YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Adult Paranormal and Fantasy > Black Dagger Brotherhood

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) This series I know at least a few of us have read. Isa and Timipre for sure.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Father Mine Zsadist and Bella's Story (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6.5) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward

Cheesy covers, complete fluff books, but I love em as a guilty pleasure. They are the equivilent for me of House of Night in terms of guilty pleasures. You know the writing and stories aren't that great, but you can't help reading them.

It's hard not to love a series that features a different hot warrior vampire in each book. Book 1 is actually the only brother I'm not fond of, so if you don't like the pro wrestler description of the guy in book 1, take heart. The other guys get much hotter.

Most of the adult series that I recommend are urban fantasy, and have a slower build relationship that takes place over several books, so they're not as steamy as this series.

This series is PNR, and each book has its own couple (although the characters cross over into other books as well), so it's steamier than the other adult books I usually rec.

message 2: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
i want to read these soooooooooooo bad!!!!!!

message 3: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments I'm in book 6 (Lover Avenged) Right now. I really love these book. I like how grown up it is and different from the regular YA. I love that the characters all have issues that they struggle with in addition to the war they fight with the Lessening Society. And they female characters are all great too. I wonder how many more book will be in the series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I "think" there will be 12.

message 5: by Timmysparks (last edited Feb 10, 2011 04:06PM) (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments Do you know who the rest will be about? Maybe we'll get Qhuinn and Blay's story? Or will Thor find love again?

(I know this might be creepy but I've picturing Nalla and Thor as a couple when she's grown. Am I creepy? Lol)

message 6: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq loving the thread :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm pretty sure Ward is not giving Qhuinn and Blay their own book :(

Maybe enough fans will get her to change her mind, but the last I heard it's either going to be a side novella or she'll draw the story out between the rest of the books. I need to dig around and see if anything has changed.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Who was Thor again? Why don't I remember him?

message 9: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Stacia ~ curiouser and curiouser wrote: "Who was Thor again? Why don't I remember him?"

(view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't remember at all.

I skimmed most of that history crap with Xhex's origins and Tohr being there, etc. It was sort of boring to me.

message 11: by Timmysparks (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments Tohr is Tohrment. Wellsie's hellran. He disappeared in book 3 and came back at the end of book 6.

I'll be also interested in know iAm and Trez's story. Those guys seem so mysterious. And also Lassiter. I think he's funny.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yeah, I knew who Tohr was, I just skimmed most of the flashback stuff.

I'm surprised that Lassiter isn't in Ward's new fallen angels series. Maybe he'll be in a later book.

message 13: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments I actually thought the Fallen Angel series was about him at first.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) When did Lassiter first show up in the books? Was he in the series before Tohr came back? That's another thing I don't remember. I know that Tohr came back with Lassiter and I was thinking, who is this guy?

message 15: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments Lassiter was the one who found Tohr and brother him back to the brotherhood and that happened at the end of Lover Enshrined. He wasn't in the series before he found Tohr.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG!!! I just finished the first book, Dark Lover, and again i have to thank everyone at good reads for introducing me to Wrath!!! I don't know who's sexier, him or Barrons;-) They just knocked Jace to number 3.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Haha...the guys get hotter. Zsadist and Rhage and Rehv...oh my.

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments Rhage is just (well there aren't any words...) Can you tell he has another fan. I'm in love with him right now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Timipre wrote: "Do you know who the rest will be about? Maybe we'll get Qhuinn and Blay's story? Or will Thor find love again?

(I know this might be creepy but I've picturing Nalla and Thor as a couple when she's..."

ARGH. I can't believe that I didn't get that you meant Tohrment. I just re-read that conversation and I was trying to figure out who Thor was and you mean Tohr.

Gee, that makes a lot more sense now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm right there with you on the Rhage love, Alison.

message 21: by Carina (new)

Carina I'm about to eat my words right now. I had been complaining that Dark Lover had fallen flat, but what do you know. Right after my comments I kept reading and it really grabbed me. One of the things that really helped were the side characters, they sort of completed the book for me. So I gave it a 3.5 and I'm happy to move on to the next book Lover Eternal Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward
(I should have known you'd be right on telling me to be patient Stacia =D)

message 22: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 5 comments Timipre wrote: "I'm in book 6 (Lover Avenged) Right now. I really love these book. I like how grown up it is and different from the regular YA. I love that the characters all have issues that they s..."

I was put onto BDB by the ladies in my book club and i read the first 5 and really liked them but by the time i started reading Phurys book i must admit i became a little bored and haven't been interested in finishing it at all, I have brought the rest of the series in the hopes that i will eventually want to finish the series.
Should I continue reading them, is it worth it in the end?

message 23: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq crystal wrote: "Timipre wrote: "I'm in book 6 (Lover Avenged) Right now. I really love these book. I like how grown up it is and different from the regular YA. I love that the characters all have is..."

Crystal, I thought books 7 and 8 were really good, so I hope you continue reading them :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I agree with Isa. Books 7 and 8 are somehow different from the rest of the series, but I really liked them. Either people like the new direction the series is going in, or they revolt against the heavier PNR influence of the first 5 or so books. There's a chance if you got tired of the formula, that the newer books might really be your thing. Ward has broken out from the one couple thing and started delving into more of the vamp world, as well as some of the character's pasts.

