Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Who could have played it:

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments A place for trivia questions about actors and actresses that could have played in iconic roles. For example, probably everyone knows that Tom Selleck was first offered the role of "Indiana Jones" but he honored his obligation to "Magnum." Ironically, there was an strike in Hollywood and, while he was in Hawaii awaiting the start of the show, the film crew for “Indiana Jones” arrived.

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments First trivia question: Who was first offered the role of Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate" but turned it down?

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Oooh this should be a fun thread! I never saw the graduate, but I googled the answer. Since I cheated, I'll wait to see if someone else posts.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Were you surprised? Could you see her in the role?

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments From the clips I've seen of the Graduate, I think the right woman played the part. But knowing what the movie is about, I am a little surprised at who was offered the role first. I think Anne Bancroft was a great actress, and could make just about any role work!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "First trivia question: Who was first offered the role of Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate" but turned it down?"

Ok, I'll answer. Candace Bergen, she's a great actress!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Here's another.

Ryan O'Neal starred as Oliver in Love Story alongside Ali MacGraw. There were a few very popular male actors offered the role, but declined. Who were they?

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 13, 2011 01:13PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Michelle! Nope. Sorry. First choice (according both to her bio and Wikipedia), the role for Mrs. Robinson was DORIS DAY! She thought the role was not to her image. Of course, they kept her a 'virgin' well into her forties. Where did you hear Candace Bergen? I never hear that. She was, like, 21 in 1967. Did you mean for a remake? They also wanted Robert Redford for Dustin's role and Gene Hackman for Mr. Robinson.

I remember Ryan O'Neal talking about not being the first asked to play Oliver...but I don't remember who he said was. It wasn't Robert Redford was it?

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Michelle! Nope. Sorry. First choice (according both to her bio and Wikipedia), the role for Mrs. Robinson was DORIS DAY! She thought the role was not to her image. Of course, they kept her a '..."

Aaaagh! I just googled it, and Candace Bergen was what I saw. I was thinking she was too young for the role. Stupid internet! LOL!

I know that Michael Douglas was one of the actors offered the role of Oliver in Love Story. I'm not sure about Robert Redford, but I'm going to do some googling to find out.

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You're cute. LOL.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 13, 2011 01:16PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Forgot to say that Ryan O'Neal was talking about it on Oprah, but I deleted that show off my TiVo already.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm kicking myself! Candace Bergen only auditioned for the role of Elaine Robinson in the Graduate. From what I have seen of the movie, that makes more sense, LOL!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That makes more sense.

message 14: by Michelle (last edited Feb 13, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Forgot to say that Ryan O'Neal was talking about it on Oprah, but I deleted that show off my TiVo already."

Ok. When you said Oprah, I went to her site. The male lead role in Love Story was offered to Michael Douglas (whom I love!), Jon Voight, and Peter Fonda. That said, I saw an old Twilight Zone episode starring Robert Redford, and I can see him starring in Love Story; he's an extremely attractive man!

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 13, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Do you know who first turned down the role for 'The Fugitive," leaving it for Harrison Ford?

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Do you know who first turned down the role for 'The Fugitive," leaving it for Harrison Ford?"

No! I can't imagine Harrison Ford being anyone's second choice for anything, LOL!!!

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Do you know who first turned down the role for 'The Fugitive," leaving it for Harrison Ford?"

I just googled the answer. I'll give somebody else a chance to post the answer, but I am soooooooooooo glad the role went to Harrison Ford! I like the other actor, but I love Harrison Ford movies!

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I know, and yet he was for "Indiana Jones" and "The Fugitive" among others. Weird, since he made those roles so iconic.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I believe that Alec Baldwin was the first choice but Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia were also considered.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "I know, and yet he was for "Indiana Jones" and "The Fugitive" among others. Weird, since he made those roles so iconic."

You mean that Harrison Ford wasn't the first choice for Indiana Jones?! My mother will be crushed when I tell her that, LOL! She's a huge fan of his movies too.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "I believe that Alec Baldwin was the first choice but Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia were also considered."

I like Alec Baldwin, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think I would've enjoyed the movie as much. Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones made that movie great!! Next you guys will tell me he wasn't the first choice for Blade Runner or something!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 13, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments This is like 'Six Degrees of Separation' because Harrison Ford couldn't (or wouldn't?) do 'The Hunt for Red October" so Alec Baldwin got the role. (He was so young and handsome in that role! *sigh*)

Megan, Andy Garcia was considered for "The Fugitive"? Really?

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Michelle wrote: "LisaKay wrote: "I know, and yet he was for "Indiana Jones" and "The Fugitive" among others. Weird, since he made those roles so iconic."

You mean that Harrison Ford wasn't the first choice for ..."

Yep, the first choice for Indiana Jones was Tom Selleck who had to turn it down b/c of his previous commitment to Magnum P.I.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LisaKay wrote: "This is like 'Six Degrees of Separation' because Harrison Ford couldn't (or wouldn't?) do 'The Hunt for Red October" so Alec Baldwin go the role. (He was so young and handsome in that role! *sigh..."

