Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > JRC's 50 for 2011

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 8. Known Dead A Novel by Donald Harstad

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 9. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
Read this for a book discussion group. It is very good -- I think See does an excellent job describing life for the Chinese immigrants.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 10. The Last Musketeer

I don't ususally read graphic novels, but this won was highlighted in Unshelved, a comic I get via email. It's by a Norwegian -- and since I'm Norwegian too, I thought I should take a look. It was fun!

Athos saves France from Mars attacks!!

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 11. Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith

I'm playing Book Bingo at my Library. I was supposed to read a book published the year I was born. This is a Newberry Award winner, so I knew it would be good. Tells the story of a young Union army soldier from Kansas. Jeff becomes a scout and ends up fighting with the Rebs. As he becomes friends with the 'enemy' his perspective on the war changes.

I thought the battle scenes were very well written. When he first enlists, Jeff can hardly wait to see some action. After the first battle, war is no longer a lark.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Book Bingo? How does that work?

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments The Reference Librarian made up bingo cards. In each square, there is a certain genre or type of book that you have to read. When complete five in a row -- you get Bingo! The center square is 'free'. Some examples are: Children's book; True Crime; any award winner; poetry book; historical romance; Oprah pick. The idea was to encourage people to try reading something they don't usally read. It's fun!

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Sounds fun! I'll have to slip this one to my librarians.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments Jane wrote: "11. Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith

I'm playing Book Bingo at my Library. I was supposed to read a book published the year I was born. This is a Newberry Award winner, so I knew it would b..."

My library did Book Bingo last summer, it was losts of fun. (And Rifles for Waite was a favorite book of mine when I was young. I should re-read it.)

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments I love this book bingo idea! I'm a member of the advisory board for our local Friends of the Library branch, and we're looking for something fun that adults can do for summer reading. Book bingo is a valuable tip!

Rose

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 12. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 13. A Face in the Window by Sarah Graves (audiobook)

14. I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson I think I love you by Allison Pearson.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 15. The Paris Wife
This was excellent tho' sad.

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 16. I Still Dream About You

Audiobook read by the author, Fannie Flagg. Great characters, made me laugh!

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 18. Navajos Wear Nikes: A Reservation Life by Jim Kristofic.

I read a review of this and thought it sounded interesting. It did not disappoint! I enjoy the Tony HIllerman novels about the Navajo and the Four Corners area and wanted to learn more about the culture. This biography gives a good picture of life on the Rez. The author moved to the Reservation with his family when he was in 2nd grade. It was quite an adjustment for a white family from Pittsburgh! He learned the lessons of the Dine and became a "tough noodle."

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 20. Cold Wind by C.J. Box Cold Wind by C.J. Box

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 21. Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult Jodi Picoult

Another good one!

message 21: by Jane (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:51AM) (new)

Jane | 99 comments 23. A Walk For Sunshine A 2,160 mile expedition for charity on the Appalachian Trail, 2nd by Jeff Alt By Jeff Alt
24. All Mortal Flesh by Julia Spencer-Fleming
25. The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew
27. I Shall Not Want by Julia Spencer-Fleming
28. Bold Spirit: Helga Estby's Forgotten Walk Across Victorian America by Linda Lawrence Hunt
29. One Was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming

message 22: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 30. The Bricklayer The Bricklayer by Noah Boyd by Noah Boyd.

message 23: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 31. Live Wire Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10) by Harlan Coben by Harlan Coben

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 32. Nowhere to Run Nowhere to Run (Joe Pickett #10) by C.J. Box by C.J. Box

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 33. Agent X Agent X by Noah Boyd by Noah Boyd.

My new favorite handyman!

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 34. Alice's Tulips Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas by Sandra Dallas

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 35. Knockdown Knockdown (Home Repair is Homicide, #14) by Sarah Graves by Sarah Graves.

Love that these are set in Eastport, Maine!

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 36. Sweethearts Sweethearts by Sara Zarr by Sara Zarr.

The author captures what it feels like to be the outcast in elementary school. All's well by the end!

message 29: by Jane (last edited Jul 02, 2011 10:57AM) (new)

Jane | 99 comments 37. Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts. Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

message 30: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 38. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
39. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

****LOVE these books -- this is the 3rd time for each and I will read Mockingjay next month. I am leading a book discussion on theme.

40. Half Broke Horses by Jeanneatte Walls. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 41. Sixkill by Robert B. Parker Sixkill (Spenser #40) by Robert B. Parker

I am sad that Mr. Parker is no longer with us.

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 42. A Game of Thrones A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin by George R.R. Martin

I had to see what all the fuss was about. My son has read the whole series a number of times and raved about it. So, I finally bit the bullet. WOW -- George R.R. Martin really took me out of this world and put me smack-dab in the middle of his. I loved the characters and the attention to detail. I didn't want it to come to an end!

I haven't totally disappeared like that since the first time I read the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Looking forward to the second in the series!

message 33: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 43. Trespasser Trespasser by Paul Doiron by Paul Doiron

message 34: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 44. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
45. Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich
Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich
46. Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 47. Loving Frank by Nancy Horan Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

message 36: by Jane (last edited Oct 03, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Jane | 99 comments 48. The Way Life Should Be The Way Life Should Be by Christina Baker Kline by Christina Baker Kline

message 37: by Jane (last edited Oct 03, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Jane | 99 comments 49. The Tag Man by Archer Mayor Archer Mayor

message 38: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments 50!!!
The Cleveland Creep The Cleveland Creep (Milan Jacovich, #15) by Les Roberts by Les Roberts