Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Bookmark Swap > Bookmark swap themes

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Oct 15, 2011 08:44PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Every other round in our bookmark swap has a theme (odd numbered swaps). The books are always based on or about YA, since we want to stay true to the original idea of the Wild Things group.

So far, these are what we've done for our themed rounds:

*Recipient's choice (recipient listed 3 faves and maker chose 1 to represent)
*Fairy/folk tales
*Judge a book by it's cover (maker used a book they'd only seen and never read)
*Award Winners
*Fantasy/Sci-Fi
*LGBTQ
*Multicultural
*Paranormal/Supernatural
*Food

Our non-themed swaps (even numbered swaps) are free-for-all rounds. The bookmark maker gets to decide which YA book they'd like to represent.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Below are themes we've previously used for our swaps. If you have a suggestion for a theme, please post it here. Remember, themed swaps are every other swap.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) How about a service person theme? Military, firefighter, police, president, etc as a main character/ adversary.

Or a road trip theme for summer. A book about traveling or taking a trip.

Or a book that mimics a reality show. The main character is a singer (American Idol) or dancer (Dancing With the Stars) or is overweight (The Biggest Loser) or pregnant young (16 and Pregnant), etc? You pick the show.

message 4: by Gale (new)

Gale Minchew (galeminchew) I really like the service person theme!

message 5: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments Here are some off the cuff:

Paranormal/supernatural
Humorous
Multicultural (written by someone from or written about a culture different than your own)
Classics
Animals as characters (e.g. Charlotte's Web)
Illustrated or Graphic Novel

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Great, thanks Vicki!

Okay, between Vicki and my suggestions we have 9 themes. Give me 3 more, and that'll last us for 2 years worth of themed swaps! I'll run them through a randomizer to get the order in which we'll do them.

3 more? Anyone?

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy How about a romantic theme? A book in which two characters fall in love?

Food theme
Religious
Sports related

message 8: by Misty (last edited May 08, 2011 06:18PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I have a few ideas:

Poetry (might especially be good for next April, which will be National Poetry month; we missed it for this year)

Various rounds of favorites (Favorite Authors, fave book as a kid, etc.)

One I think we could really have fun with and get creative:
Mash-up. Take a couple of books and combine them into 1. Something silly to play with and have fun with.
You know, like The Forest of Toads and Diamonds = a mash-up of The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan and Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson . A zombie fairytale. ;)

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy I love the mash up idea!

Caroline Havenhand | 88 comments Misty, I love the mash-up idea!

Here's a couple I came up with:
Alphabet-themed bookmarks would last us a while!
So, first month would be A, and your book title needs to begin with A, such as Malinda Lo's Ash.
For difficult letters like Q and Z, perhaps we could make concessions and allow the author's surname.

Books originally written in another language/set in a different country. This month's book, Battle Royale inspired this idea.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Love the alphabet idea too. Can we plan past the end of the year? Seems like too many good choices!

message 12: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Yes, a lot of great ideas! I will put them all through the randomizer and we'll use the first six to come up. That'll get us through a year of swaps (since it's only every other swap that has a theme).

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Yay! All the themes sound great!

message 14: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (sheribo) | 55 comments Ok, so round 14 will be readers choice? Sorry I haven't been doing this long enough to follow the pattern. It seems like the last 2 were themed (sci/fi, fantasy and LGBTQ). The reason I ask for clarification, is that I would like to maybe get started on a few ideas that might take a little longer to execute. Just want to start planning. Thanks!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy From the way it looks, odd numbers are themed. Even are free choice. We always have a free choice round after a themed one.

message 16: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Sheri wrote: "Ok, so round 14 will be readers choice? Sorry I haven't been doing this long enough to follow the pattern. It seems like the last 2 were themed (sci/fi, fantasy and LGBTQ). The reason I ask for cla..."

Yes, Amy is right. Every even numbered swap is a free choice swap. You can use any YA book you want for those rounds.

Every odd numbered swap has a theme. The next round we'll do is going to be a free choice, since we are just shipping swap #13 with a theme.

message 17: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Woo hoo, mash-up!

message 18: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (sheribo) | 55 comments I'm a bit intimidated by the mash up. I have NO idea what to do. Good thing I have a while to think about it!

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy I have half of my mash up planned. I think it'll definitely be an interesting one. I'm more worried about the multicultural one.

message 20: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Mash up isn't until December(ish)!

message 21: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Jan 15, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Ok...

Here are the bookmark themes through the end of 2012!

Feb. 2012 Swap #20: free choice - use any YA book you like

Mar. 2012 Swap #21: Mash-up - use two different YA books together to make a single bookmark combining them both

Apr. 2012 Swap #22: free choice - use any YA book you like

May 2012 Swap #23: Graphic or illustrated novel - use a YA appropriate graphic or illustrated novel

Jun. 2012 Swap #24: free choice - use any YA book you like

Jul. 2012 Swap #25: Classics - use a YA book that's been shelved on GR as a classic

Aug. 2012 Swap #26: free choice - use any YA book you like

Sep. 2012 Swap #27: Poetry - use a YA book written in verse

Oct. 2012 Swap #28: free choice - use any YA book you like

Nov. 2012 Swap #29: Service person - use a YA book featuring a service person as a main character

*skipping December- holiday break!*

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy These sound great Angela!

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments I thought Nov. was Food?

message 24: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments Nov 2011 is Food. Nov 2012 is Humorous.

:)

message 25: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) vicki_girl wrote: "Nov 2011 is Food. Nov 2012 is Humorous.

:)"

Yep, we're planning WAAAAYYY ahead. No thinking 'til 2013! :)

message 26: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments OOO0o0oooo I see lol

message 27: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments hahaha!

message 28: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I'm going to make an executive decision about the swap for December- there's not going to be one! We only had 5 participants for November, and December is a crazy busy month, so we'll skip it and continue on in January.

message 29: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Woooooaaa...you really have planned! Looks great! I'll try to get back in the game in January ;)

message 30: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Okay, we skipped December AND January! Who's ready to create?

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy Wow, it was a nice break!

message 32: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Hello :-) Wanted to let you know that my blog is doing a book and bookmark swap if you are interested :-) http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2013/...