Book Haven discussion

General > Do you ever struggle to pick your next book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments Do you ever have a hard time picking a book to read and then sticking with it? In the past week I've started 2 different books, and they are not "bad" but they just aren't grabbing me and pulling me in to the story. I think I'm about to pick a 3rd one and try to get into it. Anybody else do this?

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (ontariogal) | 47 comments I find I go through different moods for reading, and sometimes it is harder to find a book that suits my reading mood at that time.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton | 19 comments I have a hard time with that too. I try to take a break for a while and then come back to the book to see if it was just my mood. I hate picking up a book and not finishing it.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments Andrea wrote: "I have a hard time with that too. I try to take a break for a while and then come back to the book to see if it was just my mood. I hate picking up a book and not finishing it."

I hate not finishing a book too, but on the other hand, I tell myself life is too short and there are so many GOOD books to read, I don't have time to read them all :)

message 5: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Sometimes. Okay, often.

There are so many books that I want to read that it is difficult to determine the order. It gets especially bad when I am loaned books by other people. They beckon to me from the coffee table and insist that I start them, because I want to get them back in the lender's hands as soon as possible. When they're good I fly through them, otherwise, I struggle through them, and usually have to have another book or two going to keep me interested ... I usually have at least two books going, and have, on occasion, been working on as many as six at a time ... then I realize that's ridiculous, and pick one to focus on and try to forge on through to the end.

I'm finding that goodreads (and my Kindle) has made this multiple books at once effect more prevalent.

It's very rare that I find a book so tedious that I just stop ... I've done this less than a handful of times, more so over the last year, because there is a lot of free content for the Kindle and I don't feel quite as bad abandoning a book.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Patricia wrote: "Do you ever have a hard time picking a book to read and then sticking with it? In the past week I've started 2 different books, and they are not "bad" but they just aren't grabbing me and pulling ..."

I'm going through this right now. My last book was a re-read and I found it okay this time around. Then I picked up The Queen's Fool since I'm doing a challenge for my group and it has been dragging on and on. I put it down and I don't feel like picking it up again. I've been reading it for 9 days which is a very, very long time for me. I keep torturing myself though because I hate not finishing and it's for the challenge. If I wasn't doing the challenge though I would have definitely picked something else by now.

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments I read a lot at once because I read with my mood. so I do struggle with book choices.

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 11 comments Am I alone in savouring that moment when you finish one book and need to pick the next? I love it - I unstack my TBR pile, read the blurbs, flick through a few, have a couple of false starts before settling on which I';m going to read.
I also travel a fair bit and carry a holdall of books with me - i have the same decision when packing to go away, each book carefully selected so that I have something for every mood, so that I wont be bookless while I'm away - and that's in addition to my Kindle!!!!

message 9: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments Very recently, some webpage had a contest where you showcase a picture of your shelf online. well, i ended up cleaning out my bookshelf. wtf was I thinking? I never got the tote boxes back from my cousin when she helped me donate them and she never paid me for the books she bought.

grrr!

message 10: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Whenever I have this issue it is usually because I am starting to get bored with the genre/topic. I usually try picking a book that is completely different that the books I was trying to read. It usually works. Although, sometimes I am just "antsy". I'm not in the mood to read because I feel too active

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathycr) That is happening to me right now. I am reading Galileo's Daughter by David Sobel. I am having a tough time getting into the story. I am reading on Kindle so I will keep going until 25%. It it doesn't happen for me I will put away for awhile.

Cathy

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments I think I finally found one that's grabbing me, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Just got this today on my Nook, from the Philadelphia Library, and I've been anxious to read this one.
So now I'm still reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes which I'm 50% through. And yesterday I started reading Message in a Bottle as a Buddy Read. Before my ereaders I never did this (read more than one book at a time) but now I find that I enjoy it. Whatever my mood, I can pick up where I left off and read the one that's interesting me at the time.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Bray (mikebray) | 6 comments That's exactly why I come here, to find some new reads, books I wouldn't have considered. And I agree with Joy that I usually stop when I get tired of genre.

message 14: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) I do that all the time. I have a bunch of books that I like but suddenly just couldn't get into, so I had to take a break.

message 15: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments @Bonfire--currently reading outside my genre of choice. picked up a star wars book. hoping it will get me out of my depression.

message 16: by Okie (new)

Okie (okiecavies) | 20 comments Hey, Stormhawk, I hear you about there being so many books you can't choose! I guess I choose the genre I'm in the mood for. [Right now I'm James Patterson, super-hero-guy books.]
I have to say that my reaction to the end of a book is pretty much the opposite of Grace's! I am so disoriented, disappointed, & depressed when I finish a book or series I really got into. Anyone else have this problem, or is my imagination just too active?

