Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never read the books or seen the show, but I didn't know the author of the Vampire Diaries was hired to write the series as conceived of by the publisher. Apparently they're firing her now.
http://io9.com/#!5756378/the-author-o...

Weird.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That IS weird! She doesn't seem too upset about it. Maybe she's tired of writing that story, especially if the publisher want her to keep the status quo, as it sounds like they do, instead of having the characters develop and go new directions.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments All of the examples I can think of that are similar involve a pseudonym and a stable of writers, like Carolyn Keene. It's interesting that they chose a specific writer and then asked her to move on when she didn't do what they wanted with the characters. Novel writing by committee.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've read the first four books, and it felt like she had wrapped things up in book three, and was forced to come back and revive some characters in book four.

It wasn't pretty, it felt totally forced and unbelievable, and I stopped reading at that point. Yes, novel writing by committee. I don't like it. Characters should have organic motivations for their actions, not just do things to move the storyline along.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.