Audiobooks discussion

Archives > MP3 Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celia (new)

Celia I don't have a player that plays WMA files. Seems like everything online through my library system through Overdrive Media plays WMA files. There is a very limited selection of MP3 books. I wonder why that is. Is there a better place for MP3 files or am I better off getting CDs from the library and ripping files to my MP3 player?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Almost all of the audiobooks I have in my Netlibrary and Overdrive wishlists are WMA format. My Cruz Reader only reads mp3 format, so I basically use my sony ericsson cell phone/mp3 for all my audiobooks because it reads the wma format (luckily for me).

message 3: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, that's why I initially bought my Sansa Clip+ Celia. You can get a pretty reasonably priced one (I think that they have the 1GB or 2GB for around $20).

message 4: by John, Moderator (last edited Feb 09, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

John | 3643 comments I believe publishers prefer WMA as they can put digital restriction on it, so the files cannot have unlimited transfers.

Catie:

I fully agree about the Clip+ ... as long as you remember to tag the files as "audiobook" before transferring, so that they bookmark correctly!

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve (otplsteve) I think John meant WMAs. Those can be restricted. MP3s work on the honor system. Publishers and providers have to trust that you won't keep the title forever, distribute copies to others, etc.

message 6: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments Yes, I meant that they avoid mp3 format. I've corrected my post - thanks, Steve!

message 7: by Celia (new)

Celia I guess that makes sense. Not everyone is honest and would try to profit.

message 8: by Fellows (last edited Feb 12, 2011 01:08PM) (new)

Fellows | 16 comments Hi Celia. All audiobooks from WeRead4You.com can be downloaded as MP3s with no restrictions. They can be transferred to any device and burned to CD :-)

Not sure if this will help you, if you're just looking for a free alternative to library files... but I've had a good experience with them.

message 9: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Dalesandro (agilecairn) | 49 comments There is free software that converts WMA to MP3. I don't know how good it is though...
[link: http://download.cnet.com/Free-WMA-to-...]