Beyond Reality discussion

Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
This topic is about Peril's Gate
SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Peril's Gate - FINALE, Ch XVI, XVII - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments For the survivors of the maze to discuss the full impact of the experience - this topic presumes you have finished this volume, and all prior books of the Wars of Light and Shadow.

There have been promises made, and a quite hair-raising alliance with Davien. Arithon has recovered his mage sight.

Where do you think this may lead?

Also ;) - rest assured, there is laughter waiting in the next volume....

Don't forget to uncheck your update feed box, and don't worry about spoiler tags UNLESS!!!! you have read past this book.

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Alas, I have read way too far ahead. Anything I say will be a real SPOILER at this point.

Those who are right on track, please chime in!

orannia Finished! Last night!

I'm really glad you said that. I found this book far grimmer and darker than previous books, which made it far harder to read. Possibly because I was beginning to despair there would be anything to signify that things might change for those beleagured. I do feel like the ending gave me that hope though (although I am still heartsore [understatment of the century] over Jieret's loss). I must confess to getting lost at times while in the maze :) Just in regard to interpreting what exactly was happening.

I did find the following very interesting:

I bear my colleagues no malice for what happened. Quite the contrary, though I maintain that I broke the monarchies for a sound cause.

And Davien has already mentioned the rebellion was his version of the Havens. I'm curious as to the 'why' - what he hoped to gain (is it to do with the wraiths or something else we don't know about yet) - and whether the Fellowship knew about this reason afterwards (I'm guessing they didn't know about it before). If they did, then they obviously feel that Davien made the wrong choice...whether that is the wrong choice full stop or the wrong choice for the right reasons I don't know.

As for your question Janny, about where I think this may lead, are you referring to Davien & Arithon or Arithon's mage-sight? The former...interesting. It's there a saying that is also a curse: 'May you live in interesting times'? I think that will be the case in the next books.

And maybe it's me, but it is as though Davien views Arithon as a very complex and clever puzzle...that he wants to solve...

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments orannia wrote: "Finished! Last night!

I'm really glad you said that. I found this book far grimmer and darker than previous books, whi..."

This is the 'middle arc' and the middle act, and, this book also holds the 'tipping point' for this arc, and the series entire. The unveilings happen faster and faster...there will still be intense scenes ahead, but - they get lighter in ways you won't expect.

AND - Traitor's Knot does have some fun scenes. One of which, done as a live reading, had half of the room on the floor crying tears of laughter. So - keep on. Your questions --

:X

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments Exhaustion... We've a new surgeon who specializes in breast and is taking much of my reading time away. BTAIM, I have managed to get thru Arithon's testing of his past in Davien's tunnel.

From one point of view this part of the book, written in a new style, is a good summary of events concerning Arithon from all the prior books. From a more important POV it looks at these from another angle, that of Arithon facing himself and facing his character flaws. When forced to be done by a spell or magic which rips away all self protections and delusions would leave us as raw and helpless as a newborn who could not survive without others help (like mom and dad, centaurs and soul-mates).

I was reminded of Luke's failure when he faced himself on Degoba in the Dark side cave. I was reminded of the 4th step in 12 step programs when one has to face oneself. I was reminded of the goals of classical psychoanalysis and "owning your own shadow".

It was very well done and provides many insights of what has gone on before, but as I said is an exhausting read which cannot possibly be comprehended in one reading, at least by me. It has also caused me to look at myself yet again. It's all scary and painful and full of Peril.

I fell asleep while reading, not because of the book, but from real life exhaustion. I've 10 or so pages left to read. Then I will need to do some lighter reading before starting Traitor's Knot.

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Kernos wrote: "Exhaustion... We've a new surgeon who specializes in breast and is taking much of my reading time away. BTAIM, I have managed to get thru Arithon's testing of his past in Davien's tunnel.

From on..."

Friend Kernos, Wurts affects me the same way. Her depth of characters and her examination of ethics forces one to the mirror, doesn't it? Unless one is just looking for pure, superficial escape and entertainment (which is, of course, perfectly okay) you just can't do better than Wars of Light and Shadow.

message 7: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Charles wrote: "Her depth of characters and her examination of ethics forces one to the mirror, doesn't it?"

I agree, and the finale of Peril's Gate is an amazing example of this. That entire scene in Davien's Maze put me through the wringer, emotionally. It's one of the most powerful catharsis scenes I've ever read in fantasy.

message 8: by Bill (last edited Apr 05, 2011 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments And trapped in the 7-sided room, Arithon casts a spell of unmaking and finds his reality dissolving into Chaos. And then he sings: Canto ergo sum

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I know. I get so tense reading these books my muscles
all tighten up, I stop breathing, and I have to sit back and think a while.

