The Vampire Diaries discussion

Novels > LJ Smith Fired??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Graziella (grazia) | 1453 comments Mod
Apparently, she has been fired from writing the new series the Hunters.

message 2: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

This is badnews for Delena fans....:(

I got this from spoiler tv .com by the way.

She signed a book package deal when she began writing the series. So, since the beginning, Harper has technically owned the rights to The Vampire Diaries... LJ was just a "for hire" writer that they tapped to flesh out the idea that they had about two brothers being in love with the same girl. LJ took that idea, made it her own, and wrote The Vampire Diaries. She sold her idea to the book publishers-- no matter how unfair that is (and believe me, I am outraged on her behalf)-- it ultimately wasn't up to her how the story went, as she owned none of it. The publishers didn't like what she did with their series, and she was fired.

HarperCollins didn't like where LJ was going with Damon/Elena and Stefan/Elena (and even some Damon/Bonnie) at the same time, so to speak, as they strictly wanted Elena to be tempted by Damon, but ultimately the desired endgame (according to the publishers) was Stefan/Elena. LJ got fired because she didn't feel that that was right-- she wanted to explore both relationships, Stefan/Elena AND Damon/Elena, as well as Damon's relationship with Bonnie. Ultimately it was those last two that got her booted from the series.

Source: http://community.livejournal.c... (two fans had written LJ and this is essentially a summation of the response they received from her)

Taken from: SpoilerTV http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/02/vamp...

message 3: by Andrhea Paltao (new)

Andrhea Paltao | 177 comments Really?? that's saaad. :(( What will the Harper's going to do with the rest of story? Will she dropped writing the continuation of the book??

message 4: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Yeah she has stopped writing on phantom....she said some of phantom will be her writing but the rest will be a new author. So the new author will take over the rest.

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 113 comments OK, that's really really weird...

ⓘsⓐbεℓℓⓐ  | 175 comments Mod
THAT IS NOT RIGHT! I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS! They're doing that to schools too! My school use to have passionate teachers who were funny and free to do whatever they want but the company who owns my school is now being uptight! They tried to restain my old teachers and make them do what the school's board wanted them to do but my old teachers didn't like that. People should do what they love with passion. Do it their own way. Now teachers sound bored and get mad when students don't do what they ask the first time. It's what they signed up for.

LJ Smith made harper's idea waaaay better! She made it conflicting and made the characters reliable! People do have those love issues.

message 7: by Book Sushi (new)

Book Sushi (BookSushi) i loved the Vampire Diaries books, but they really started losing the plot and scrambling for a foot hold when they started The Return books. should have just left it the way it was. dont involve stupid fox spirits and bushes that capture them.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Reenz wrote: "i loved the Vampire Diaries books, but they really started losing the plot and scrambling for a foot hold when they started The Return books. should have just left it the way it was. dont involve s..."

Exactly.

message 9: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Unfortunately Reenz and Veronica...harpercollins only thinks about dollar signs...it is a business after all. :(

like all of north america....>< well I should say the world but it depends..it seems north america is money hungry all the time. :((

message 10: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

ⓘsⓐbεℓℓⓐ wrote: "THAT IS NOT RIGHT! I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS! They're doing that to schools too! My school use to have passionate teachers who were funny and free to do whatever they want but the company who owns m..."

It is kind of depressing to know that when you sign a contract you have to do it how they want it. Nevermind, what the fans think...

I believe you Isabella, I think that has happened here too if i can remember...correctly.

message 11: by Andrhea Paltao (new)

Andrhea Paltao | 177 comments No way! LJ is a good writer. I can't imagine someone would take over her writing. :(( I don't want anyone to write the series. :((

message 12: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

:( I know....I hate to see what the new writer has in store for the series.

message 13: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

if they were going to do that...they might as not have continued the series.

For one thing why didn't the publishers stop printing out the books? The plot has gotten in too deep! Why stop mid feild? And why did they ask her to change it soo late in the game? Because she did more with their plot than they could imagine. I mean, look at the responce! The whole love triangles with stefan-ellena-damon and damon-ellena-bonnie was a huge hit! If the publishers want money than they have that much because of her idea!

message 15: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

See that is where it is confusing. lol

I don't get it either. It would have been easier to say oh we don't like this direction change it please. But I don't know why they don't like what she has done either. It has made the series huge.

message 16: by Andrhea Paltao (new)

Andrhea Paltao | 177 comments Yeah. The series is better than Twilight Saga!! I can't believe they're firing LJ because of the plan she had for the love triangle of the three main characters. I'm sure LJ has a lot of good plans for the three of them. I still don't want them to fire LJ and find another author to continue her work cause her work is so fabulous and everyone loves it. I can't see any reason for them to fire her.

message 17: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Elena was supposed to be TEMPTED by Damon...that is what she is doing right? I think she was on the same page but maybe they were thinking of a different way of being Tempted by damon...?? who knows.

