Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Dystopian Books > Brave New World

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments Mod
So far I have to say a very strange book,I'm only on page 26 so I'll reserve judgment for awhile.
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't heard of this one, you'll have to let me know what you think when you're done.

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Okay this one was just plan weird, in this society everyone is born into their place. Also there is no mothers and fathers (which in fact are dirty words)but we are all born out of tubes. And everyone is kept happy by soma, a drug that it turns out will slowly kill you.

This is a depressing book, nothing changes and (spoiler!) the one main characters comments suicide at the end.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh that's depressing...alright so I don't need to read this one then.

message 5: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (juliloosle) | 20 comments Sad. That sounds like a really weird book.

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

I don't recommend it, for a similar feel but a better book, read Giver.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Reyes (dadrocant) | 9 comments When reading this book you have to take into account the time it was written in and why the choices made by Huxley for his setting. Some of the things seen in this novel are not too far off from what worries us today; take Soma for example, I wrote an article for a medical journal on the similarities between Soma and today's anti-depressants and hallucinogenic drugs, and trust me they're not that far away from each other. The focus of life on entertainment and consumption of mass produced items is also something we can see in our world today, and Huxley wrote it in 1931, and provides us with fair warning even today of what can befall our society if we don't make some adjustments in our attitudes towards certain aspects of modernity.

message 8: by Caitlin (last edited Feb 15, 2011 01:28PM) (new)

Daniel, I did try to keep the time it was written in mind, and I agree it is creepy how close this is to our reality. But it was just not my taste.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Reyes (dadrocant) | 9 comments Caitlin, I didn't say you had to like it, it was just some general advice to everyone who wants to read it. I loved it, but that doesn't mean everyone has to do so as well; in fact I tend to hate many of the books on the NY Times Best Seller's list.

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahahn) | 1 comments Did you notice how the characters exclaim "Ford!" when they're surprised or scared? I just realized that Huxley was referring to the then-new idea of assembly line manufacturing that their society is built around.

message 11: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Hobbes (vincenthobbes) | 8 comments One of my favorite dystopian novels

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 9 comments Daniel wrote: "When reading this book you have to take into account the time it was written in and why the choices made by Huxley for his setting. Some of the things seen in this novel are not too far off from wh..."

Exactly the way I feel about this one. One of my favorites indeed.

message 13: by uh8myzen (new)

uh8myzen | 3 comments Daniel wrote: "When reading this book you have to take into account the time it was written in and why the choices made by Huxley for his setting. Some of the things seen in this novel are not too ...

You are so right.

This is a classic of dystopian literature, and almost all of the dystopian texts written today owe a great debt to Brave New World and infact, many pay homage to it.

As much as I love Dystopian fiction (and write it), I find that much of what is written today is just a rehashing of what Huxley, Atwood, Orwell, Wells have already done years ago. The only difference is the changing of technologies that give the newer books an authenticity to younger generations.

I read Brave New World, 1984 and Handsmaid Tale when I was in highschool, when nobody had a computer and UNIX and DOS where the best things going. Back then, only "geeks" had or used computers and there was no such thing as the internet, genome projects, artificial intelligence and so on.

If you read those books from that perspective, they are a helluva a lot more powerful. But their real strength comes frm the fact that even though they were written before such things were even conceived, they are still relevant and their themes still current because they were such visionary novels.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (station451) BNW is one of my husband's favorite sci-fi novels. I love that it's a quick, easy read that's packed with details and emotion. Huxley was a really great author. Its not really one of my favorites, but if you consider yourself a student of dystopias then it's a must-read.

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 9 comments I've seen some people post about Brave New World on these forums so I would suggest that for those who loved it to try Huxley's counter point novel The Island. It's utopia instead of dystopia but I personally liked it just as well.

message 16: by Bryony (new)

Bryony Smith (msbry) | 8 comments This is probably one of the best books ever written and should be required reading for everyone. The reason the book is still so good is that the themes are still relevant. We are still having the same discussions about science and progress and humanity. They are discussions that have been happening for centuries and will continue to happen. It is short book packed with ideas and characters that make you think long after you put it down. Something that I have found is missing in so many books written today.

Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Brave New World (other topics)