Software Engineering discussion

Code Complete > Key Construction Decisions

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradrubin) | 264 comments Mod
Well, we are ALMOST to the point of the book (construction). This chapter has a nice summary of some selected programming languages. I think the most useful discussion is the one about where a project is on the technology wave, and how it affects where time will be spent in development, and the pros/cons of this decision. It concludes with a good checklist of "are we ready to start coding yet?" questions.

message 2: by Erik (new)

Erik | 165 comments I agree that I was expecting to get to the "Construction" chapters earlier. The first chapter was named "Welcome to Software Construction", so I'm surprised at how long it has taken to get through some non-construction topics.

I liked the Technology Wave idea too. I have experienced many different areas of that Wave, but never really identified it as such until reading this chapter. It also is a nice way to identify business market growth potential (versus mature markets) from a Software Engineering point of view too.

I found the "Language-Selection Quick Reference" table fairly accurate from my personal experiences.