What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA Historical Romance 15yr old girl Experiences Love One Summer; picnic by pond where her crush sketches her floating in water

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 09, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

Cheryl (rapunzell) | 4 comments I can't remember the title or author or character names of this book. I read it in the mid-90's. It may be a romance novel or it may be a YA novel.

It was centered around the experiences a 15yr old (or thereabouts) girl (Susan perhaps?) had one summer. She lived on a farm and the time period was probably early 1900's. Everyone rode in carriages or wagons. She had a male cousin about her age that lived with her family that she absolutely hated (Edgar perhaps?). He picked on her a lot. He had an older brother away at college that returned for the summer (Roger maybe?) that she developed a crush on and who was a scandalous flirt. There was also a newly married uncle who came for a short visit until the new wife was caught flirting with the college boy.

Spoiler Alert:

The main scenes from the book I remember are a picnic at the pond where the flirtatious oldest cousin sketched the girl floating in the pond but he kept flirting with the newlywed aunt and making her jealous.

I think they killed a chicken for a big dinner once.

At the end of the book, thinking she's in love with the older cousin, she plans to run away with him, packs her stuff and waits for him along the road early the morning he was set to leave, but he either drives his carriage by or stops and explains he wasn't serious and leaves her there. As she's crying, the annoying cousin comforts her and she realizes she is really in love with him.

Thanks for your help.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (rapunzell) | 4 comments bump

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Cheryl, are you still looking for this book?

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (rapunzell) | 4 comments I haven't remembered any more details about it and gave up hope of finding out what book it was. I'd still love to know what book it was but I'm not actively looking since I don't know how.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Cheryl--bump this thread up about once every month or two. That will keep it in the minds of us older members and will have it where new members can see it too.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Cheryl, still looking?

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (rapunzell) | 4 comments I still don't know the name and author of this book and I'd love to know but I've given up on remembering or finding out myself.

message 8: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tigersue) | 12 comments Sounds like it could be this book. It has been awhile since I read it so I'm not 100% sure. It is not a YA book, in my opinion. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking? Did you check out Tanya's suggestion @8?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking? Did you check out Tanya's suggestion @8?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.