Banker, too. I would probably be in tears if Scandal in Bohemia turned out like that. Well, no... but yeah.

Sammy wrote: "But before I heard Steven Moffat's outlines for each episode in season two, I thought that The Great Game seemed more like The Final Problem"

Where did you read it, btw?

message 10: by Sammy (last edited May 09, 2011 04:07PM) (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 27 comments I found it on wikipedia when I searched for date season two would be aired. It said that Mark Gatiss (oops) not Steven Moffat confirmed it to The Manchester Guardian in an interview. But then again, it is wikipedia, so it may be incorrect.

message 11: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 27 comments (And BTW, I was searching for a trailer on youtube for the second season, and I didn't find it, but I did find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVtpu...)

message 12: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I am just posting to say the anticipation is killing me! I have been (not really) keeping up with news about filming, reading teasing tweets from Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, and Sherlock winning a couple of Baftas!!! ect. ect. I feel like I am DYING here. I am thinking about having a separate folder for Sherlock BBC. Because it is so awesome

/end fangirl

message 13: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 27 comments I was looking it up on imdb and under the discussions it said that season 2 might not be airing in the US until 2012! I sure hope they don't decide to do that.

message 14: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Sammy wrote: "I was looking it up on imdb and under the discussions it said that season 2 might not be airing in the US until 2012! I sure hope they don't decide to do that."

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Why do they do that? It's like they want me to download it. Though of course I saw it again when it was properly aired. Alan Cumming... sigh.

message 15: by Sammy (last edited Jun 17, 2011 09:12AM) (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 27 comments If they do that, would it be possible to buy it on amazon? Gosh, I will be so mad if they go through with it.

message 16: by C.O. (new)

C.O. Bonham (dolphin18cb) | 54 comments I love this show so much.
And for the record the Blind Banker was really good. I liked the mistaken identity at the end. The whole show is like Sherlock is setting him up for it too.
"Here John, Take my card, hold my check, pick up these tickets in my name."
I love it.
But I don't think that it was directly based on any one Holmes story so I think that is why most people feel that it was lacking.

I can't wait for season two!!! :-)

message 17: by Steve (new)

Steve Boothe (Smoothe_1) | 28 comments Fortunately for me, this series is available on Netflix streaming and I quickly caught up through season 1. I absolutely love it! The creators have done an excellent job of using Doyle's works as a launching pad and doing a modern-day reset.

What I enjoyed the most, especially with A Study in Pink, is how the producers worked in small details from the original stories into the update. I think this relieves them from being chained to a precise following of the stories.

Considering the challenge the series producers faced in bringing a familiar character into a another era, I think they did an excellent job while allowing themselves some creative license with beloved characters. I, too, can't wait for season 2!

message 18: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Steve wrote: "Fortunately for me, this series is available on Netflix streaming and I quickly caught up through season 1. I absolutely love it! The creators have done an excellent job of using Doyle's works as..."

If you can I recommend getting or borrowing the DVD/bluray if only for the unaired pilot. It is well worth watching! Unfortuantely my fangirl brain is only remembering Benedict Cumberbatch's different hairstyle and tight jeans. Ha!

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Boothe (Smoothe_1) | 28 comments Thanks for the tip, Joanna! I'll have to track down a copy.

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve Boothe (Smoothe_1) | 28 comments This would be a fun idea:

Mark Gatiss: “I’d love to do a Sherlock Christmas special”

http://bit.ly/pUHS5W

message 21: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments If any of you are going to comic con (lucky), Martin Freeman will be there for "The Hobbit." More info here

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments That hat.

message 23: by Steve (new)

Steve Emecz | 9 comments The BBC Sherlock fashion awards look like a lot of fun http://www.sherlockholmesweek.com/pag...

message 24: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Steve wrote: "The BBC Sherlock fashion awards look like a lot of fun http://www.sherlockholmesweek.com/pag..."

OMG that looks like so much fun!!! I just might actually do that...

message 25: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments One thing i dislike about this Sherlock series is that...well, they've lost Mycroft's essence. He's smarter than Sherlock, yes, but uninterested in detective work. Which is why I find it bothering how Mycroft's this big thing in the British government.

message 26: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Jo,
You know, you're right.
The original Mycroft was overweight, very intelligent, and not inclined to leave his chair.
The new Mycroft is attitudinous, not bad looking, and not all that brilliant.
The relationship between the original two HOlmes was respectful, and symbiotic. Sherlock was honored to be Mycroft's legs, and Mycroft trusted Sherlock's brains.

The new relationship is just old-school classic sybling rivalry. What a shame.

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments Exactly. That's why I prefer chapters when he's not really in.

message 28: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments But Jo, I have to confess that it is worth putting up with the annoying Mycroft (Gatiss) in order to enjoy Sherlock's reaction to him. Who could not love the prospect of Sherlock stubbornly responding to the summons to 10 Downing St (or wherever that was) wrapped in a sheet? Unintended consequences, but totally entertaining.

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments "Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers on!"
That simply was hilarious.

But my favorite is still The Hounds of Baskerville.

message 30: by Jo (last edited Jul 13, 2012 06:02AM) (new)

Jo (deronda) | 11 comments So what do you all think about Mycroft's first appearance in epidose 1? I didn't watch the episodes in chronological order (and there's still one I haven't seen yet!), so obviously I knew who he was. Was it a good idea to introduce him as a 'potential nemesis'?

message 31: by Joanna (last edited Jul 13, 2012 11:30AM) (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I thought it was pretty clever. As it was the first episode of the series (and the first episode I saw), I would have accepted whatever characterizations they gave me (well, more or less). So this "nemesis" might actually be Moriarty? okay! So this "nemesis" is actually Mycroft? Okay! Lemme see what you do with this.