I don't know how this will work without LJ smith writing the story. Maybe it will be a good story still? who knows...now they will delay the release of the books most likely...unless they already found the author to replace her.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you know who the writer that will replace her is?

Whoever it is we know he or she will be the Harper Company's pet.

message 20: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (last edited Feb 14, 2011 07:11AM) (new)

As of yet, we don't know.

If i get some information I will let everyone know.

message 21: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) | 219 comments I think she should write it the way she likes. UGH!!! This angers me! I just don't feel like it's going to be the same. Different Authors, I just don't like the sound of that.

LJ SMITH is one of my favorite authors. If they do this I'll still read the books but I won't be happy it's not SMITH.

Just hearing the change is horrible.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ikr! Seriously, Damon and Bonnie? If I ever buy the book (which I probably won't after this horrible news!) I will tears in into shreads, feed it to dogs then burn their poop >.<

I'll probably read one book to see how the new author can possible make it work. Ten dollars says that Damon will suddenly start to feel something for Bonnie and it will be stronger than what he feels for Ellena. And Ellena will be like a sister to him.

message 24: by Book Sushi (new)

Book Sushi (BookSushi) lol they are grasping at straws for the plot now. its unbearable. I cant believe LJ Smith has been taking ages for Shadow Souls, Midnight & Strange Fate. i think she has been rather lax. the show itself is totally messed up with the characters and plot but i prefer watching it than reading the books.

message 25: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (last edited Feb 16, 2011 10:30AM) (new)

♥The Fabulous Killjoys♥ wrote: "Ikr! Seriously, Damon and Bonnie? If I ever buy the book (which I probably won't after this horrible news!) I will tears in into shreads, feed it to dogs then burn their poop >.<"

Oh, I quite agree with your feelings in regard to Damon and Bonnie.

message 26: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Reenz wrote: "lol they are grasping at straws for the plot now. its unbearable. I cant believe LJ Smith has been taking ages for Shadow Souls, Midnight & Strange Fate. i think she has been rather lax. the show i..."

Which one is strange fate?

I didn't mind the return series that much, because well it had Damon and Elena scenes. good ones at that.

However i do see what you mean when you say grasping at straws for a plot...I think they should end it at Midnight...and not continue the series. Because then it would be a bit awkward plot...vampires solving mysteries? that is the main idea i get from the summary of the next series anyhow.

message 27: by Andrhea Paltao (new)

Andrhea Paltao | 177 comments I think the Strange Fate is the one of the series of Nightworld...

I agree with you Graziella. They should end it at Midnight. If only Harper didn't fire LJ those upcoming series will be a big hit and since they fired her then they should stop at Midnight. Gaah. I'm so looking forward to all the series of VD and I can't still believe LJ wouldn't wrote the next series. :(( I was thinking it would be an awesome series cause in Midnight Damon was gonna be human again and Elena, Bonnie, and Meredith would be helping him. :((

message 28: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:32AM) (new)

at least she wrote midnight :) we have to look at the positive of it lol..

If I were her I would be pissed off. as a writer, I would be pissed off I mean. You take all this time to work on something and only to have been told that you can't write this anymore because we don't like the where you are taking the story.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica I never understood the game. What right do the publishers have in the storyline? Whether LJ gives a Delena or Stelena ending has nothing to do with them. Worse, to have fired her and get a replacement. Despite everything the new author will not be able to write as good as LJ. The return might be drab, endless and a big cliche, still her's is the BEST.
Plus I'm terrified of new authors infiltrating the domain. Today's author's writing-editorial skills are of lower quality and i cannot imagine what kind of returns it will bring especially if the publishers are dreaming of green papers.

message 30: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

You are not the only one that doesn't understand that game. If anything changing the writer or a big name player of a series or tv show is always disastrous. That is how I see things...
I don't know where they see the green papers in changing her this late into the series. All this will do is cause a decline of readership. Unless they find a author that will be able to write LJ smith style. but that would be very hard to accomplish.

Reenz wrote: "lol they are grasping at straws for the plot now. its unbearable. I cant believe LJ Smith has been taking ages for Shadow Souls, Midnight & Strange Fate. i think she has been rather lax. the show i..."

I think Katherine was alittle fun to watch but now she's getting sloppy and I did not like it. I mean she was the one suppose to control everything going on.

Graziella wrote: "♥The Fabulous Killjoys♥ wrote: "Ikr! Seriously, Damon and Bonnie? If I ever buy the book (which I probably won't after this horrible news!) I will tears in into shreads, feed it to dogs then burn t..."

LOL! Funny that I'm kind of the oppisite and don't want him with anyone!

Graziella wrote: "Reenz wrote: "lol they are grasping at straws for the plot now. its unbearable. I cant believe LJ Smith has been taking ages for Shadow Souls, Midnight & Strange Fate. i think she has been rather l..."