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 14 comments I do struggle sometimes too. It depends on what I am in the mood for at that time. But there are so many good ones to choose from that I want to read that makes it hard to narrow it down.

message 18: by Storm (new)

Storm (stormgerlock) I try and read from my TBR list but if I don't get into the story quickly enough other books will catch my attention.

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 47 comments It feels like a treat to decide to what to read next when I get to the end of a book, but then, how do I decide? There's so much I want to read, I'm like a kid in a candy store and if the book doesn't grab me in the first 30 to 50 pages I usually move on to something else.

message 20: by Faye (new)

Faye Keyse | 10 comments I definitely struggle with picking what to read next. I always feel like I should be reading something better, something I could learn more from etc. I definitely have second thoughts about a book if I'm not grabbed by the storyline within about 40 pages.

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen I only ever read one book at a time. I hate it though when I get a book that doesn't hold my interest. Historians was the last one.

message 22: by Faye (new)

Faye Keyse | 10 comments Helen wrote: "I only ever read one book at a time. I hate it though when I get a book that doesn't hold my interest. Historians was the last one."

I always tell myself I'm only going to read one at a time but I often have three on the go. Generally, one that is non-fiction, one fiction and another that is easy reading. I find if I read more than one of similar genre/by the same author, I begin to get very confused!

message 23: by eleanor (last edited Jul 09, 2011 02:57PM) (new)

eleanor | 73 comments I think everybody IMO gets to a dry spell.I've read up to 3 books a week for months at a time, then "Poof" can't pick up another to save my life. I actually am having 1 right now in the manner of a Kindle vs. the Paperback. I have tons of Paperbacks I need to get thru but the Kindle seems so easy to read & handle, that I'm becoming spoiled w/it I believe.
Thank You for Your Time :)

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 47 comments I usually have a novel or memoir or biography going and then a book about writing and maybe one more on some other subject.

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) I tend to read one book at a time, and have an unwritten rule that I always finish any book I start. Although with some books this takes longer than others!!

I rarely struggle to pick my next book - as my to read pile is slowly growing into a small library I just go and pick whatever I feel like reading. (Strangely that Twilight book a friend bought me for Xmas a few years ago is still sat there!!)

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jackson eleanor wrote: "I think everybody IMO gets to a dry spell.I've read up to 3 books a week for months at a time, then "Poof" can't pick up another to save my life. I actually am having 1 right now in the manner of a..."

I have the same problem, only I have a nook, one of the first editions. I also have about 300 books still sitting in my house, so I read a couple print books and then one on my nook. Sometimes I'm doing all three at once though.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan1) When I struggle, I take all of my books of of my bookcases and shuffle them around a bit and rearrange them, then wan they are all back on the shelves, I see a bookmi want to read.:)

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 47 comments Sometimes I read books that are related, like I'm reading Mockingbird, the bio of Harper Lee in which Truman Capote figures a lot, so I got a bio of him. The one the movie is based on. I also might reread To Kill a Mockingbird. I might also read something by Capote if I really like his bio. I like to read in clusters like that sometimes.

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet | 45 comments Patricia, I do the same thing. My nightstand generally has a few long-term, part-read residents while dozens of quicker reads go by. I agree with y'all that it's most satisfying to read exactly what you're in the mood for at the time. I recommend the attitude that you're not hurting anything when you return books to the library unread when something's not grabbing you at the moment. There's nothing wrong with boosting their circulation numbers, and it will be there for another time. :)

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) I honestly have never struggled to pick a next book. If I'm not "on a mission" so to speak, like reading books on a challenge list, which I'm doing now, I tend to just go in to the library, bookstore, whatever, & just scan shelves, something ALWAYS seems to either catch my eye, or I swear they draw my hand to them & say pick me, pick me, like kids waiting to be chosen for a team sport. My 18 year old daughter & I were at the second hand bookstore yesterday so I could help her find some books for her American History paper they are beginning to collect materials on, & out of nowhere, this book seemed to grab my hand. It's called The Cartoon History of the United States. I pulled it off the shelf, & added it to the pile, figuring I could always put it back if something else jumped out at me, but it came home with me, for the fun of it, & it's a hoot. I guess somehow the Goddess thought I needed some humor to break up all the heavy reading I've been doing for the challenge list :)

message 31: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments The Cartoon History of the Universe is hilarious, also.

There's a bunch

http://www.larrygonick.com/html/pub/p...

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I love picking my next book. It is what I look forward to the most. Right now I have a fairly clear view of the next 2 books to be read but I know my history too well. I'll usually change the order when I find something that just has to come first. Like Grace at #9 above, I love to look at the bookshelf and flip through the pages or look at the flyleaf or backcover blurb. It's the anticipation and the hope of finding another treasure. I think I should have been a treasure hunter.

message 33: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I go through this all the time. I'm usually reading several books at once and bounce back and forth between them. But there are lots of times when I'll start reading a book and just can't get into it and move on to another one.

