What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Book very much like the film 'the village'

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Houghton | 6 comments Again I read this when I was a young girl (I have a child the sameish age which is why I'd like to find them!) It was a book about a family who live deep in the countryside and at first you think they lice in the 19th century. The dad is quite controlling and his daughters stay at home and do all the housework. Then one day I think someone rolls up in a car (!!) and they get told they have to send their children to school and it is all to do with how the girl(s) survive the transition into modern living. I think this is how it goes as I was 10 when I read it. Its American, could have been about amish people but I doubt it as the girls are sent to a 'normal'school and I think up untill then they did truly believe they lived in the 19th century! :oD

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (queentess) | 9 comments Could it be Running Out of Time? I haven't read it, and the synopsis on GR is sorta vague. But check out this article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,67925...

message 3: by Thuy-Van (new)

Thuy-Van I don't think it's Running Out of Time. I've read that one and it's about this living museum where people live (and the children actually believe) in the 1800s all the time. Visitors to the museum can view it via hidden cameras and false walls. The town started dying of diphtheria (or something like that) and so one of the moms tell her daughter the truth and helped her escape into the real world to get help because the museum was going to let the disease run its course like in real life with no medical help.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Houghton | 6 comments Mmmm, could very well be! Thanks muchly, I'll get one and see! The similarities are very great so more than likely it is! :oD

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Emma wrote: "Mmmm, could very well be! Thanks muchly, I'll get one and see! The similarities are very great so more than likely it is! :oD"

Emma, Please come back and let us know. Thanks.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2328 comments I don't know for sure if it is the one, but the phrase a book like 'The village' and Haddix's book come up together time and again in book queries.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I sent her a PM, but she hasn't been active in GR since that reply dated Feb. 12, 2011. If she doesn't reply, I'm for the next mod who reads this moving it down to Possibly Solved

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Emma, is this Solved? It's been in Possibly Solved for 8 years and we'd like to either move it to Solved, or Abandoned.