The County Library discussion

New Books at the Library! > Librarians, Post Your Favorite New Books Here!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
We are always getting great new books, so feel free to post your favorites in this folder.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 32 comments I think fans of Twilight (Meyers) will really like this title,Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, it has that believable modern supernatural setting, the in-the-obsessed-girl's head dialogue, and it's a clean read. Truthfully, I'm going to have to wait a few years before I read twilight again, I read the first page and the whole story just rushes back into my head and I don't have to read any further. But this has a compeletly different plot and the girl has an attack not victim attitude that kept me guessing about what would happen next.Raised by Wolves

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 12, 2011 11:03AM) (new)

Thanks Tina!
Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie
I'm reading a good Twilight/Hunger Games read-alike myself, though I don't know if it needs any publicity since there are already 500+ holds on it. But I am enjoying it. It's got the whole dystopian setting going on, but there's also a tortured love triangle.

***Ugh- nevermind. Recommendation revoked! Guess I should have finished it before I posted it, huh?***

message 4: by Lahni (new)

Lahni I've heard great things about Matched but hadn't heard of Raised by Wolves. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Hello Everyone-

I'm the LDS fiction buyer for the SLCLS. Each month I'll be posting the new books I have on order so you can get on the wait list. New for February:

The List-Melanie Jacobson (looks like a fun romance)
Hazzardous Universe-juvie fiction by Kevin Wasden and Julie Wright
Abish: Mother of Faith-K.C Grant
Gifted-Karey White
Independence Rock-Debra Terry Hulet
Honeymoon Heist-Anna Jones Buttimore
Borrowed Light-Carla Kelly

Natalie

message 6: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Maw (mawbooks) | 8 comments Jennifer wrote: "Thanks Tina!
Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
I'm reading a good Twilight/Hunger Games read-alike myself, though I don't know if it needs any publicity since there are already 500+ holds on it. But I ..."

Oh no! What did you not like about it? I enjoyed it.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Natasha wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Thanks Tina!
Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
I'm reading a good Twilight/Hunger Games read-alike myself, though I don't know if it needs any publicity since there are already 500+ hol..."

I just didn't think the characters were very engaging, and I didn't feel like there was a lot of suspense or originality in it. That sounds pretty harsh, huh? I actually know quite a few people who really liked it. Maybe I just wanted it to be something it wasn't. Sorry!

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Hi-

Here are the new LDS Fiction books for March:

How Does Baptism Make Me Feel? -Juvenile Picture book by Michele Carnesecca
Einstein's Trunk-Adult Fiction by Jim Haberkorn
10 Days Until Forever-Juvenile Picture book by David Peterson
Guardians of the Hidden Scepter-Juvenile Fiction by Frank Cole (author of the Hashbrown Winters series)
The Tomb Builder-Adult Fiction by James Harrison

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Like to bake bread? Don't have much time? Check out Fast Breads by Elinor Klivans. I took this one home and made yeast-raised bread in about 1.5 hours. You'll need rapid rise yeast (also called instant yeast). Yummy bread really fast...
Fast Breads

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Did you know that you can sign up for emailed lists of new library books about your favorite topics?

You can sign up here:

http://www.supportlibrary.com/nl/br.c...

Natalie

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments New LDS Fiction Book-

I read "The List" by Melanie Jacobson over the weekend. Really cute, fun fluffy sort of romance. If you like LDS romances, this is one to check out. The List

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Here are the new LDS Fiction books for April. They are in the catalog and ready for orders:

Balance-JF by Jean Stringam (Part 2 of the Hoarder's series)
Wasatch Summer-JF by Anola Pickett
Sudden Peril-AF by Frank Richardson
Wings of Light-YF-Laura Bingham (author of Alvor)
The Third-AF by Abel Keogh
The Renewed Earth-AF by Chad Daybell (Book 5 in the Standing in Holy Places series)
River Whispers-AF by Kathi Oram Peterson -new murder mystery
Messiah-AF Historical by Toni Sorenson
Just Shy of Paradise-AF by Carol Thayne Warburton
Journey to Jerusalem-JF by Marianne Monson-Book 3 of the Enchanted Tunnels series
Wandering in the Wilderness-JF by Marianne Monson-Book 4 of the Enchanted Tunnels series
My First Book of the Latter Day Prophets-JT by Deanna Draper Buck
The Evolution of Thomas Hall-AF by Kieth Merill
Modern Fables-JP by Ted L. Gibbons

From Best Sellers:

Foggy With a Chance of Murder by G. G. Vandagriff (new)
Miracle of Freedom by Chris Stewart (new)

Shades of Gray by Rachel Ann Nunes (new)

Beyond Foo, Book 1 by Obert Skye (new)

Far Horizon by Stansfield (new) (Book Two in the Shadows of Brierley)

If I Should Die by Jennie Hansen (new)

Perfect Fit by Michelle Ashman Bell (new) (Book Three of the Butterfly Girls series

Natalie

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 2 comments Thanks, Natalie...this is great :)

message 14: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments Here are the new LDS Fiction books, ready for holds!

