The Book Cellar discussion

Staff Selections > Chance's February Picks

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chance (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Chance Lee (mrchance) | 42 comments Mod
Men at Arms (Discworld, #15) by Terry Pratchett Men at Arms:
Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms is one of the funniest, most suspenseful books in the City Watch branch of the Discworld series. In this installment, the watch diversifies, admitting all sorts of crazy, non-traditional speices: dwarves, trolls, werewolves, and women! Oh my!

message 2: by Chance (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman The Imperfectionists:
Forget newspapers, Tom Rachman's series of vignettes about a variety of people--albeit fiction ones--working at a struggling daily in Rome gets to the true heart of human interest.

message 3: by Chance (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Girl with a Pearl Earring:
Tracy Chevalier's intimate portrait of real-life painter Vermeer and his mysterious relationship with the titular girl is as romantic and alluring as his iconic masterpiece.

message 4: by Chance (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:25AM) (new)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  by Mark Haddon The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time:
Mark Haddon's brilliant debut chronicles the adventures of Christopher, an autistic boy trying to solve the gruesome murder of his neighbor's poodle, Wellington. The first-person story brings us into Christopher's head where we notice--and appreciate--the differences and similarities between us.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (empendleton) | 19 comments Mod
Chance wrote: "Men at Arms (Discworld, #15) by Terry Pratchett Men at Arms:
Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms is one of the funniest, most suspenseful books in the City Watch branch of the Discworld series. In this installment, the w..."

My brother has read and enjoyed "Pyramids," by Pratchett. What do you recommend next?

message 6: by Chance (new)

I would recommend Going Postal! It's one of his more recent books, and I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (empendleton) | 19 comments Mod
Thank you, Chance!