What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Year's Best SF 8
This topic is about Year's Best SF 8
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SciFi Short Story / Wormhole, Time Travel, Shipwreck [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Does anyone remember a short story that was kind of science-fiction take on the tropes 'ghost ship haunts waters', 'girl left behind by sailor', and 'at all cost, do not meddle in the time-space continuum'?

The story was from the point of view of a girl who worked in a space port along the lines of a bar maid, and she had sailor-lover who traveled on a merchant space ship. The space port was poised right outside of a mostly reliable wormhole that was useful for ships when traveling. Not a little of the responsibility of the space port was scavenging whatever wreckage that came out of the wormhole from ships didn't survive the passage.

The girl quarreled with her lover, and the lover stormed off for his next voyage. Shortly afterward, the wreckage of his ship came out of the wormhole and the girl knew that all hands on it were lost. Shortly after that, the whole and undamaged ship came out of the wormhole, the girl spent one last night with her lover, and not a soul in the port breathed to the crew that the mostly reliable wormhole had tossed back some wreckage of their future destruction.

This story has been nagging at me so. I probably read it in the 90s. It was almost certainly part of an anthology, and the anthology was likely formed around a theme, which would be information more helpful if I had any idea what kind of theme it had been. (Ghosts? Ships? Space? Time travel? Argh?)

Any ideas? Thanks much, guys!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2053 comments This makes me think of Stephen Baxter for some reason. I looked at a list of titles of his short stories and didn't recognize it though.

message 3: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Baxter is prolific!

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?102

None of his titles jumped out at me either, but I'm begun the process of getting some of his story collections from interlibrary loan. I'll read through them and maybe get lucky.

Thanks for your help, Andy!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Maybe one of he Linnea Sinclair ones ? Gabriel's Ghost or An Accidental Goddess or one of the others in that universe?

message 5: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Nope, I don't think so. I'm pretty well read in Sinclair, and it's for a fact not either of the two novels you mention.

message 6: by Andy (last edited Jan 11, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Andy Love | 2053 comments It's "At Dorado" by Geoffrey Landis, collected here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10... (just happened to read the story at lunchtime and remembered this thread). Story is reviewed here http://archonrealm.tripod.com/reviews...

message 7: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments That's so awesome, Andy! Thank you!

Now I must go lay my hands on the anthology and give it a reread. I remember enjoying it more than the Archon Realm reviewer did, and I'm very curious to find by just how much my memory pulled rose-tinted glasses on me.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2053 comments M— wrote: "That's so awesome, Andy! Thank you!

Now I must go lay my hands on the anthology and give it a reread. I remember enjoying it more than the Archon Realm reviewer did, and I'm very curious to find b..."

Glad to help. I was floored when I realized that the story I was reading was one I had been trying to identify here a few months back