LOL! Apparently! But I can't picture it!! LOL!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "Michelle wrote: "LisaKay wrote: "I know, and yet he was for "Indiana Jones" and "The Fugitive" among others. Weird, since he made those roles so iconic."

You mean that Harrison Ford wasn't the ..."

I still watch Magnum PI reruns whenever I can, LOL! I just see him as Indy, can you?

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Michelle wrote: "Megan wrote: "I believe that Alec Baldwin was the first choice but Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia were also considered."

I like Alec Baldwin, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think I would've..."

I agree with you Michelle!! Harrison/Jones were perfect!

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Just shared the Harrison Ford info about The Fugitive and Indiana Jones movies with my dad of all people, and his response to me was "puhleeze!" Harrison Ford has fans in my family.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I find it interesting that Ford later took up the character of Jack Ryan in "Patriot Games." Wasn't Baldwin good enough any more or was there a scheduling conflict?

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments That's a great question Lisa, and I actually don't really know. I do know that Baldwin was offered it first, but he turned it down (I don't know why).

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I just found a web site: http://www.notstarring.com

And it says that Harrison Ford almost got the role of Ben in "The Graduate." We are going full circle here! LOL.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "I just found a web site: http://www.notstarring.com

And it says that Harrison Ford almost got the role of Ben in "The Graduate." We are going full circle here! LOL."

LOL! I love Alec Baldwin and Andy Garcia. But I've had a crush on Harrison Ford since he played Hans Solo. I just can't help it :)

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Thanks for the website Lisa!

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Michelle wrote: "Megan wrote: "I believe that Alec Baldwin was the first choice but Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia were also considered."

I like Alec Baldwin, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think I would've..."

Michelle, I just read that James Caan was considered for the role of Deckard in "Blade Runner." LOL! Don't tell your dad. BTW, I loved that movie, though I was the only one. I'm a nurse and I totally saw a deeper meaning.

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments OMG. Another one. According to "Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner," Sean Connery was considered for the part of Deckard.

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Actually, for Blade Runner, there are too many to count...
http://www.notstarring.com/movies/bla...

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Feb 13, 2011 02:37PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Megan wrote: "I believe that Alec Baldwin was the first choice but Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia were also considered."

I like Alec Baldwin, don't get me wrong, but I just don't..."

I worked for a hospice agency and the founder was always using Blade Runner to make some point. I never got the connection, LOL!

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "OMG. Another one. According to "Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner," Sean Connery was considered for the part of Deckard."

I can see Sean Connery before James Caan, but you're killing me!

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments FOFLMAO!

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 13, 2011 07:47PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Christina Aguilera, auditioned for the role of Giselle in "Enchanted" (one of my favorite movies!); the role went to Amy Adams.

Jennifer Aniston (I love her, but can she sing??) was offered the role of Giselle, but couldn't get the part due to salary.

Drew Barrymore was the top choice! Wow.
enchanted

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LisaKay wrote: "Christina Aguilera, auditioned for the role of Giselle in "Enchanted" (one of my favorite movies!); the role went to Amy Adams.

Jennifer Aniston (I love her, but can she sing??) was offered the ..."

LMAO!!!! I can't see ANYONE else but Amy Adams as Giselle!! Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore??? PHHHLEASE! ;o)

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Another great but little known film with Amy Adams is "Mrs. Pettigrew Lives Another Day."

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I caught that on HBO one day. I really liked it.

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Michelle, something to tell your dad about one of Harrison Ford's most famous roles: Al Pacino, Nick Nolte and Christopher Walken were all considered for the role of Han Solo. The hardest to imagine, supposedly Burt Reynolds turned down the role.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Michelle, something to tell your dad about one of Harrison Ford's most famous roles: Al Pacino, Nick Nolte and Christopher Walken were all considered for the role of Han Solo. The hardest to imagi..."

?!?!?!

I just can't see anyone playing that role but him. I'm know dad thinks highly of of Burt Reynolds. I can't wait to see what he says, LOL!

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2011 04:01AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Burt was really good in 'Mystery, Alaska' I thought. (With Russel Crowe).

message 46: by Michelle (last edited Feb 14, 2011 04:10AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "Burt was really good in 'Mystery, Alaska' I thought. (With Russel Crowe)."

I was thinking of Cannonball Run just now. As much as loved that movie, I have to add Mysetery, Alaska to my netflix queue.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments My ex-husband (who is still a very good friend) loves Cannonball Run. I wonder when he saw it last? Hummm. Slap-stick/sight-gag kind-of funny, right?

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "My ex-husband (who is still a very good friend) loves Cannonball Run. I wonder when he saw it last? Hummm. Slap-stick/sight-gag kind-of funny, right?"

Definitely funny!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.