Christian Children's Books discussion

What makes a good Christian children's book?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Chilson | 1 comments Mod
- Biblical themes
- Engaging pictures
- Rhyme is good (for younger kids)
- Ability to relate to kids
- Fun story (adventure, etc.)

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 2 comments I think that list sums it up very well!

message 3: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn Diorio (drmaryann) 1. It is entertaining.
2. It is sound in doctrine.
3. It is written with excellence.
4. It reflects an understanding of the age group for which it was written.
5. It has illustrations that are well-done and relate well to the text.
6. It is a book that children want to read over and over again.
7. It is a book that transforms a child's life by deepening his hunger for Christ.

Blessings,

MaryAnn

message 4: by Clive (new)

Clive Dale (goodreadscomclive_dale) | 5 comments I love MaryAnn's list. It sums it up well.

I also include readers notes that include: the moral and a page for use in a Christian environment including at least one text.

If it gets into a non Christian home then I'm sure they will read the notes and I pray that the Lord will bless the story and the scripture to those people.

message 5: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn Diorio (drmaryann) Amen, Clive! Great idea you have! :)

Blessings,

MaryAnn

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Davis | 2 comments Absolutely agree with all of these comments!
Coming from a commercial art background, I would add that what makes a good Christian children's book is the same thing that makes any popular children's book. With all of the content that is vying for children's and parent's attention and time, I think we need to do our best to produce work that is the highest quality possible. Work that has an engaging story and appealing artwork. When it comes down to it, our works are being compared to all of the other children's media that is available to consumers, whether it be Christian or not. Hopefully I'm not coming off as negative, but encouraged that there are passionate people with a desire to create great Christian children's books :)

message 7: by Clive (new)

Clive Dale (goodreadscomclive_dale) | 5 comments Totally agree Thomas.
I have the benefit of visiting schools to read my stories and display the illustrations on a screen, and there is nothing like a live audience to tell how well the stories go down.
I am amazed how much the children take in.

All my books have a moral, but after reading two books in a Muslim school and discussed the moral with them. On the third book I asked them what did they think the moral was. It put me to shame when they came up with about five.

Now I do not underestimate Primary children.

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Davis | 2 comments Clive wrote: "Totally agree Thomas.
I have the benefit of visiting schools to read my stories and display the illustrations on a screen, and there is nothing like a live audience to tell how well the stories go ..."

What an awesome ministry to be able to go read your stories to kids! Keep at it Clive!

It's the Spirit of God that will enlighten their hearts to his wisdom and understanding. So that part isn't really our responsibility I don't think. We are just commissioned to share the good news. I'm sure it's a joy to know you play a part in your reader's life story :) Continue to pray for every one of those kids that God will speak into their lives and change them from the inside out!

message 9: by Clive (new)

Clive Dale (goodreadscomclive_dale) | 5 comments Totally agree! We are just a channel using the gifts he has given.