SFBRP Listeners discussion

Has the SFBRP got you reading more?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 7 comments Simple question: Do you think you are reading more because of Luke's podcast?

I personally think I have been reading much more since I started listening. Not only books that have been reviewed on the podcast but also a lot more besides.

How about others?

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Sweeney (joesweeney) | 5 comments Nah, I always have to be reading something. But I will say, just when I think I've read it all, Luke somehow comes up with something I missed.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Rowe (spinnerrowe) | 21 comments About five years ago I realized that what science fiction I read consisted mostly of novelizations of movies I had seen. So I started looking around the Internet for a sort of sci fi canon. I found lists of Hugo and Nebula awards. I also found Peter Sykes list which I found the most helpful. Over the years, I have been steadily increasing the amount of my reading.

Luke's podcast excites me to continue reading because it's almost like a conversation with a friend about things that I have read or might read in the future. Looking at my reading list, there is a definite increase in my yearly reading since I have begun listening.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 7 comments I agree with both of you. The excitement and ideas Luke brings to the books, good or bad, adds another dimension to reading a book he has reviewed. I also find myself reading more because I am being introduced to more books and authors.

Enders game was the last book I read because of the podcast; I dont think I would have read it without hearing about it first.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Rowe (spinnerrowe) | 21 comments I read Hunger Games after listening to the podcast. The book had been constantly popping up as a recommendation for me on Amazon and Audible, but the blurbs talking about kids killing each other did not interest me. Luke pointed out the reality show aspects which intrigued me.

message 6: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) I have enjoyed reading with Luke a lot.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 7 comments I will get round to reading Hunger Games too. I have read The Running Man and The Long Walk by Stephen King. I'm interested to see if the idea has been updated like Luke says.

message 8: by Derek (new)

Derek Walsh | 1 comments The amount I read hasn't changed, just the selection of books has grown thanks to Luke.

message 9: by Andre (new)

Andre (andreb) | 4 comments I've been reading more, but also becoming a more thoughtful reader. It helps to have a podcast that isn't afraid to put down some serious criticism on a book. I'm glad he reviews books that he likes and books that he doesn't like. Since listening to the show, I now have more questions in my mind about why this may or may not be a good book. Some of these include:

Why did the author feel compelled to write this book? What is he/she trying to say? Where are the characters going? What do they care about? Why are they doing it?

A lot of this is basic reading skills, that I had perhaps abandoned before picking up books again as my main media consumption. I think I may have been dulled down by too many video games, movies, and tv shows in the past.

message 10: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel Landeholm (elandeholm) | 14 comments Yes it has. I don't remember why I started listening to the SFBRP but I was immediately hooked. And I've been reading some really good sci-fi since. I love the instant feedback I get by finishing a book and then downloading the SFBRP review to compare notes.

message 11: by Pete (new)

Pete (triumphpedroe) | 1 comments Getting a sony ebook reader got me reading more and rekinndled my interest in science fiction which lead me to Lukes podcast, that then widened my choice of books

message 12: by Luca (new)

Luca Fenu | 2 comments Difficult to say. I've almost ceased reading but am listening a lot now, for other reasons... In the balance I would say that thank to Luke I'm catching less stinkers...

message 13: by Isabel (kittiwake) (last edited Dec 05, 2011 01:37AM) (new)

Isabel (kittiwake) | 61 comments At the moment I am reading less while catching up with all the old episodes of the podcast (I've just listened to episode 95), but I have been adding lots of books to my wish list.
I saved three of the reviews to listen to later as the books were already on my TBR list, and yesterday I listened to the "Gateway" review as I am ready to start reading it. The other two are "Accelerando", and "Steel Beach" which I read a long time ago but want to re-read before reading "The Golden Globe" which I picked up recently.

message 14: by Peter (last edited Dec 13, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

Peter | 16 comments I used te read a healty mixture between fantasy and sci fi when I was younger but overtime I had shifted to fantasy almost exclusively due to several reasons (one of them being that sci fi books don't seem to get translated to dutch anymore. All we seem to get is epic fantasy, young adult novels and urban fantasy (especially the romantic kind)).

Since a few years I started reading books in english and I was looking for a way into current sci fi (current meaning: after asimov :-) ) but I didn't really know where to start. I discovered the sfbrp in august and have since than bought a few books and discovered that Peter f Hamilton is a writer that is up my alley.

So I would say Luke has me reading more. Or at least reading more diverse books.

Isabel (kittiwake) | 61 comments and have since than bought a few books and discovered that Peter f Hamilton is a writer that is up my alley.

I have always discounted Peter F Hamilton's books before now, just because of how long they are. But the reviews make them sound very tempting.

message 16: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 6 comments Nah, I don't read more since I started listening to the podcast. But I read more science fiction.

I only got into the podcast cause I wanted to explore this pretty new genre (to me, that is). I had already read the classic sci-fi books like 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 - that stuff. Ender's Game got me really hooked then and I wanted more Sci-Fi.

Luke helped A LOT finding some stuff that I could start with and, as I started finding my way in the genre, books that were a little more hard science fiction. I don't agree with Luke on every book but mostly, we're on the same page. :)

I also very much enjoy his occasional excursions to fantasy - I consider it my "home genre" :)

So keep it up Luke.

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3 comments Luke's podcast has definitely got me reading more sci-fi and has helped in finding new books to read. I think our tastes differ somewhat (I am not so keen on hard sci-fi) but I mostly agree with his ratings of books that I have already read. Luke's reviews do give a good idea of what to expect from a book and are always well thought out and enjoyable.

Thank you Luke - keep up the good work!

message 18: by Otto (new)

Otto | 33 comments Yes, SFBRP and Luke have made me want to read more science fiction. Before I was a fantasy-guy but know I delve into new genres. Its so much fun.

Thanks Luke, keep talking!

message 19: by Otto (new)

Otto | 33 comments Oh forgot, audiobooks and e-books to.