What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Girl who gets sent to her grandmothers after being abandoned

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Houghton | 6 comments I read this book in about 1990. Its about a young girl abandoned by her disfunctional mother after she meets a man. (The mother that is!) Social services know little about this girl and think they know her grandmother so send the girl to live with her out in the countryside. The grandmother is getting quite old and I remember that they play Solitare together and the old lady keeps cheating. I loved the book when I was little but CANNOT remember what it was called and what the girl was called either. I think she also makes a friend that is a boy who loves badger...I think!

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyclarkbooks) | 30 comments Is it Daphne's Book by Mary Downing Hahn by Mary Downing Hahn?

Daphne lives with her Grandmother who has dementia.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Houghton | 6 comments Oh my god, it isn't but I LOVED (!!!!!) this book when I was a kid!!!! I'd forgotten about it! Not the right book, but many many thanks for reminding me of this one, I read it over 100 times! :oD

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 704 comments Is the grandmother obsessed with purple? Dancing on the Edge

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff maybe, although that was published after 1990

message 6: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) | 55 comments Miriam wrote: "Is the grandmother obsessed with purple? Dancing on the Edge"

That's what I thought of too, but the mother dies at the beginning of that--or in the backstory, really.

message 7: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Sampedro Could it possibly be Pollyanna? Pollyanna

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Emma, are you still looking for this or did you find it?