Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Have you heard of these books? Are they good?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments I'm not exactly sure if this falls under this category, but these books sounded good to me, and now I just need a second, third, fourth fifth (you get the idea) opinion! lol

Torn to Pieces by Margot McDonnell The Missing Girl by Norma Fox Mazer Breathe My Name by R.A. Nelson

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Shucks - I have not read any of them!

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Never heard of them

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments Well, hm, does the summary sound good? Even if you haven't read them..

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Breath My Name looks interesting Amanda. I am kind of a book snob, so it a book gets less than a 3.5 star average on here I normally won't read it, (unless someone begs me to), so that would mean I would skip The Missing Girl, because it was under the 3.5 stars. I am sorry I can't be more help!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments Hahaha! Ah, it's alright, hopefully, someone else has read them, or at least heard of them.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) One of my GR friends has read Breath My Name and gave it 4 stars, so that helps too :)

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments lol yeah it does. At least someone liked it lol

message 9: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) You're better then me, Heidi, lmao. I am loathe to dip below 4.00.

message 10: by Tracy (last edited Feb 09, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

Tracy | 14 comments I just bought Breathe My Name....I'll let you know when I read it. I heard it was amazing despite the reviews on here so I thought I'd try it. I sure hope it's good.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I don't judge a book by its ratings because I have read to many books that everyone raves about *coughs* Twilight*coughs* and didn't like them so if I think it sounds good I give it a try and make my own opinion..lol :)

message 12: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Though I was surprised by the Goodread Twilight ratings. They were pretty low.

None of them hit 4.00, lol.

message 13: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments I've read Breathe My Name by R.A. Nelson and thought it was pretty good. Worth the read anyway:-)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Wendy F wrote: "You're better then me, Heidi, lmao. I am loathe to dip below 4.00."

Well...if I am being honest I don't even like to read books that aren't at least rated 4.25 stars on here. My only exception is my cozy mysteries, because they are all fluff and most of them are rated in the 3 to 4 star range. For YA books they need to be at least 4.25 stars. p.s. Don't even get me started on Twilight people!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments Lol thanks guys!

And thanks Tracy!

message 16: by Wendy F (last edited Feb 09, 2011 07:25PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) hahahaha! I was wondering if you'd weigh in on Twilight.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments Wendy F wrote: "hahahaha! I was wondering if you'd way in on Twilight."

Lol wait, what?

message 18: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm sorry, that was in response to HeidiI, above.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Biting my tongue here. Ouch! It hurts.

message 20: by Book (new)

Book (bloodwitch) | 90 comments I usually disagree with most YA's that are in the 4's, and like more that are in the 3's

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments I really don't care about the ratings, if the summary sounds good I'll read it...

I just wanted a few second opinions..

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Sorry Amanda! Didn't mean to cloud up your question! Please give us updates if you read any of them :)

message 23: by Tintin (last edited Feb 10, 2011 08:13AM) (new)

Tintin (marimorimo) | 40 comments Heidi I wrote: "Well...if I am being honest I don't even like to read books that aren't at least rated 4.25 stars on here. My only exception is my cozy mysteries, because they are all fluff and most of them are rated in the 3 to 4 star range. For YA books they need to be at least 4.25 stars."

Isn't a 4.25 rating on goodreads too tough? I find that most books with extremely high ratings here are the uber-popular ones regardless of quality (read: the books with the most number of diehard fans that can't give less than a 5 rating). So I actually get suspicious of those. Plus there are those that knock off points from books just because they're chick-lit or YA, for example. I think that's ridiculous. It's like making a violinist play a saxophone and judging him badly for it. I think books should be judged on their own merit, not based on some predetermined mold.

message 24: by Wendy F (last edited Feb 10, 2011 08:26AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm positive that I'm missing out on great books that are below the 4.0 rating. My favorite book of all time is on a high 3.8ish rating here on Goodreads.

Still, I find that the books I get recommended that are in a 4.0 or higher rating tend to be great (a couple exceptions) and they are books I've never heard of, whereas books that are super popular (like Twilight, Fallen, Hush Hush) tend to have a mid 3.0 rating. And those are ones I read and felt like I wasted my time with a bit.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Hey...I was trying to get back on track Tintin! Everyone has their own system, and my system is what it is. I also rarely watch a movie unless it is a "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That's just how I roll :)

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments I don't see the point of the rating thing..
It's kind of taking away from what the book has to offer.
What one person thinks and rates the book, could be completely different, but they won't get a chance to find that out, because they're basing their judgement of the book by someone elses ratings and not their own.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I'm all about averages, not just one rating. I also take time and read people's review to see their thoughts. Like I said, everyone has their own way of doing things. No one way is better than another.

message 28: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Well I judge by the mass rating, so it's based off everyone who's given it stars. Sometimes it doesn't work, but most of the time it does. I'm finding it is easier for me then judging off the back synopsis because that doesn't tell me what other plain jane readers think of it. A synopsis can be great on a bad book, and it can be bad on an amazing book. I'd rather read the synopsis and look at the rating to get an idea.

Again, I know this isn't flawless. Outlander only has a 3.92 rating, Clan of the Cave Bear only has a 3.82 rating... so I'm sure I'm missing out on a few other diamonds. But still, so far going by this method I've had more hits then misses.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I do think its interesting to see what people thought of something but if I want to read it I usually go ahead and read it.

Heidi, if I went buy what rotten tomatoes rated movies I would have missed out on a lot of great movies..lol Though still like to see what people think is good vs not good.. :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I am a movie snob. What can I say!

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (bookaddict_92) | 37 comments The meaning for this post is for opinions on these three books, from people who have read them, or just think they sound good or not.
I honestly don't care about the ratings, nor am I concerned about them.

message 32: by Book (last edited Feb 21, 2011 09:38PM) (new)

Book (bloodwitch) | 90 comments I look at the ratings but rarely acknowledge unless it's well under 3

and I haven't read those books (not my type of reading) sorry