What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Sign of the Beaver
This topic is about The Sign of the Beaver
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED: YA: boy prepares food stores for cabin in the woods and waits for family to join him [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Feb 09, 2011 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Danielle (queentess) | 9 comments I read this book in the 5th grade as required reading around 1991. It's a YA book and I believe it was an award winner of some sort, published at least 10 years prior to 1991.

There's a boy whose mother is pregnant and can't travel, so he's sent ahead of the family to a cabin in the woods to prepare it for winter, building up food stores and the like. (I don't recall if the cabin was already built or if he had to build it himself.) He grew a garden and hung bunches of vegetables about the cabin to dry. He ran into problems (possibly near death during a hunting accident?) and was helped by a local Indian/Native American tribe.

I believe he learned to trap and how to better grow food from the tribe. At the end of the book his parents and newborn sibling showed up when it was really snowy outside (might have been summer, but I think the mother and baby were riding a sled), and they were really impressed by his new skills and the way he had so thoroughly prepared the cabin.

Danielle (queentess) | 9 comments ...nevermind! I've been trying to remember this title for several months now, and as soon as I post for help it triggered the word "Beaver" in my mind, which lead me to the answer: Sign of the Beaver!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 48 comments Thank goodness you did that...I did the exact thing a month or so ago...now I'm not alone! ::grin::

Danielle (queentess) | 9 comments I seriously debated about whether or not to delete the thread... but maybe it'll help someone else someday?

Glad I'm not the only one! :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Danielle, and Beth, Always feel free to leave threads such as this. Hopefully, they will help other members at some point. It's not unusual for multiple members to be searching for the same book, and not usually simultaneously.