But, in doing something clever they may have written themselves into a narrative/characterization box. It may have been a wiser idea, if they knew they were making a number of episodes (instead of a movie, or a triolgy) to hold off on making too many nemesises (nemesi?) for Sherlock at once. So his brother is a nemesis. Scotland yard (generally) doesn't like him. Moriarty, well it goes without saying. Americans aren't buddies to the British in this universe. And the British government? They do some x-filesish conspiracy shit, man. And apparently the Chinese are mobsters. Irene Adler works for Moriarty. It's 221B (and Molly) versus the world! It's kind of a hot mess. When I watch later episodes I get the feeling that I am watching someone play Jenga. "Oh I know! It's ALL Moriarty!" kinda seems like someone saying, in the Jenga game, "You know, if all the pieces fall down, we can just say that it means we all win!"

anyway haha

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments Impressively accurate.

message 33: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1 comments I find the series more parallel to the books as compared to Robert Downey Jr.'s movies. The movie's overly romantic and... Hollywood.

message 34: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Andy wrote: "I find the series more parallel to the books as compared to Robert Downey Jr.'s movies. The movie's overly romantic and... Hollywood."

I love the Hollywood! I know it's not everybody's cup of tea though. I am actually really amused that some hollywood person, trying to come up with some new superhero franchise to make lots and lots of monies, thought "Oh I know! SHERLOCK HOLMES!"

message 35: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Speaking of unlikely versions of Sherlock Holmes, I recently watched Peter Cook and Dudley Moore in the campy 1978 THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. Truly hilarious.
Moore's Dr. Watson (called "WATTY" by Holmes, Holmes's mother, and Sir Henry Baskerville) is that of a put-upon best friend to the great detective. Except for the fact that Cook inexplicably plays his Holmes with a somewhat lisping Jewish accent, I would give this movie an "A."

message 36: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Silvio111 wrote: "Speaking of unlikely versions of Sherlock Holmes, I recently watched Peter Cook and Dudley Moore in the campy 1978 THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. Truly hilarious.
Moore's Dr. Watson (called "WATT..."

What about that scene with Sherlock in a corset OMG Aside from that though I have to say I didn't get a lot of laughs out of it. It's streaming on netflix if anyone is intersted

message 37: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 89 comments Loved that movie! My favorite moment, literally one of those scenes where it didn't hit me for about five minutes and then I LAUGHED, is when the Baskerville heir, with a pronounced lisp, is discribing his voyage from America to England. He tells about this storm, and the enormous wave that swept him over the railing where he clung on for dear life. Watson asks if he was able to drag himself on deck. "No," Baskerville sneered, "I dressed normally." .... wait for it!

message 38: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain | 11 comments I've been reading more of the canon lately and it just makes me appreciate how Moffat & Gatiss have managed to include so many things from the books. Now when I watch it and recognize these little homages I get all excited. I love that the writers are such huge fans of the show - a lot of BBC Sherlock's success has to do with Moffat & Gatiss's obvious adoration for Conan Doyle, I think.

message 39: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Lady D:
Absolutely. They may depart from or riff off of, they may transgress, but they always know their Conan Doyle!

message 40: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margyw) Hello. Nice to find Sherlock has a home on here. I resisted watching the show, as I didn't like the idea of modernization (the Rathbone movies being a particular bug bear of mine).

A friend persuaded me to watch and I was hooked. Benedict & Martin are probably my favourite Holmes/Watson combination.

message 41: by Piyumi (new)

Piyumi | 5 comments Hi all,
It was hard for me to contemplate a modern take on Holmes, so it took me an year to even get myself to watch Sherlock...and boy am I glad of it. Am totally head over heels with it and I too agree that Benedict and Martin are thus far the best Holmes/John team.
I've now watched all of the seasons and am so happy how season 4 ended. I agree with some of the critics that the in between seasons were a tad let down in the story line, but thank goodness the team got back to their thing in season 4.

message 42: by Demetrius (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 23 comments I will give some credit to Sherlock in it's first two seasons for putting Holmes in a modern world, but still keeping some of the flavor of 18oo's Holmes. They accomplished this by dark photography and camera work. For example, when Holmes is in a car, it is a close up and we don't see the car so it could easily be a horse drawn carriage.
The music was right as one tune is old fashioned with a fast tempo.

message 43: by Demetrius (last edited Nov 29, 2017 07:10PM) (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 23 comments Margaret wrote: "Hello. Nice to find Sherlock has a home on here. I resisted watching the show, as I didn't like the idea of modernization (the Rathbone movies being a particular bug bear of mine).

A friend persua..."

Margaret, I understand. With Basil Rathbone however, , I was happy to see Sherlock Holmes outwitting Hitler and Nazis. The perfect thing for him to be doing after what England went through and smashing that "superior race" crap at the same time by frustrating fool proof Nazi plans.
Holmes loved justice and opposed evil like Moriarty. We can love a Holmes like that in whatever time period he is in.

message 44: by Demetrius (last edited Nov 29, 2017 07:22PM) (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 23 comments Silvio111 wrote: "Speaking of unlikely versions of Sherlock Holmes, I recently watched Peter Cook and Dudley Moore in the campy 1978 THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. Truly hilarious.
Moore's Dr. Watson (called "WATTY..."

Doyle had a sense of humor. Did you ever read the Holmes parody " The Adventure of the Two Collaborators by Sir James Matthew Barrie Written on the flyleaf of a book given to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle commemorating their failed opera",? But I liked Without a Clue with Michael Caine.