You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > April nominations: fractured/rewritten/modernized fairy tale **NOW CLOSED**

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Time to start nominating books for April. I have chosen Robin's theme of fractured/rewritten/modernised fairy tale. Be interesting to see what nominations we get.

Feel free to suggest themes for future selections in the ongoing Theme thread here in the Nominations folder. I will pick from them each month and surprise you with my choice.

Please provide all of the following in a comment below:

-The title
-The author
-Brief description of the book

IF YOU DON'T PROVIDE ALL OF THE ABOVE YOUR NOMINATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED

**If you nominate a book it is assumed that you are willing to lead the discussion, which is easy and painless - we promise!**

One nomination per person please. Thank you!

You have seven days to nominate. Nominations will be accepted through 6 pm GMT, Thursday 17th of February.

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 13 comments Beastly by Alex Flinn
This is a modern version of Beauty and the Beast, in modern day New York City. And how a cruel boy learns from his curse.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 116 comments Jenny wrote: "Time to start nominating books for April. I have chosen Robin's theme of fractured/rewritten/modernised fairy tale. Be interesting to see what nominations we get.

Feel free to suggest themes for..."

Good category!! However I shan't be nominating this month!

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments Oooo - oooo! I've got one! The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Brothers Grimm meets Monty Python.

Little boy loses his mother to an illness, dad gets remarried and they have a baby. Boy feels left out, overlooked, forgotten - misses mom. In the meantime he has the ability to hear books. They talk to him. So he finds his way into a magical land populated with very familiar fairy tale characters who have had some personality adjustments. The world is scary, violent and he is on his own - unsure of who to trust. This is an adult story and one of my absolute favorites. I'm sure many of you have read it already. But for any who haven't this would be a fun one to read...

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Violet Eyes: A Retelling of the "Princess and the Pea"
Debbie Viguié

I have to copy the description (from Amazon) because I'll have to buy the book if we choose it. But that's a good thing, because it's been on my wishlist for a while.

"When a storm brings the dashing Prince Richard to her family's farm, Violet falls in love at first sight. Richard also gives Violet his heart, but he knows his marriage is destined to be an affair of state, not of passion. For the king and queen have devised a contest to determine who will win their son's hand in marriage.

To be reunited with her prince, Violet must compete against princesses from across the land. It will take all of her wits -- and a little help from an unexpected source -- if Violet is to demonstrate the depth of her character and become Richard's bride."

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin | 245 comments My theme suggestion was chosen?! I guess I should probably find a book to nominate. haha! Though some of the suggestions sound great already!

message 7: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) | 8 comments I really like the Beastly nomination

message 8: by Stacy (last edited Feb 18, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Stacy | 5 comments The Princess Bride* by William Goldman. As a boy, William Goldman loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. Here, he retells the story to include "all the good parts."

*changed my nomination from Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.