The Other Place - A Bartimaeus Trilogy Fan Group discussion

Role Play > Role Play How To

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) Alright, I really am very bad at this and have never given it a go before. However, I do know that some people are very into role playing, so all Bartimaeus Role play goes into this section.

I don't quite know how to get it started- would someone like to come up with a set of rules, or something like that? Would someone like to volunteer to be a mod for role play here?

message 2: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 64 comments Mod
i can do it. i asked if anyone wanted to start one before but i dont think anyone wanted.... does anyone else know how to roleplay?
also, someone on another group wrote a great roleplaying guide, so if someone wants i can post it...

message 3: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) That sounds great, and alright, I've made you a moderator. Have fun setting it up, if you want to o:

message 4: by Siareen (new)

message 5: by Siareen (new)

HOW TO RP

When it comes to RPing, there are many rules and disciplines.

Okay, not really, but some habits in RPing can help things run smoothly, or hinder its progression. Here's a little help for people who are new to RPing and a nice, little refresher for the veterans.

-Each post should be in third person. As in, someone should write "She walked away." Instead of "I walked away."

-People get really annoyed by bad grammer, spelling, punctuation, etc....So try to avoid that. If it helps, try writing the post on Microsoft word before putting it into the RP. Firefox Mozilla has spellcheck, I believe

-If you have something to say aside from the RP, put in double parentheses: (()). It keeps things organized. But with that being said, try not to stray away from the RP too much. Post it in the spam or chat topics instead.

-For the love of all things holy, DON'T GOD MODEL! Please, it's boring to have an all-powerful character who's perfect and amazing. Give them faults. Quirks. ANYTHING to make them interesting.

-Try not to make your character the center of attention constantly. Let other people have their moment to make their characters shine. Everyone will get their turn.

-Don't kill, maim, or RP another person's character without their permission. It's very rude and people don't appreciate it.

-Try to avoid one-liners.

- Don't forget to be creative and use your imagination- the best RolePlays come when they're imaginative.

Happy Roleplaying!

-RedPath (RP) and Rae (copyright goes to them)

message 6: by Siareen (new)

HOW TO MAKE A CHARACTER

A very important part of every RP is the character you use. For every awesome roleplay, there is almost always a group of amazing characters that make things fun.

This topic is here to teach about the 'do's and 'don't's in character making. Hopefully, this will help you create unique, believable, and just plain epic characters.

Normally, a character profile consists of the following:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Family:
Crush:
Other:

NAME

Your character's name is important, but doesn't have to be some mystical sounding thing (unless the topic of the RP calls for it). Simple names like 'Rose' or 'Jeffery' are perfectly acceptable. It's your choice, really. If you're very particular about names, there are a ton of naming sites that have the origin and meaning of any name you want.

This is a touchy subject. Really, the age of your character depends on the RP you're in. Some RPs can have age ranges from 5-69 yearsold (unless the maker of said RP has said otherwise). Then there are some RP (Highschool roleplays, for example) where the youngest and oldest characters are only a few years apart. Again, the age is your desiscion.

Male or female, usually.

APPEARANCE

Normally, when some people do this part of the character profiles, they post a picture/picture link. And most of the time it's anime. Most people are okay with this, but some RP makers tell their members to post only real pictures. Many peple (such as me) write a description instead. BE SPECIFIC. "Sparkling, light blue eyes that convey his/her emotions perfectly and often grow wide with excitement" gives me a better mental image than " pretty blue eyes".

PERSONALITY

This is honestly THE most important part of your character. It often kills me when people say this:

"TBA"- Tell us now!
"Like me" -I have no idea what your personality's like.
"Sweet, nice, caring, funny, great" -That's nice. Too nice. She needs flaws! And complete sentences!
"Cruel, nice, funny, and serious a lot" -Don't they contradict each other? Unless he has multiple personalities, which you really should mention.

Basically, tell us about their flaws, their redeeming qualities, quirks, anything about them that makes their personality! (And preferably with too many commas and sentence fragments).

FAMILY

Any family members they have/ influenced them greatly.

CRUSH

No, your character DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE A CRUSH. But sometimes a little romance in a roleplay is cool. But if they fall for each other, please let them get to know one another first.

OTHER

Anything else about your character that hasn't already been covered by any of the above. Pets, past history, likes, dislikes, what ever comes to mind.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it. I seriously do think that the characters make the RP and are just as important as the plot. Of course, in every RP, the standards change. But these are the basics.

Love,

RedPath and Rae (once again, copyright to them)

message 7: by Siareen (new)

ill open the RP and the Character topics when a few people have read this and decided they want to rp...

TheDigressiveApproach oh man I sooo wanna do this!!! ID

TheDigressiveApproach hey that's a new smiley

message 10: by Siareen (new)

lol.
have you ever roleplayed before?

TheDigressiveApproach nope
but I really want to...ID
sry couldnt help with the smiley

message 12: by Siareen (new)

lol ID
we could start a new rage!!!!!!
copyright to you of course!!!!
lol, it looks kinda like an eyemax thingy

TheDigressiveApproach yeah and people might not interpret it the right way
they might think it's ID! ID as in identity whatever it is.

TheDigressiveApproach HEY i JUST FIGURED OUT A NEW ONE!

;p
HAHHAHAHHA!!!!

TheDigressiveApproach and ;p is like the childish version and we can use ;P with a capital P for older people

TheDigressiveApproach ;P looks kinda deformed
that's why it should be reserved for oldies

TheDigressiveApproach ;l

that looks like it's chewing something
but only for this font

message 18: by Siareen (new)

lol. your feeling very creative today, arent you?

TheDigressiveApproach yeah
or maybe the homework's getting to my head and I'm going crazy

message 20: by Siareen (new)

that would make sense. lol ID

TheDigressiveApproach hehe

message 22: by Siareen (new)

cool!!!!

TheDigressiveApproach ditto!

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 4 comments What kind of Rp are we gonna do...like is there any storyboard or something?