What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Husband kidnaps and takes to Iran

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Toni This book was about an American woman who's husband kidnaps her and forces her to take her daughter and live in Iran (I think it was Iran) and she later escapes back to the US. He beats her and she self-removes her IUD because if he finds out she has it she's toast. I remember a million random details of this book, but not the title? It was short and it was non-fiction . . . help?

message 2: by Evan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Evan | 27 comments How about "Not Without My Daughter" by Betty Mahmoody? It was made into a movie a while back too, I think.

message 3: by Teri (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Teri G (teri_g) | 7 comments I'd say "Not Without My Daughter" too. The movie was made in 1991, starring Sally Field.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 33 comments Never read the book, but in the movie the husband didn't kidnap the wife, she went with him to his country on the premise that it was a visit only, he was very westernized while they were in the US and became more traditional the more he was around his family. Then he refused to let her return and kept her trapped there until she found a way to escape with some help.

message 5: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 40 comments Well... that's her story. His is different. She still carries his last name and he doesn't know how his only child is doing, the daughter probably doesn't even know that there's two sides to every story... Blah.
But I would say it's that book.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments Sigh. Why do there have to be two sides? Why can't I just blithely villify people, and be in the right? (I am careening away from fiction into real life).
PS I am not the same Erica as message 4 Erica.

message 7: by Dina (new)

Dina | 37 comments Have to weigh in because I am so excited that I possibly had a solution!! I was going to suggest "Not Without My Daughter" also.

message 8: by April Ann (last edited Apr 08, 2009 01:56PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Actually he did kidnap her. Holding someone against their will is kidnapping. She went there willingly, but then he took her passport and wouldn't allow her freedom. It qualifies as kidnapping.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments So, can we disagree with Ketutar about there being two sides? ;-)

message 10: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Kidnapping is bad, saving your life and your child's is good. Two sides.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments 'K!

message 12: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 40 comments More than a year later - as said, that's her story (being kidnapped, passport taken etc. etc.). His is different. There is no evidence of either side being truth.
I doubt you, April, has even heard his side. After all, she's American and her version of what happened got to be made into a movie, so it MUST be "true", huh?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36943 comments Mod
Toni left the group. Moving to Abandoned.