Amazon Kindle discussion

Kindle Samples and Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) I am a huge fan of free Kindle samples. I almost never buy books without reading a sample first (it has to be either a free classic or by an author I already love). But what I've been wondering is this: what do I do on Goodreads with Kindle samples that I've read if I haven't bought the book?

When I buy or check out of the library a book and don't finish it, I list it in Goodreads with a low rating. But Kindle samples seem different... I guess because I haven't actually started reading the book, I've just read a piece of it that's separate from the book itself.

What do you do on Goodreads with Kindle samples?

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments If I read a sample and don't choose to buy the book, I would put it in my "So Bad I Couldn't Finish" shelf and rate it one star.

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
For me to bother rating a sample that I didn't finish, it would have to be absolutely horrible. If I read the sample and it's just not my cup of tea, I just move on and don't bother listing it on Goodreads. But if I read a sample and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out, I'll probably put it on my Did Not Finish shelf with a low rating.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) You could make yourself a 4th exclusive shelf called "Kindle Samples" or what stormhawk suggested or whatever, and list them there.

message 5: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments I don't list or rate samples at all. If I read one and like it, I'll put it on my TBR list until I've read the full book. If I didn't like it, I won't rate it or put it on any list.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments I don't list samples either. I don't consider them to be "books".

message 7: by Irene (new)

Irene I don't rate samples or list books that I haven't actually read.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments I thought a Kindle would simplify my reading - but they offer these free samples. I'm now a sample junkie!

If I like the sample, I keep is on my Kindle as a sort of "to read" collection. I'll have to work to coordinate my Kindle "to read" collection with my Goodreads shelf.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy | 6 comments Where are these free Kindle samples found?

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments When browsing for books in Amazon, you will find a box under the purchase button labelled "Try it free". Click the "Send sample now" button.

It's that easy! (And addicting, too!)

message 11: by Lahni (last edited Feb 11, 2011 07:40AM) (new)

Lahni I wouldn't rate a sample personally. Like others, if its good the book goes on my TBR list. If you want to keep track of the "bad" samples you've tried so you don't try them again then make a "kindle bad sample" shelf.

I actuall need to make a "kindle samples" list on GR becasue I use my GR list more than my kindle when I choose what to read and I forget what I have samples for! I don't always read the samples right away.

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy | 29 comments If I want a longer sample than the one offered on Amazon, I see if the book is on smashwords.com

Randy

message 13: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) | 23 comments I haven't downloaded samples yet but should consider doing so to be honest as would have avoided spending money on about 3 books that I ended up hating after a chapter or so.

message 14: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments @Yas: Exactly!

I view samples as the equivalent of browsing through a bookstore, taking some books off the shelf and flipping through them. Can potentially save a lot of money.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) Ralph wrote: "For me to bother rating a sample that I didn't finish, it would have to be absolutely horrible. If I read the sample and it's just not my cup of tea, I just move on and don't bother listing it on G..."

Agreed. In general, I don't rate anything that I didn't finish simply because I wasn't into it. If on the other hand, I don't finish a book because I "want[ed] to gauge my eyes out," I would probably give it a very low rating.

message 16: by Lahni (new)

Lahni Yas wrote: "I haven't downloaded samples yet but should consider doing so to be honest as would have avoided spending money on about 3 books that I ended up hating after a chapter or so."

Amazon will let you return the book. I think you can return any book within a week. (I'm not sure on the time frame.)

message 17: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) | 23 comments Rick wrote: "@Yas: Exactly!

I view samples as the equivalent of browsing through a bookstore, taking some books off the shelf and flipping through them. Can potentially save a lot of money."

Yep I will do that next time lol rather than download them straight away!

Lahni I never knew that. Will have to look into it!

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Rick wrote: "I thought a Kindle would simplify my reading - but they offer these free samples. I'm now a sample junkie!

If I like the sample, I keep is on my Kindle as a sort of "to read" collection. I'll ha..."

So happy to hear there are other "sample junkies"

message 19: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) Thanks for all the responses, everyone! It's really interesting to see what other people do with samples. Rick and Ann, I'm a sample junkie too--I think I have almost 100 on my Kindle, and I've had it for less than two months!