Seriously? Vampires solving mysteries? This isn't Fringe or X Men! Those publishers are going to have to spend a lot of money to get a good enough person to continue the series without loosing the fans. Which is a waste since they have LJ Smith right there!

Andrhea wrote: "I think the Strange Fate is the one of the series of Nightworld...

I agree with you Graziella. They should end it at Midnight. If only Harper didn't fire LJ those upcoming series will be a big hit..."

Midnight is good and I think they just should end it. Not just because LJ Smith is no longer writing them but because I hate things that drag on too long! I mean some books just should end when it's their time.

Graziella wrote: "at least she wrote midnight :) we have to look at the positive of it lol..

If I were her I would be pissed off. as a writer, I would be pissed off I mean. You take all this time to work on somethi..."

I think if she does feel that way, she should just write for herself. Not for the fans but for herself. What I have heard, Characters are part of the Author and well they take life on their own. The thing is that LJ Smith must now SHE was the one to make Vampire Diaries a hit. She also knows SHE was the one to make all the fans fall in love with the characters. She knows that what another author does will not change her previous work at all since they are already published. Her work is going to the pavement and anything else another author pulls out from their head will not be the genuine article. They will just be the person who tries to make someone's else work their own.

Veronica wrote: "I never understood the game. What right do the publishers have in the storyline? Whether LJ gives a Delena or Stelena ending has nothing to do with them. Worse, to have fired her and get a replacem..."

Very true! Most books I think I could have written them. LJ Smith's writing is not the best I have seen but her plots are amazing.

message 37: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (last edited Apr 01, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

It does get old after a while when the series goes on and on.. Like soap operas...they go on and on and switch partners like hats and it gets annoying. I like the stories that start then end.

I don't how hunters is going to work out exactly...the whole detective work stuff is weird for vampires to even care about. :/

I think LJ Smith is making the plot this way so that the new author will be able to write the next series with no probs. It's a new trilogy with the same caharacters but older so they might act dif.

message 39: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crystalways) | 31 comments I think it's kind of unfair how they just kicked LJ Smith off her own series and yet they somehow think telling everyone, "Oh, she's still the creator of the idea, just has no part in this new series" with a smile on their faces will justify it. They're HER books not Harper.

I can kinda see where they're coming from. I was a little disapointed when there was basically no Stefan in Shadow Souls and how it ended seemed so wierd, but I had high hopes LJ Smith was going to turn it all around. I still need to read Midnight to see if she did.

The idea for the next series, The Hunters (i think), kinda makes me nervous. It sounds like their trying to turn Elena, Meredith and Bonnie into their own Scooby Doo gang.

Now the books will never be the same. Different writers mean different ideas and different story telling and different perspectives. I worried about Vampire Diaries future now. It kind of seems like they're planning to go on with this series until no one wants to buy it anymore.

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Crystal wrote: "I think it's kind of unfair how they just kicked LJ Smith off her own series and yet they somehow think telling everyone, "Oh, she's still the creator of the idea, just has no part in this new seri..."

I totally agree with you. There will be no end until Elena makes her choice- Damon or Stefan. I have just started Midnight so i don't know about its exact ending. Bottom line: Elena must choose a guy towards the end of the hunters series.

I heard Damon dies. I think the only way she could have published midnight is if she did what they wanted. To make Ellena choose because it's really hard to figure out which one she would have chosen. Both guys have some kind of hold on her and well...LJ Smith had to force the decision so she killed off one of the guys.

message 42: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 55 comments But Damon technially didn't die becuase Bonnie did something, so they're going to have to bring him back in the new hunters series or that would make no since at all of him not being in it.

message 43: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

@_@ wow...I should really finish reading it. Right now I'm finding Emma more interesting then Midnight :(

message 44: by Alethea (new)

Alethea Rivera (alethearivera) | 219 comments I agree. I think it's such a bummer that they fired her. She is one of my favorite authors and hate that they did it. They better at least find a great author that could do... no not even then.

I need to read Midnight. I want to do a fanfic.

message 46: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

You started to read it right, Isabella? im stuck in half way through it lol...

Me too. I am 62% done

message 48: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

you beat me however. lol

message 49: by Mockingjay (new)

Mockingjay  | 4 comments Yeah so basically we know how the rest of the story is gonna fan out and Elena will most likely end up with Stephan, not Damon! This sucks I loved how the story was going and I really wanted a story where the love interest changed, not the typical i will stay with you forever but I'm tempted by another. I was really hoping she would end up with Damon.

message 50: by Mockingjay (new)

Mockingjay  | 4 comments Yeah so basically we know how the rest of the story is gonna fan out and Elena will most likely end up with Stephan, not Damon! This sucks I loved how the story was going and I really wanted a story where the love interest changed, not the typical i will stay with you forever but I'm tempted by another. I was really hoping she would end up with Damon.

« previous 1