Catholic Readers discussion

Retreat Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carlos (last edited Feb 10, 2011 07:14AM) (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 22 comments I'm going to be going on retreat this weekend (for the first time in over 20 years). While this one will be a guided retreat, it is also a silent retreat (if you only knew how funny it is to consider me and silence together).

Anyway, to my question ... I've heard that along with scripture, you can also read the Saints during a retreat to ponder on their lives and what they wrote. Therefore, I have two books on my shelves that I'm trying to choose between Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux & Dark Night of the Soul.

Do people suggest one over the other for reading while on retreat? If it helps, the retreat topic is "Becoming the Person God Wants You to Be".

Thanks!

message 2: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments I think Story of a Soul would work great with that topic, but also Confessions of St. Augustine would be apropos.

message 3: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 22 comments Kyle Sanders wrote: "I think Story of a Soul would work great with that topic, but also Confessions of St. Augustine would be apropos."

I have a copy of Confessions too, so we can add that to the mix to choose from. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 4: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 168 comments Mod
It's perhaps a bit late now :) But I think I'd probably choose Story of a Soul too.

message 5: by Carlos (last edited Feb 15, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 22 comments I took Story of a Soul with me, but never opened it. I spent so much time at talks and in prayer that I had little time left for the book. I'll just have to pick it up after I finish the current books that I'm on.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

message 6: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 168 comments Mod
All your free time spent in prayer sounds like one of the few good reasons to not even open a book! ;)

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Migers | 3 comments Hi,
I just started reading " He liked tuesdays best" polish bestseller The story of everyday life of John Paul II.
I think this could be interesting story because is wrote by his best friend.
The book speaks about an ordinary day of John Paul II in the Vatican,and why he liked Tuesdays..

You can find more about this book at http://www.jp2books.com/

message 8: by R. Thomas (last edited May 22, 2011 01:16AM) (new)

R. Thomas Richard | 33 comments OK, excuse me but I can't keep quiet about my own book in a discussion about retreat reading. I hope this is not against a rule to mention one's own work - but who would ever write a book on prayer unless he did so to help people pray?

This book, The Ordinary Path to Holiness (paperback) or The Ordinary Path to Holiness (e-reader for Kindle or Nook) describes and explains our traditional Catholic spirituality - how we grow and develop and mature in the life of prayer. It presents "the roadmap" in a sense of the whole spiritual life of sanctification, from conversion to true holiness.

I've led many retreats on the theme of the book, and I believe that it has indeed been helpful - even just to discover, for so many, what so many never heard of before! I know I was a Catholic for many years - many - before I ever heard of the three stages of the interior life, and of how God draws us by grace upon grace to the holiness of His perfect intention for us. My response was to write it all down, especially for laity, because we need to know this on the journey we are all called to walk.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

maybe read Story of a Soul for daytime meditation, and Dark Night for nighttime meditation?