Plus, I have a soft spot for the developing Blay and Qhuinn story in the later books, so I might be biased.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) 2 more days til the new book!!!

message 26: by Carina (new)

Carina Awesome! I'm on book 5 ATM

message 27: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments I'm trying to get through the Iron Fey series before I read the next BDB But I have downloaded Lover Unbound just in case I need PNR break :-)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Carina wrote: "Awesome! I'm on book 5 ATM"

Books 5 and 6 had endings that sort of annoyed me, but I do really like V as a character. His relationship with Butch is kind of hot in a bromance way.

I can not wait to see what you think of Rehv and JM's books.

message 29: by Carina (new)

Carina @Stacia Ok now that u mention it....what is the deal with V? Is he like....into Butch, you know, that way?? I'm sort of confused right now, Im about 100 pages in

message 30: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 26, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) He's never loved a woman, and only uses them for sex. He's never had a close relationship or friendship with a man, and has never really felt like he fit in completely with the Brothers, so Butch was the first person he actually loved. Because of that, V started to have an attraction to him.

When he falls in love with Jane, he'll realize that what he feels for Butch isn't the same as the love he feels for Jane.

message 31: by Carina (new)

Carina *Wipes forhead* oh thank god!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's weird but I almost hoped for a second there'd be a cutaway to a Butch/V interlude. It didn't happen though...

message 33: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments Ah so the next book is about V I take it. I like him, he's abit oddball and I like oddball. Gotta get through Iron D quickly.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yes. V is book 5, Phury is 6. Both of the books are good, but not as good as books 2, 3, 7 and 8.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Even though I'm a huge Qhuay fan, it was cute to see the scenes with Blay and Saxton together. They were very sweet and it was nice that it wasn't all "fade to black" like it had been in previous books. I hope Saxton gets his HEA eventually.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It was just confirmed that the next book will be about Tohr.

message 37: by Carina (new)

Carina Yes! I'm so glad Thor is getting his book =) Right now I'm reading Lover Avenged and damn this is a huge book....but what I want to know is when Ward is gonna give Q his book?? I've heard some comments that he's gonna end up with Layla and not Blay...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I still don't know if Qhuinn and Blay are going to get a side novella or if their story is just going to be told a little bit at a time over the rest of the books.

Without telling what happens in book 9, it's apparent that Qhuinn and Layla are going to have some sort of ties together in the future, but it could go one of many ways. I don't think they'll end up as a traditional couple because too many people are pulling for a Qhuay match, but I wouldn't rule out other things.

Look at your own risk, there are some spoilers for book 9.
My guess is that (view spoiler)
I've also heard the guess that (view spoiler)

message 39: by Carina (new)

Carina I'm not peeking at the spoilers, but I feel like a total dork! I was like "Who the hell is Qhuay and what does he have to do with Qhuinn and Blay??"
Then it hit me *face palm* Q and B as a couple= Qhuay
Like I said, I'm a dork, and apperently slow...LOL!
I just started Lover Avenged, after finishing If I Stay. I had nothing else to read at the moment so I took it as an Omen that I should keep reading BDB. ;P
Spoiler for book 6 (view spoiler)
I really, really, REALLY hope Ward gives Q and B a book of their own!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Q is a martyr. He believes in pushing away love to make others happy.

message 41: by Carina (new)

Carina Which is a love/hate trait for me =)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Just saw this comment from a friend in my romance group :

In an interview with Ward she was asked if Tohr and No'One would be each others HEA Ward made a heart with her hands, so I'm leaning prettily heavily towards them. Plus I think that No'One was supposed to be Tohrs HEA all along. Ward also said that Wellsie was never meant to be Tohrs, that she was a curveball for 'fate'.

message 43: by Carina (new)

Carina I have no idea who NO'one is And after what Thor has been throu I'm sooooooo glad the he's getting his HEA, but I still think that it was horrible that Wellsie died cause she made Thor happy and he was more than heart broken with her and his young deaths.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Argh. Sorry. It's not really a big spoiler because she's not a main character or has a story that I'm giving away. She briefly makes appearances here and there. She lives on the other side where Layla came from.

message 45: by Carina (new)

Carina Nah its not a spoiler

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's official : Qhuinn and Blay are getting a novella. Also, news on Tohr's book, and other novellas for Wrath/Beth and Rhage/Mary.

http://lizasblog-liza.blogspot.com/20...

message 47: by Carina (new)

Carina I'm so glad you're always on top of the latest news Stacia! Qhuay novella....Yay!!!!(Would have rather have a whole book, but will settle for they're story any way she wants to give it to us)

There were a whole bunch of people mentioned that I havent read about yet, so I guess that means I MUST keep reading! lol

Although at this point I start getting sad because I have so few books left to read and then I'll have to wait for the next to release =(
Do these books come out every 6 months or every year?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't look for stuff, I just happen to surf way too many groups. If one group has info, I take it and post it in the groups that don't. It's like recycling.

Don't think the next one is coming out until next year unfortunately.

If you finish this series and start missing the brothers, Midnight Breed is very similar from what I can tell. I've only read the first book, but the concept of warrior vamps living together and fighting bad vamps while waiting for their soulmates is eerily close to BDB.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

if ever u have a question just ask Stacia. I'm excited about Tohr getting his own book. Still haven't read newest book about Payne but I cant wait to get started. Probably tomorrow... oh wait City of Fallen Angels comes out tomorrow!!!! Payne and Dr. Manny will have to take a back seat to Jace;-)

message 50: by Déa (new)

Déa Solin Bought the two first books last weekend c:

« previous 1