Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Hero pursues heroine

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 15 comments Looking for a romance where the hero pursues the heroine.

Recently I have been coming across books where there is no element of anticipation. While the heroine is depicted as this demure, sensible, virginal paragon of innocence, the moments she claps eyes on the hero, she seems to all but jump on him. Phrases like 'Warmth spread throughout her entire body or heat suffused her body' (and these are lines from the very first time she meets him) make me balk.
These books are pretty much based on lust and I find that even the lovemaking scenes do not hold my attention. I am looking for books where even small gestures make your heart race, where you anticipate the response from both the hero and heroine. I am getting really sick of the heroines more or less desperate to shed their clothes. I need some emotional content in my romance novels.

If you have come across any that fit the bill, please oh please provide suggestions! Thanks!! :)

message 2: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Me too me too~ I wanna read something like this as well.

message 3: by Leea (new)

Leea I just read these 2 and i have to say they are both strong women who hold out for awhile... Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell Untouched by Anna Campbell

message 4: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) A majority of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books are man pursue's woman.

Particularly these...

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

But none of those are the first. It's a series, so you should start with this one. (this is more of a man wants woman, woman wants man immediately)

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

Each one is about a different member of a Brotherhood, but the main plot does progress through each book.

message 5: by Leea (new)

Leea wonderful suggestion Wendy! How could have forgotten about those wonderful BDB. yummy!!

message 6: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Hahaha, Outlander, Fever and BDB are my three favorite series. I could never forget them.

In them the heroine's are physically attracted to the Heroes, but they fight it. The men still have to pursue.

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 50 comments Yeah I don't care for it when the hero doesn't have to work for it very much. Love at first site is good if they're kept apart for a bit for some reason or antoher. But when the heroine basically throws herself at the hero immediately-I don't like. Have some self-respect would ya.

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Hahahahahahah~ But you have to admit, sometimes all you wanna do is throw yourself at 'em~ I hear what your saying~ I prefer a slow burn with one hell of 'moment'

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I think Lisa Kleypas has some good ones that fit the bill.

Again The Magic by Lisa Kleypas [image error]

message 10: by Sophie (last edited Feb 12, 2011 10:48PM) (new)

Sophie | 15 comments Mary your comment is quite funny...:)
Yes I have found that Lisa Kleypas writes along these lines... I really enjoyed her books like 'It happened one autumn' and 'scandal in spring'

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments two that come to mind

Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught
Stranger in My Arms by Lisa Kleypas

I just finished this LK and really enjoyed it.

message 12: by Leea (new)

Leea I just read When strangers marry and loved it. LK is my standby author when I need something great!

message 13: by BookCupid (new)

BookCupid I think most books are trying to show that girls should be the ones to decide (and thus, initiate) when they are ready to have sex.