Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

SF/Futuristic Romance > Ann Aguirre

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
I just finished Grimspace, and oh my gosh, it is fantastic. I posted a review in my blog: http://blog.phoenixfyre.net/2008/08/1...

Has anyone else read this? I've just started reading an ARC of the sequel, Wanderlust, and it's like I can read fast enough, haha.

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I wanted to see your review but the link didn't work. Can you tell me a bit about it here?

message 3: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

That's strange... I wonder why the link wouldn't work? Hrm.

I'm a fan of science fiction and have been pretty much my entire life, and this is some damn good SF. Jax, the main character's a jumper; she can navigate grimspace, which is sort of like space that runs underneath normal space, where you can go very long distances in a very short amount of time. She's framed for a crash and has to hook up with a group of renegades to try to break the hold of a big corporation on trade and figure out why Jax was framed.

The romance is rather light, but I think it's extremely well done, and I love the characters. They're flawed and likable and very believable.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I like the premise and the idea of "grimspace". I watched the movie of Jumper, is it a similar concept? And this is the first in a series?

message 5: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I haven't seen Jumper, so I really can't say if it's similar. Basically, the jumper and the pilot both plug into the ship, which had a special type of drive that runs in grimspace. The jumper navigates, basically finds beacons that indicate an exit, and since she's jacked into the pilot, he/she knows where to steer the ship.

And yes, it is the first in a series. The second is Wanderlust, which is coming out at the end of this month. :)

message 6: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (linneasinclair) | 96 comments I loved Grimspace. Of course that may come as no shock to anyone who's read it as I have the cover blurb. ;-) I think it's a fasy-paced, gritty, in-your-face hot book. I loved Jax and can't wait until I'm out of deadline so I can read Wanderlust, the sequel.

Ann took several risks in writing Grimspace, not the least of which is the first person present-tense POV "voice" she used. One of the things about writing is that there are craft rules. First person PRESENT tense is a really tough one to do well. She does it awesomely well.

The book, to me, has a "Mad Max" feel as well as a "Blade Runner" feel to it. Jax is simply desperate to survive in the beginning. The relationship that grows between her and March reads very real to me, given what they've both been through (I don't want to get into spoilers here). And given they're both mature (ie: not 19 year old virginal space princess) characters. Aguirre's settings and secondary characters also jump right off the page for me.

Yeah, I loved the book.

I had the pleasure to read Aguirre when she and I were authors in the same very small press publishing house years ago. She had a Victorian (might have been a Regency) romance with the house at that time and even though that's not my poison of choice, I couldn't put the book down.

Aguirre is a compelling author. I kinda think that says it all.

~Linnea

message 7: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Linnea, the use of first person present tense is something I touched on in my review. You're right in that it's VERY difficult to pull off, and it's quite rare to see it in lit. I think I've read one other book (that was memorable, anyway) that was written in that pov/tense, but Aguirre pulls it off perfectly. As someone who spends a lot of time analyzing stuff like that (hooray, English grad students), I'm very impressed.

I'm about halfway through Wanderlust at the moment, and I'm LOVING it. I'm thinking about running a bath just so I can relax and read another big chunk of the book.

message 8: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 16 comments I was worried when I opened Grimspace and encountered first person present tense. Typically, I don't go in for that sort of thing. ;) However, as mentioned above, Ann writes first person present tense very well. In fact, after the initial recoil, I was swept up and away into the story/world and the POV was perfect. Very natural and fun. The present tense POV added an extra element of suspense.

TDF, I am jealous that you are already reading Wanderlust. Not fair! Mine is pre-ordered and I won't get it until September. Bummer.

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I finished Wanderlust last night. Oh my gosh, guys, you've GOT to preorder this. It's fantastic. I posted my review here: http://blog.phoenixfyre.net/2008/08/1... (If that link doesn't work, there's a link to my blog on my profile page; I wish goodreads would fix the way HTML renders in these posts!)

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 36 comments I haven't read it yet, but plan to.yeah, I'm behind in my reading--too busy writing this summer and reading books for research. But back to pleasure reading. :D

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I love this series too.

I recently loaned Grimspace to a friend who isn't a big fan of the fantasy-type books (he prefers mysteries/thrillers) and he loved it as well. He is now borrowing my copy of Wanderlust.

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 217 comments I loved this book. I am not an english major, I did politics and womens studies so your talk of tense kinda flies over my head.

What I loved was her voice. BELEIVABLE. Brave but not braggy or overly absurdly brave. Mourning her past lover, but not morose. She loves what she does, and thinks about the risks. Decent self image without overkill. Master of Her art/skill/ability.

All those are important element, but without a good story--who cares. That is what broght this book from a good book to a great book. The story is good. Political intrigue, romance, action, danger, advanture, relationship building.

Jax is cool. I am looking forward to reading more from this author, not to mention the sequel.

message 13: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments It's present tense? :/

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) lol - not only did that sentence make me laugh, n_u, but it was a good example of writing in the present tense. :)

message 15: by Lady Pestilence (last edited Jun 17, 2009 09:07AM) (new)

Lady Pestilence (nozomiviridae) | 20 comments I loved both Grimspace and Blue Diablo. I love her protagonists' voices--independent, kick ass women.

But I thought there were a couple of flaws with Grimspace, though I loved it. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it, but did anyone else feel disappointed about Baby-Z? And then I felt the bounty hunter was introduced way too late.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I'm not a scifi fan so I haven't tried Grimspace, but I read the first book in her new Corine Solomon series Blue Diablo and enjoyed it. It's about a handler, Corine Solomon who can touch any object and know its history. Her ex-boyfriend Chance has a supernatural power of luck. The style of the book is urban fantasy.