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 20 comments I have trouble deciding what book I am going to read next. I sometimes don't start right away, because since I'm not already emersed in the story and have other things capturing my attention. But I wouldn't say a hard time starting. I buy on the 5 page judgement. I expect books to hook me within the first 5 pages why waste time reading it?

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (ciclochick) | 2 comments Never. I've got about 550 TBR - I just mentally 'put a pin in the phone book' !!!! I like a change of genre every 2nd or 3rd book, so just choose accordingly. I'm not so good at reading more than one book at a time, tho' technically I suppose I do, as I am reading one and editing another at the same time! I never put a book down, however bad. That said, I edited a book not long ago that was not only the worst I've read, but quite probably the worst ever written - If I had picked it up as a novel to read it might have been the very first exception to my 'never' rule!!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Patricia wrote: "Do you ever have a hard time picking a book to read and then sticking with it? In the past week I've started 2 different books, and they are not "bad" but they just aren't grabbing me and pulling ..."

Yes it can depend on my mood or if I really got into the last book I read (especially if its a series), it can be hard to get into another book right off the bat.

message 37: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 26 comments Erin I'm exactly the same it depends on my mood,if I can't find a book to suit me, I will go on my lunch break from work and buy a new one or browse the library :)

message 38: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ebel | 5 comments I wonder if we don't go through reading spells? Sometimes for a 6 month period I read one book after another. I'm an author so sometimes I'm immersed too much in my own novel, but I am also at a standstill with reading right now.
We need to reinvent the 24 hour day!

message 39: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Barbara wrote: "I wonder if we don't go through reading spells? Sometimes for a 6 month period I read one book after another. I'm an author so sometimes I'm immersed too much in my own novel, but I am also at a s..."

I do go through reading spells, Barbara. I'll go through periods where I'll read one book after another. Then there will be a few weeks where I'll spend most of my time online or watching TV and won't read much of anything.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Not really. I am busy writing books so my sister gives me all the books she has read, which is a lot. I have a whole shelf of "to-read" books when I have time. I simply pick one off the shelf that interests me at the moment.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren This happens to me, usually because I've either read one too many in that series in a row and I'm just getting tired of it, or I've just gotten through a series/book I love and then I'm having trouble finding that next read that's as good. Or, worst of all - I just read a horrible book and rading just got too frustrating! Usually a break from the series or books doesn't last long! There are a few books I've put down and never picked up again though. Bottom of the pile!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Nancy wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I wonder if we don't go through reading spells? Sometimes for a 6 month period I read one book after another. I'm an author so sometimes I'm immersed too much in my own novel, but ..."

I do the same. I dont think its because I love reading less than anyone else...just my personality, I seem to do this with everything.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Lauren wrote: "This happens to me, usually because I've either read one too many in that series in a row and I'm just getting tired of it, or I've just gotten through a series/book I love and then I'm having trou..."

Yes I call it a burnout of sorts. If Im really into a series and loving it, its hard to read something else right away, my mind is still too caught up in the series world

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I can definitely agree with what is being said here: I was on holidays for 4 weeks in August, during which time I read about 15 books, but then ever since coming back, I haven't turned a single page! It's not that I'm in between books, in fact I'm reading a very nice historical romance, but it just doesn't seem on top of my priority list right now...

message 45: by Alexandra J (new)

Alexandra J (grneyedwhttiger) | 2 comments I tend to struggle when I'm about 5 books into a series. I don't know why but I have a hard time continuing with the same series. I have to go to somethign else for a break. Odd, I know.

message 46: by ☕️Kimberly (last edited Sep 10, 2011 01:19PM) (new)

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) If by struggling you mean picking a book from my never ending TBR list(it's could fill a small bathroom)..then sometimes. I am always torn by reading a book in a series I am following and reading a new book or series. I try to read one book on my TBR pile, one new book and one ARC a week. At this rate I may get caught up when I am a 162!!

message 47: by Jasja (new)

Jasja | 21 comments Heaps of times, sometimes books that I might otherwise love just don't match my mood.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (battlejess) I never really have a problem finding something to read. There's always a book (or twelve) on my shelf I haven't got to yet, and I'll often finish a series before moving on to the next thing. My moods don't really have an effect on what I choose to read, except the rare instance where I just have to reread a certain book. They never dictate what I don't read.

message 49: by Edward (new)

Edward Creter (httpwwwedcoolcom) | 62 comments I ID with those who may ahve trouble deciding what to read next, cos as for me, since my interests runs the gamut from sci-fi/fantasy to general fiction to WW2 stories and horror and mysteries and back again only to be rerouted to another interest like YA, Gay-Lesbian fiction, etc.....well, let's say I go where my reading mood takes me.

message 50: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Lately I've been trying to focus on my current books to clear them out so I can start reading something else. Sometimes this is harder, like right now, I'm not really getting into Red Mars despite being 15% into the book. But I keep chugging along, because I'll pick something shorter that flows better after I get through it.

« previous 1