Amazon Kindle discussion

Hello!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Richardson | 7 comments Hi all
I'm another Kindle-convert - got one for Christmas, and loving it. I'm also finding it useful for work and study as I can put PDFs onto it, and send Word documents to it to save me carrying loads of papers everywhere. Has anyone else found other good uses for their Kindle?
Heather

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I have learned that it is a great way to meet people. Take it out to read in public and all of a sudden complete strangers walk up to you and ask if it's an iPad.

(I should get commissions from amazon. I've "sold" a bunch of them)

message 3: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) stormhawk wrote: "I have learned that it is a great way to meet people. Take it out to read in public and all of a sudden complete strangers walk up to you and ask if it's an iPad.

Haha, really? That's funny! I've had questions about the Kindle from complete strangers, but no one ever thought it was anything but a Kindle... Of course, I have the charcoal version, which is less similar to other devices than the white version, I suppose.

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I have actually had a couple of people properly ask, "Is that a Kindle," but I was going for the laugh ... ;)

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments I love being able to send my own documents to my Kindle. The other day I taught an entire lecture from it - much more convenient than fumbling with sheets of paper!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookfairy76) Heather wrote: "Hi all
I'm another Kindle-convert - got one for Christmas, and loving it. I'm also finding it useful for work and study as I can put PDFs onto it, and send Word documents to it to save me carrying..."

Hi Heather. I just got a Kindle for Christmas also. So I am still figuring out all of the features. Would you be willing to explain to me how you get PDFs and Word docs onto the Kindle? Thanks :-)

message 7: by Rick (last edited Feb 10, 2011 01:53PM) (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments I've tranferred documents in three ways. Here they are in order of convenience and ease:

1. Email the document to my kindle email address. I have the wifi only, so there is no charge. (If you have the 3g version, be sure to use the @free.kindle.com address to avoid charges.)

2. Connect my Kindle to my computer and drag and drop the documents into my Kindle.

3. Use Calibre to manage my Kindle content.

Hope this helps. I can, of course, elaborate on any of these, if you need me to!

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Richardson | 7 comments Jessica wrote: "Heather wrote: "Hi all
I'm another Kindle-convert - got one for Christmas, and loving it. I'm also finding it useful for work and study as I can put PDFs onto it, and send Word documents to it to s..."

Hi Jessica
Rick got there before me! I find the emailing method the easiest one (I have the wifi version too). If you're emailing a PDF put the word Convert in the subject line. That's supposed to make the process smoother (although don't ask me how!)
Heather

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments If you have a Kindle with wifi, you can email the pdfs to (kindleaddress)@free.kindle.com and you won't be charged for the conversion. If you download with the 3G, there is a data transfer charge.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber Adamchuk (celticstorm76) stormhawk wrote: "I have learned that it is a great way to meet people. Take it out to read in public and all of a sudden complete strangers walk up to you and ask if it's an iPad.

(I should get commissions from a..."

I am there with you in the last two months I have gotten 5 people to buy one, and influenced two others to go with the Kindle. I love it!

message 11: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 1 comments Hello everyone. I have my kindle for almost 2 months now. Love it. I read a lot more than before.

message 12: by Orbs n Rings (new)

Orbs n Rings (autumnbluesreviews) | 33 comments I agree it is a real conversation starter. When I take my mom or myself to a doctors appointment I pull it out to read. Then as if on cue, people start asking me what it is. Sometimes I don't get to read because they start talking to me and before I know it they are calling my mom or me in. lol

message 13: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments stormhawk wrote: "..all of a sudden complete strangers walk up to you and ask if it's an iPad"

haha

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (esskaym) | 1 comments Hi all! I got my Kindle for my birthday last month but had been using Kindle for PC and Kindle for Blackberry for months before that. My bedside table looks so naked without a stack of books.

message 15: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Congrats on the Kindle and welcome to the group!

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookfairy76) Heather wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Heather wrote: "Hi all
I'm another Kindle-convert - got one for Christmas, and loving it. I'm also finding it useful for work and study as I can put PDFs onto it, and send Word docu..."

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions! I have another question that hopefully someone can help with. I went on www.gutenberg.org to try to download some free ebooks. However, when I select the Kinlde format and try to download them, I get a message saying they are an "unknown file format" (a .mobi file). Can anyone help me?

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Richardson | 7 comments Sorry Jessica, I can't answer that one. mobi is the format that Kindle uses - have you been able to download mobi files from other sites, like Smashwords? Are you downloading to your computer, or straight to the Kindle? You might try downloading from Project Gutenberg to your computer in a different format (.doc maybe?) and then email it to your Kindle.

Hopefully someone more expert will have some better suggestions.

Heather

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy | 6 comments I bought myself a Kindle for Christmas, have been downloading and reading lots since then. I really enjoy the discussions about Kindle here on Goodreads.

message 19: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments Hi, Jessica. I was able to successfully download a mobi format book from Project Gutenberg and send it to my Kindle. As Heather suggests, try emailing it to your Kindle.

Keep us posted! There are lots of helpful people here!

message 20: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments If it's your computer not recognizing the .mobi format, then perhaps you need to install mobipocket or calibre so that it recognizes it. Actually, your computer doesn't have to recognize the format for it to work on your Kindle ... just hook the Kindle up with your USB cable, and drag the file across into the documents folder and you should see the book on your Home screen.

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I'm new to the group, but not to Kindle. I got one of the first versions and I still love it. Occasionally I think about upgrading to one of the new versions, but I'm still happy with my old one. I did recently install Kingle on my Android phone and that's great, too. Surprisingly readable (but then my phone screen is pretty large), and sync process is easy.

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Welcome Betsy!!!

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen (karendotson) | 3 comments Hello! I'm new to the group too. I have had my Kindle since September. I kept putting off buying one, but now that I have a Kindle, I wouldn't know what to do without it! I absolutely love my Kindle. I just joined goodreads.com also and am enjoying it.

message 24: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Welcome Karen---both you and Betsy are going to really enjoy Goodreads and this group. I have learned tons of new and fun things from this group in regards to my Kindle, and I have had it over a year!!!

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Welcome Parishreader, you DEFINITELY will make some new friends, and lots of information too!!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookfairy76) stormhawk wrote: "If it's your computer not recognizing the .mobi format, then perhaps you need to install mobipocket or calibre so that it recognizes it. Actually, your computer doesn't have to recognize the format..."

I just installed mobipocket and am able to view a book from gutenberg.org now. So it should be easy to load onto my Kindle next. I'm going to give it a try tonight. Thanks for the suggstion!

message 27: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 21 comments Good suggestion, Stormhawk!