The next book Hell Fire is coming out April 6, 2010.

message 17: by Zeek (new)

Zeek | 2 comments I really enjoyed Grimspace (long time sci fi fan myself!) I need to get to the rest in this series! (I also have Blue Diablo floating around my TBR pile as well!)

message 18: by Lily (last edited Feb 15, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 217 comments I love this authors writing. I read Blue Diablo too. Still loving the writing.

message 19: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments I read Grimspace, Wanderlust and Doubleblind last month and I absolutely adore all three! The writing is fantastic. I didn't know about the tense choice ahead of time. If I had, I might have shied away from it, but Aguirre handles it flawlessly--no need to fear! It adds such intensity to the story. I also appreciate Jax's realism. She's alternately courageous and selfish, just as any of us would be given the obstacles she faces. I'm so excited for the next one!

FYI, she has two related shorts on her website (best read after Grimspace).

message 20: by Sil (new)

Sil (silviaa) I really liked this series. The first book didn't grab me, but a friend had read them and said she enjoyed the later books, so I kept going. I'm so glad I did! This is an enjoyable Sci Fi series with just enough spice to keep the girls happy ;)

message 21: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 217 comments Ah! I very much loved the first so I am diving in this weekend and hope to knock out at least one of these books.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I loved Grimspace. I'm glad I read it!

message 23: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I read Grimspace last night and loved it. I can see why Sharon Shinn endorses it on the cover. I'd definitely rank it on my Sharon Shinn enjoyable scale. (Shinn is one of my very favorites.)

message 24: by Rafaela (last edited Jun 10, 2010 06:47PM) (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments I read Blue Diablo, and I really enjoyed it!
But I was actually disappointed with Hell Fire, mainly because of Chance. It was a bit heart breaking, and I don't know if I'll read the next book in the series to continue to see him try so hard...

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 217 comments I haven't read Hell Fire yet, but love every other thing I'vee read by her, including that one she wrote under another pen name.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I just read Blue Diablo. I really loved it. I have thing for Chance. :)

message 27: by new_user (last edited Jun 26, 2010 09:42AM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I thought the first two Jax books were good, but the third. :/ They are kinda hard to get through, like Rafaela said.

message 28: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I actually liked Hell Fire better than I liked Blue Diablo, mainly because of pacing issues in the first book. The second one sucked me right in and I'm SO on the fence about who Corine should choose. I like Chance but by the end of Hell Fire, I was leaning more toward Jesse. My review of Hell Fire is here. :)

message 29: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments I just finished Wanderlust recently and liked it, but not as much as #1. I'm sad to hear #3 was ?? not as good. :( I'll still read it though.

I haven't read her Corine series yet.

message 30: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments I loved all three, so don't give up hope, Steph! I liked the added tension of the third and the advancement of her relationship with Velith. I can't wait for the new one!

message 31: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments Thanks, Michelle. I am definitely sticking with the series. :)

message 32: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) Steph, I'm also an "I loved all 3". :)

message 33: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments :)

message 34: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) TDF Pamela wrote: "I actually liked Hell Fire better than I liked Blue Diablo, mainly because of pacing issues in the first book. The second one sucked me right in and I'm SO on the fence about who Corine should cho..."

This is good to hear, I may return to the Corrine series after I finish Jax. I just was so bored by the end of Blue Diablo (but I liked the characters, story, etc.)

message 35: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) I've read the first 3 in the Jax series in the weekend of 1 november, and I adored them. But now that all is good in the Jax/March universe, I'm a little hesitant with starting the fourth. I want to savour the happy times, because, lets be honest here, they don't get a lot of that. (Oh how I wanted to smack March in Wanderlust).

I really like how flawed all characters are, it makes for some of the most believable sci-fi (romances) I've read.

message 36: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments I've got Doubleblind up soon TBR, so I'm very happy to hear that "good times" are in the future for these guys. :) Looking forward to it a bit more now.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) Ha! Everything is relative Steph!
But now I'm worried I spoilered... Should I edit my comment?

message 38: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments LOL, very true. I didn't feel it spoiled anything, nothing specific anyway. They had a rough go of it in the last one, so I'm happy to hear otherwise for DB.

message 39: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Eh, to be honest, I thought her grimness was over the top. They didn't really have it that bad, yet even in number three she kept talking about how doomed they were. It was almost as if she was deliberately avoiding anything that could be hopeful. I got a little tired of it. Plus, March and Jax are dysfunctional as can be, LOL. So I really liked book one, but the others... eh.

message 40: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments LOL! Yeah, book 2 was a rather depressing read for me. That's why I haven't jumped into 3 yet. Well, one reason.

message 41: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (incababy32) | 3 comments I read all four of the Jax books this past weekend. I am so frustrated about having to wait for the next book in a series, I was trying to find one that is complete. UHG - I didn't do my homework....fifth book not until 9/11 then final book 9/12. I really liked them and actually cried when Velith left. I think he is my favorite character in the series. I heard about them on GR and am glad I read them.

message 42: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments He's almost everyone's favorite! I get really emotional over these books, especially over Velith's scenes. Yay for new fans!

message 43: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments Crap! I need a brain wipe! LOL!

message 44: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments If you mean because of spoilers, Steph? No worries. What Kelli said doesn't even begin to touch on what actually happens!

message 45: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 177 comments LOL! lalala, I can't hear see anything :D