Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > March Read: Women's Month

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments In honor of National Woman's History Month the theme will be from a female author. I'm starting the suggestions with The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments When Darkness Loves Us by Elizabeth Engstrom. This is more dark fiction than full-blown horror. It's also a novella but it's amazing.

Small World by Tabitha King. She's a great little writer herself, and this book is creepy.

Gonna have to comb through my books for some more suggestions. God, what is the percentage of female horror writers to men? Thirty-percent?

message 3: by Lee (last edited Feb 09, 2011 07:27PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Some old school, some cheesy 80's or so...
I've found ( there are exceptions), female horror are more like thrillers.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/l... Thinking "Vampire Winter"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/l... This is funny, not listed is "Sandman" which I have.

The Bogeyman 80's cheese...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/k... Wife of the late, Charles L Grant

Haunted

Bad Things

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/m...

The Killing Gift

The Basement Hard to find...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/p... Not her mystery series....the stand alone's.

Shirley Jackson...

Jason,

I did like The House Next Door

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle is brilliant.

message 5: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I'd like to nominate Sarah Pinborough

Tower Hill
The Hidden

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Tressa wrote: "Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle is brilliant."

I was going to suggest that one too.

message 7: by Iamthez (new)

Iamthez | 23 comments Tressa wrote: "When Darkness Loves Us by Elizabeth Engstrom. This is more dark fiction than full-blown horror. It's also a novella but it's amazing.

Small World by Tabitha King. She'..."

Holy geez, someone else knows When Darkness Loves Us! Now that's a creepy read ... I still can't read the second story again, it just messes me up too bad when I think about it.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Iamthez wrote: "Tressa wrote: "When Darkness Loves Us by Elizabeth Engstrom. This is more dark fiction than full-blown horror. It's also a novella but it's amazing.

Small World by T..."

Happy to say yes, I do know it and it would be fun to read and discuss. But, like I said, it's not horror but dark fiction. No monsters in it. Second story is disturbing, and, again, no monsters.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Doesn't have to be horror....does it?

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Horror or dark fiction.

message 11: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I'm shooting for Shirley Jackon's We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I haven't been getting any broadcast to vote. Am I supposed to? I know Fantasy Aficionados always send a voting ping.

message 12: by Tressa (last edited Feb 11, 2011 06:19PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Aloha, Jason will take suggestions and then compile the poll. That's when you'll get a notice. When I'm leading a discussion I don't send out notices to every member. I find that what happens is that lurkers vote but never join the discussion. The people interested in the group read are already here, or will come back by here to click on the poll link. But American and Canadian Jasons can run their polls any way they prefer.

I'd love for Jackson's Castle to win. Love that book and would love to discuss it with my HA friends. I read it last year with my Novel Ideas ladies and we had a great discussion.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like Shirley Jackson but I've never read We Have Always Lived in the Castle. It sounds excellent! I know what I'll be voting for.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Good, Donegal. I read it back in the '80s and thought it was good, but this time around I really got into the dark story.

message 15: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Can I put myself on the PM list for voting? Thanks!

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Aloha wrote: "Can I put myself on the PM list for voting? Thanks!"

I'll send a message out to every member early next week with an invitation to vote. I can make sure you get a PM if you want me to Aloha.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I'll be voting for Shirley Jackson!

message 18: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I was so intrigued by your posts I down loaded We Have Always Lived in the Castle and started it today. Couldn't wait ! Guess you'll now know who I'll vote for.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I'd like to nominate Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Uh oh. Hope you like it, Eileen. I'm hot under the collar just thinking about the pressure.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Tressa wrote: "When Darkness Loves Us by Elizabeth Engstrom. This is more dark fiction than full-blown horror. It's also a novella but it's amazing.

Small World by Tabitha King. She'..."

I have Small World and haven't read it yet so that'd be great for me :)

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lee wrote: "Some old school, some cheesy 80's or so...
I've found ( there are exceptions), female horror are more like thrillers.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/l... Thinking "Vampire Winter"

ht..."

Bad Things and The House Next Door are both awesome :)

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments There are lots of good suggestions here.

message 24: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 531 comments i'd like to suggest

The Reckoning by sarah pinborough

or

The Keeper by sarah langan

message 25: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments I'll suggest MISTRESS OF THE DARK by oh man, please don't crucify me, I'm in a hurry- Sephera Giron, i think im right.

message 26: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments mark, i picked up the reckoning for you yesterday, those other ones i couldnt find, green eyes, ive been wanting to get for a while now

message 27: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments anyone liking female horror writers, check out sephera giron or as mark mentioned sarah pinborough, these women actually write horror, balls-to-the-wall horror, and they are both great at what they do.

message 28: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments and I also am ready for WHALITC, I looooved Shirley Jackson's Haunting, so I can't wait to read Castle, It sounds very interesting and creepy.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I think I like Jackson's WHALITCastle better than THOHHouse.

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I've met Sephera quite a few times. She's awesome in real life, too!

message 31: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 531 comments Bryan wrote: "mark, i picked up the reckoning for you yesterday, those other ones i couldnt find, green eyes, ive been wanting to get for a while now"

thanks bryan, looking forward to it!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I second The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Poll is now open!

message 34: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Thanks! I just voted.

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tressa wrote: "Uh oh. Hope you like it, Eileen. I'm hot under the collar just thinking about the pressure."

I'm halfway into We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Not at all what I expected. Well written and the characters are very interesting. Don't want to give anything away.

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's...different, Eileen.

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Yes it is. Can't wait to see where it's headed.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hope you write a review; can't wait to read what you think.

message 39: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i found 'the house next door' by ann river siddons at my local used book store in liverpool, pretty excited.. A little off topic, but has anyone ever read 'PIN' by Andrew Neiderman, it looks fantastic and disturbing, and I am definitely going to go buy a copy or special order it.

message 40: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tressa wrote: "Hope you write a review; can't wait to read what you think."

I will, probably finish the book tonight.

message 41: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 32 comments Eileen wrote: "I was so intrigued by your posts I down loaded We Have Always Lived in the Castle and started it today. Couldn't wait ! Guess you'll now know who I'll vote for."

I checked a copy out at the library today :)

message 42: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 165 comments I have been slacking off with this group. :(

School has kept me busy, but I will participate in March's discussion because I LOVE Jackson and We Have Always Lived in the Castle is my favorite novel of hers and that is saying something.

I even managed to write a paper for school on it. :D

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Whoa. Looking forward to discussing Castle with a scholarly expert. :-)

message 44: by Oscar (last edited Feb 23, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Oscar | 165 comments Tressa wrote: "Whoa. Looking forward to discussing Castle with a scholarly expert. :-)"

I am a scholarly type, but I don't know about expert. ;)

Jackson's work can just be interpreted and approached in so many ways. Should be a fun discussion. :)

message 45: by Scott (new)

Scott I approach it with a stealthy crawl and squinty eyes.

This approach may not work for everyone.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments So you'll be joining us, Scott?

message 47: by Scott (new)

Scott Well, I can't beat you.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You could, but you would die.

message 49: by Scott (new)

Scott I'll keep my options open.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've missed you. Glad you're back. :-)

« previous 1