Perfect Token-AF Romance by Cathryn Tew

The Alias-AF Mystery by Mandi Slack

Daughter of Helaman-YF Historical by Misty Moncur

The Great Plan of Happiness-JNF by David Bowman

Ammon-AF Historical by H.B. Moore

The Testimony Glove-JNF by Kristen Oaks

Voice Across Time-AF Romance by Linda Todd Bush

Natalie

message 15: by Tina (last edited Apr 30, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 32 comments Fire on the Horizon The Untold Story of the Explosion Aboard the Deepwater Horizon by Tom Shroder I just finished what reviewers are calling the best book about the Gulf Oil Spill; and while I haven't personally read anything to compare it to, I really like it myself. Fire on the Horizon is about the people and decisions that lead to the accident itself, and those who were most directly effected when the fire met the sky for the first time. It was easy to read and the people were real to me without being dry.

message 16: by Natalie (last edited May 04, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Natalie | 9 comments New fun craft book at the library-Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton. Think Han Solo soap, a crocheted R2-D2 beanie and an AT-AT planter. Lots of fun things to make for a Star Wars fan. Star Wars Craft Book Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Natalie wrote: "New fun craft book at the library-Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton. Think Han Solo soap, a crocheted R2-D2 beanie and an AT-AT planter. Lots of fun things to make for a Star Wars fan. [book:..."

Sweet!

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 9 comments New LDS Fiction books for June:

Double Deceit-AF by Stephanie Humphreys

I Am Peter-AF Historical by Arnold S. Grundvig

The Adventures of Phillip Isaac Penn-JF by Donna Peterson

Flames of Redemption-YF? by Michelle Thompson

Perdition's Gateway-AF by Terrance Drake

The Hainan Incident-AF by DM Coffman

Montana Summer-AF Romance by Jeanette Miller

Velwythe-AF Fantasy? by Bonn Turkington

Natalie

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited May 31, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Natalie's new LDS posts have been so popular, we are making a new LDS books thread. Check it out here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments I just finished Entwined Entwined by Heather Dixon by Heather Dixon. It is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. It is just wonderful.

message 21: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Pyron | 4 comments I have an all-time new favorite dog story that's adult fiction! It's called A DOG'S PURPOSE and it's by W. Bruce Cameron. I can say enough good things about this book! If you liked THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN or MARLEY AND ME, this book is a must!

message 22: by Micah (new)

Micah | 16 comments How do we request the library purchase new books? I have been waiting FOREVER for one of my favorite authors, Helen DeWitt, to write another book (The Last Samurai was her first-highly recommend it) and she finally has (Lightning Rods) but I can't find it anywhere on the library website. Anyone know if the library is going to purchase it? Or do I (gulp) have to?

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 40 comments Micah wrote: "How do we request the library purchase new books? I have been waiting FOREVER for one of my favorite authors, Helen DeWitt, to write another book (The Last Samurai was her first-highly recommend it..."

Micah, if you go to the Library's homepage (www.slcolibrary.org) and click on "info and contact" on the menu bar, then look under "services", at the bottom of that list is "request a purchase". Fill out that form to get the message to the buyers of that particular genre that you would like the library to pick it up.

message 24: by Micah (new)

Micah | 16 comments Stephanie wrote: "Micah wrote: "How do we request the library purchase new books? I have been waiting FOREVER for one of my favorite authors, Helen DeWitt, to write another book (The Last Samurai was her first-highl..."

Thanks so much!

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 33 comments If you haven't seen the book "Beep and Bah" by James Burks, you are in for laugh. This picture book is fun for kids, but adults will get a laugh out of the great illustrations and funny story. (From Susan, who was reading it with other librarians after closing last night, and being FAR too noisy because we were laughting out loud!)

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 33 comments I just finished "A Curse as Dark as Gold" and enjoyed it. If you like quasi fairy tales, you may like it as well.

message 27: by Kate Hastings (new)

Kate Hastings Susan wrote: "If you haven't seen the book "Beep and Bah" by James Burks, you are in for laugh. This picture book is fun for kids, but adults will get a laugh out of the great illustrations and funny story. (Fro..."

"like"

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 14 comments I just finished the new Jodi Picoult book "Raised by Wolves" it was a great thought provoking read.

message 29: by Christa (new)

Christa | 1 comments Our book group is reading Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. She also wrote the Hunger Games but you can't find any of those checked in so we went with her other work. Great book and series!

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments I recently read Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1) by Ella Barrick by Ella Barrick. It is the first in a new cozy mystery series about a dance teacher who is also a competitive ballroom dancer. It was very entertaining.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarcare) | 1 comments I just read the new Suzanne Brockmann, Born to Darkness, Born to Darkness (Fighting Destiny, #1) which I really enjoyed. Unlike most of her other work, this is paranormal, sort of like X-Men, sort of similar to Christine Feehan's Game series, or even a little like the Black Dagger Brother series (with fewer alpha men). Similar to Brockmann's other series, the hero is a Navy SEAL, and there is a strong secondary storyline about a M/M couple. One thing I particularly enjoyed about this story is the heroine's strength, she is no wilting flower!

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 33 comments Am reading Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George. Love her stuff! This is a continuation of her alternate fairy tales that began with Princess of the Midnight Ball.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 33 comments I just saw a new book from DK called "A Street Through Time" (illustrated by Steve noon) and wanted to call it to the attention of parents who want great non-fiction for their older children. Page by page it explores a spot of land and each new group of people who live on it. Watch the rise and fall of each society. Lots to learn through look and find challenges and kids could spend hours just studying the pictures.

message 34: by Kira (last edited Sep 11, 2013 10:01AM) (new)

Kira (kiramoody) | 17 comments Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones. This fun book is about a grim reaper who is also a private investigator. When she's not trying to ward of the Son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, she's usually trying to solve a murder mystery with the help of her Uncle Bob and her sidekick/assistant Cookie without getting killed.

message 35: by Kira (new)

Kira (kiramoody) | 17 comments Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson is a great new book that's on the Reader's Choice list this time. Great characters, fun plot. The main character, Ethan Kaille, is a spell conjurer living in Boston on the eve of the American Revolution. When he gets hired to find the broach of a murdered girl, he finds himself deep at odds with a powerful spell conjurer willing to do anything to keep his secret.