For some reason it didn't occur to me to save samples without a rating. I think I'll do that--make a special category for samples and save the ones that just didn't catch my interest with no rating, but give a low rating to the ones that really irritated me.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) *raises hand* I'm another sample junkie, definitely!

I don't rate books that I haven't finished, so I haven't rated any books where I've just read the sample. On the other hand, if I start reading the sample and I'm planning to buy it, I'll put it in "currently reading"

message 21: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments I haven't yet found the formula for sample lengths. Presumably it is up to the publisher.

I downloaded a sample yesterday that stopped after the author's introduction - the shortest one I've seen so far!

message 22: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Rick wrote: "I haven't yet found the formula for sample lengths. Presumably it is up to the publisher.

I downloaded a sample yesterday that stopped after the author's introduction - the shortest one I've seen..."

I believe it's determined by a certain percent. Most likely publishers get to choose between X and Y percent. Some probably go with the lowest and don't realize that it doesn't get past the cover, copyright, and author intro.

message 23: by أثير (new)

أثير (atheer_suliman) regardless of whether it is a kindle sample or not, some books you just can't finish them. which made me wonder why there is no "un-finished" status in goodreads.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments I created my own bookshelf, I call it "Abandoned".

message 25: by أثير (new)

أثير (atheer_suliman) Patricia wrote: "I created my own bookshelf, I call it "Abandoned"."

but what would you mark it as, "read" or "to-be-read"?

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Atheer wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I created my own bookshelf, I call it "Abandoned"."

but what would you mark it as, "read" or "to-be-read"?"

I have an abandoned shelf too. You can make the shelf (or any shelf) exclusive like the read/to-read/currently-reading under my books>bookshelves (edit)

message 27: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments I like the idea of an "Abandoned" shelf. That way, if I ever come across it again, I can double-check back on my shelf.

message 28: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) Cindy wrote: I have an abandoned shelf too. You can make the shelf (..."

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for letting us know! (I feel like I keep learning something new about Goodreads every day. This is such a great site.) Now I can change my "kindle-samples" shelf and my "not-worth-finishing" shelf so it doesn't look like I actually read the book...

message 29: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Thanks, Cindy. That's really good to know. Now I have an Abandoned shelf, and also one for Reference. I have many books which are not the kind of thing you actually "read", but haven't had a way to keep track of them. I don't know if I'll be diligent enough to enter them all into Goodreads, but at least now I have a way to do it.

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments If I can't finish the book, I usually just don't rate it.

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) You're welcome! Having other exclusive shelves sure helps with organization around here.

message 32: by Patricia (last edited Feb 14, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Atheer wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I created my own bookshelf, I call it "Abandoned"."

but what would you mark it as, "read" or "to-be-read"?"

Atheer, when I place a book on the Abandoned shelf, I know that it means I started reading it and gave up, or was just not interested in it at the time, so I consider it a "To Be Read" book, not a "Read" book.

Edited for clarification.

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 12 comments I always considered reading the samples on Kindle the equivalent of picking up the book in the book store or at the library and paging through a couple pages. If I like it I buy it (depending on the price, of course--anything over $10, I opt for the library waiting list) If I don't like it, it goes back on the virtual shelf. Not enough time invested in reading a sample to warrant a review.

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Ralph wrote: Most likely publishers get to choose between X and Y percent..."

It's an arbitrary length decided by Amazon. It's 10% of the book, so it would vary by book size. If a book is image-heavy, I suppose that would make the sample smaller.

I'm an author, and I love samples. I'd much rather that someone read the sample and not buy my book than make a book sale and the reader later discover it's not what they expected.

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments I have downloaded samples that were huge the complete works of Mark Twain (10800 locations)
complete works of Jane Austen(3400) and the works of James Joyce(2800) I can't imagine the size of that Mark Twain book. Boggles the mind.

message 36: by Brent (new)

Brent Knowles (brentknowles) | 10 comments Yeah I'd agree with Judy that its more like checking a book out in the store. If its not my cup of tea (i.e., not the kind of writing/story/style I like) and I don't want to read it I wouldn't rate it.

That said if I started reading it and _hated_ it I might rate it.

In regards to the length of the sample, I think Amazon just chooses a length -- I know I've put up story reprints on Amazon and I didn't get to chose the sample size (as opposed to Smashwords where the author does set a percent).