While some of the previous scenes are recapped in the maze, they are seen from a very important different point of view - that of forgiveness and compassion. Perhaps the most moving one was the little six year old mountain girl whose name I can't remember taking his hand and assuring him that she is okay... Up to this point, Arithon goes over the top in self castigation sometimes. Here he is able to 'own his own shadow' and as someone who has studied and practiced (and been in) psychoanalysis, I was sooo pleased and moved to see this process as part of Arithon's healing.

And whew! as I am wrung out again, reading about it. I don't know how I missed this thread earlier.

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I'm still processing this Sandra. It has a hook in my brain. I have been going over all of my old strong memories from the very earliest, the either very good or very bad from as far back as I can remember and looking at them again. I've even started writing them down.

For relief (I hope) I just started Old Man's War. I almost started the Hobbit again, but need to get keep working on that mountain of books looming over me.

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kernos wrote: "I'm still processing this Sandra. It has a hook in my brain. I have been going over all of my old strong memories from the very earliest, the either very good or very bad from as far back as I can ..."

I took pause after this volume, too - wrote To Ride Hell's Chasm as a 'relief' valve. ;)

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3217 comments Mod
Random thoughts:

The whole passage in Davien's Maze was amazing--heart-wrenching, cathartic, fearful, healing. When the centaur came to him--that was wonderfully done, and what a contrast to when the centaur appeared to Lysaer.

Kevor joining Ath's Brotherhood--THAT was unexpected for me!

How will Elaira ever continue as a member of the Koriani?

What is Davien up to and what will come of his "alliance" with Arithon? I found it interesting that he speaks of the Fellowship of Seven as though he were not one of them.

Since I am already well behind the group read, I will take a break and read something else before coming back to Athera. I know the discussion will be waiting for me and some of you will kindly respond as I pose my comments and questions.

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2237 comments Mod
Cry mercy! Wow, I am exhausted after finishing this. Glad to hear that there's laughter ahead. Definitely need a break before moving on with the series.

WHAT is Davien's motivation? Can't wait to learn more when I do continue.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I just finished, and WOW!

What an amazing book. It took me a very long time, but the pay-off sure as heck was there. For all the pain, I'm left feeling I need to say that this was beautiful.

The moment in the maze where Arithon can finally say "I accept absolution", that was amazing. It left me feeling like a huge weight had left me as well as him.

As things progressed, I was beginning to hope he would get his mage sight back as he managed to forgive himself, but knowing Janny, I couldn't assume it was going to happen. I'm so glad it did. He hasn't been whole for a very long time and I'm glad to see he is - or at least, very close to it - at last.

No order to these thoughts by the way, just typing them as they come.

I find myself thinking, I totally do not understand Davien. (Which I don't.) But I remember that a number of books back I said the same thing of Dakar and he makes a lot more sense now. It was lovely to hear Davien comment that Dakar would find his power - even if it might take another thousand years.

I thought it very telling also, the way Davien pointed out that 500 years is nothing to the Fellowship of Seven, who think in terms of epochs.

That reminds me - I don't think it is a fair question to ask us at this point what we think of Davien or what he will do. We don't have enough information to understand much of anything about him yet, so how can we make valid predictions.

I loved that Arithon managed to fight off the Mistwraith's curse with his music - even if we had to face the devestating discovery that the curse has in fact been propelling his decisions.

What will he be able to do with both music and mage talent? Imagine that given the kind of time the Fellowship have had to hone their talents. Could be either amazing or scary.

I think Kathi's comment that Davien speaks about the Fo7 as if he isn't one of them. I noticed that too.

Kevor becoming an adept was so cool. I loved that. I will be interested to see what happens with him in the future.

And I continue to love Elaira all over again. May she be freed from the Koriani, because she has grown way beyond them and deserves the chance to see what she could become free from their strictures.

Okay, I think that's enough flow of consciousness typing from me. I am going to take a short break and read something lighter for a while, but right now I also can't wait for Traitor's Knot. But I think the break will be very wise.

Alissa | 171 comments I'm totally speechless.

And this is basically a first. Well, not totally totally, I have to say I loved the detail where Davien leaves his armory unlocked, but keeps the key of his library on his persona. Arithon and Davien within the same premises for some months, now that's disquieting!
Anyway, to be able to finish a book of thundering intensity like this one with a smile on my lips...hats off.

message 16: by Alissa (last edited Mar 09, 2015 03:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alissa | 171 comments Janny wrote: "I took pause after this volume, too - wrote To Ride Hell's Chasm as a 'relief' valve. ;)"

You kidding right?
You most definitely do, I see the ;) emoticon.
To Ride Hell’s Chasm is one of the best standalone I've ever read ever. And like Peril's Gate, all the action unfolds in a brief time span, it just keeps you hooked and its prose is totally divine.

Has Dalwyn died then, since she appears as a shade in the maze?