Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > J.M. Coetzee-Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, today's J.M. Coetzee's birthday. He seems to have generated a lot of conversation on GR. Have you read him? What do you think?

I read Waiting for the Barbarians and liked it pretty much.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/books/auth...

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have read most of coetzee's books and have been a fan since i was 16. yay!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I still haven't read him, but Janine sent me one of his books and I will read it soon and then weigh in.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Waiting for the Barbarians was a decent book, I have read nothing else from him though.

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I like him but haven't read anywhere near enough, just a few of his short stories that have appeared in the New Yorker and the novel Foe, which is a fictional account of the genesis of Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe.

message 6: by Aynge (last edited Feb 09, 2011 02:19PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Once I met Dennis Lehane at a book signing, and he recommended Disgrace for me. So I read it.

Two thumbs down. An irritating downer. I couldn't even feel pity for the repulsive main character. He didn't possess a single redeeming quality. I really wanted to like this book because Dennis Lehane is one of my favorite writers, but there was nothing to admire. I wanted to set it on fire. What a waste of money and time. He got the title right, though.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
I haven't read any of him. How do we pronounce him?

message 8: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments COT-zee

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Feb 10, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments In South Africa they pronounce that last name Coat-seeah. The end is not a whole syllable, just a little uptick. It almost sounds like an 'er' in Zu's accent. I'm not good at breaking things down phonetically.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.