Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > would you check out people from Toronto's human library? Would you let yourself be checked out?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think we touched on something similar to this a million years ago, but it came up recently again and was on my mind. The Toronto (and I think this has been done in other places, too) allow patrons to check out "human books" for thirty minute conversations. The human books included cops, teachers, retirees, the homeless, etc. Read below:

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/hu...

On Nov. 6, 2010, over 200 Torontonians checked out a "human book" from Toronto Public Library's inaugural Human Library collection.

The one-day pilot event was held at Toronto Reference Library, North York Central Library, Bloor Gladstone Branch, Lillian H. Smith Branch and Malvern Branch.

The library's 60 "human books" came from all walks of life. They spoke about a wide range of life experiences - from living in poverty or living with a disability, to immigrating to Canada, to serving in war, and much more.

Borrowers came from a variety of backgrounds and a broad age range.

The Human Library supported the Library's strategic objective to engage diverse audiences and increase access to information in innovative ways.

The pilot event was a success and the library is now considering building on the collection for next year. So stay tuned!

Would you check someone out? Who (not in a famous celebrity way, just a normal person)? Would you allow yourself to be checked out?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i check people out every day, sometimes even while in the library.

message 3: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I’m naturally curious about all sorts of people from all walks of life- I frequently have to stop myself from asking people questions about themselves, I practically ‘interview’ people that interest me, if they’ll allow it. This would be great for me. I’d be encouraged to ask questions and not feel like I was being invasive and rude.

As for myself being ‘checked out’. I’m not at all certain that it would be that interesting. I mean if people wanted to know about me, I certainly wouldn’t mind them asking questions. So I guess it’s a yes.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That's fascinating. I'll make my sisters do the next one so they can report back.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm pretty generic so there wouldn't be much interest in checking me out, but it would be fun checking someone else out. I like this program. It breaks down that wall between people that says someone else is scary or weird just because they're different.

message 6: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I would check people out, but I'm way too boring to be checked out. It would be very awkward.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24152 comments Mod
Very interesting idea. I might check someone out but I don't think I'd want to be checked out.

I really don't believe that anyone is too "generic" or "boring" to bear further investigation. I mean, how is that possible?

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "I really don't believe that anyone is too "generic" or "boring" to bear further investigation. I mean, how is that possible?

I suppose it's a self perception sort of thing. I don't see myself as being on the circulating human checkout shelf but as someone back in stacks.

message 9: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Michael wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I really don't believe that anyone is too "generic" or "boring" to bear further investigation. I mean, how is that possible?

I suppose it's a self perception sort of thing. I don't see myself as being on the circulating human checkout shelf but as someone back in stacks."

So you're restricted-access? :) I'd probably be somewhere in fiction.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.