Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > We Are Not Fans of Free Trials

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 10, 2011 08:44PM) (new)

Brittomart *facepalm*

Okay, so I had $24 in my checking account. I checked it tonight, and I had $9. WTF, right? I look at my transactions, and I see AUDIBLE - $14.95. And then it all comes back to me. I never cancelled my free subscription from 3 months ago. How the hell did I miss $15 out of my account for three straight months?

I searched my transactions, and this is how. In December, they charged me right around exam time and I was coming home for the fall semester. In January, it was the start of the spring semester. Well, this time I noticed because when you only have $9 in your account, you kinda want to know why.

Lesson learned. Now I'm off to buy the most expensive audiobooks before I cancel my account.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
I got lazy and neglected to cancel my dial-up internet service even after my desktop had died a couple years ago. $21.95 wasted for 4-5 months in a row. I kept thinking I'd somehow get the desktop fixed, instead of just getting a new computer and a faster connection.

I make sure if anything's going to be an automatic draw out of checking, it's something absolutely critical, like health insurance.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
Jerks. I hate that.

message 4: by Misha (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I did a trial of Amazon Prime a couple of Christmases ago to get the free shipping. I actually did cancel within the window, but they took the $80 out of my account anyway. Fuckers. They ended up refunding it, but I was pretty pissed off about it. The customer service people for my bank said they get complaints about Amazon Prime a lot.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe (attometer) I totally misunderstood the title of this thread and am feeling somewhat let down.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heh.

message 7: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Just NEVER join AOL. I canceled my account numerous times: I wrote, I emailed, I called them, and they kept chanrging my Visa anyway. This went on for NINE MONTHS.

I coulda had a dang baby.

I finally called Visa and told them to cancel my credit card. Visa knew all about AOL and their evil ways. They got me all my money back by the next day. Visa said they do that to everybody. They said it's easier getting out of a cult than canceling your AOL account.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I avoid the free trials like the plague... lessons learned.

This thread title kinda makes me cringe (I do get it, though).

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm highly suspicious of other "free" things too, such as phones that you get for free if you sign up for another year's contract. That's why I have a crummy ancient cell phone. You can barely understand me but I got no strings to hold me down.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
Phone is to plan charges as razor is to blades.

message 11: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3401 comments That one should be on the SAT.

I refuse all offers of free trials (or free anythings). The salesperson seems astonished that a person wouldn't want something for nothing, but they're just dangling the bait, hoping to hook you.

The only things I've found that are really free are the rewards on some credit cards. As long as you pay the balance monthly, you can get money for free in the form of gift cards.