Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Genres~ What's Yer Flavour? > mystery + romance

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 15 comments Looking for a historical/regency book which has a great mystery intertwined with a wonderful romance. I like my heroes a bit on the dark, elusive side. I am getting very tired of the 'perfect heroine syndrome', so a somewhat flawed, sensible heroine would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Sebastian St Cyr~ Yummy~ and dark~ And the heroine is anything but perfect. What Angels Fear by C.S. Harris Is the first one. I loved it.

message 4: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Also check out this thread in this group~ Many suggestions here....

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 15 comments Thank you, I will check them out!

message 6: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

A HUGE WELCOME BTW Sophia~ I look forward to your converstaions and recommendations to this crazy lil group. Jump right in.

message 7: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (cjarcher) | 95 comments I second the Sebastian St Cyr books. Brilliant!

message 8: by Leea (new)

Leea Has anyone read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson ?? I know people who love it and who hate it!

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Leea wrote: "Has anyone read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson?? I know people who love it and who hate it!"

I have and I loved it. Check out my review -- I did have some issues with it though. The first 50 or so pages are very dry and not representative of the book at all, but once those pass the book is very dark and a great mystery. However, I wouldn't call it a romance. There is definitely no HEA.

Not historical or regency, and there is no HEA, but there are intense relationships/romance:
In the Woods by Tana French The Likeness by Tana French

Also, what about JD Robb In Death series? Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb

Also, light romance, some sex (not detailed though, but it happens) and definite mystery (but not historical or regency), listing in the first in the series, oh and each book doesn't have an HEA, but there is romance:
Shakespeare's Landlord (A Lily Bard Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris

message 10: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments Leea wrote: "Has anyone read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson?? I know people who love it and who hate it!"

I started it, but it was right before school started so I had to stop, because I could tell it was not a book I could pick up whenever I could with spaces between. I was slightly confused what I did read though with the names

message 11: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 10, 2011 01:27PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I saw the movie of GWDT (the foreign film version, not the one they're making for the U.S. right now) and while I liked it alright, it wasn't enough to make me want to go run out and get the book either. It was one of those, "okay I get the story, I don't need to read the book to pick up any extras that I might have missed."

message 12: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments I'm the opposite -- I ran and get all 3 book (haven't get the 4th) because it was so dang gone popular. Then, haven't touch them since and not plan to this year. --I somehow lost motivation along the way!!

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) There is a 4th? I thought there was only 3?

message 14: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments May be it's not out yet, my mistake. But that's the one that he didn't finish. I think his partner is going to wrap it up.

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I think it may still be in litigation between his partner (common law wife -- but not clear if the gov't is recognizing it) and his family -- i.e. who owns the profits. But I haven't been paying close attention. Pretty sad it comes to that.

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments Yeah I thought he was dead

message 17: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 50 comments Another vote for Sybastian St Cyr.

I also really like the Pink Carnation books.

I really liked the Millenium books. I read the same thing about the books. He died without a will and now their fighting over the estate and the partial 4th book. Sad.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 15 comments I have seen the movies..I really liked the first one. Although it has a very very graphic violence scene. I have heard that in the book the scene is even more pronounced than in the movie. But mystery-wise it is pretty awesome.

message 19: by Leea (new)

Leea Sophia have you read the Millennium Books?

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 15 comments No unfortunately I haven't gotten around to reading the Millenium books. I have seen all three the movies. I do however plan to read them soon, since the movies were so good.

message 21: by Sophie (last edited Feb 12, 2011 11:55PM) (new)

Sophie | 15 comments Leea, if you are looking for opinions on whether to read the books, I would say that the books are not for the faint of heart. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a very graphic scene in the first quarter of the book. When I watched the movie, it was quite disturbing to see this scene. I would definitely never watch this movie with my parents.

My friends who have read this book mentioned that the scene is explained even more so in detail in the book. That being said, the mystery involved is very intriguing and I highly enjoyed watching the movie certainly.

As it is often true that the books are much more amazing than their movie adaptations, I am sure you will find the book to be quite splendid. As long as you are not put off by the graphic scenes. I hope this helps...

message 22: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments This is a Mystery Romance series but not Historical. It's more of a Sci-fi. I've read the first two books. They are pretty good.

After Dark (Harmony, #1) by Jayne Castle After Glow (Harmony, #2) by Jayne Castle Ghost Hunter (Harmony, #3) by Jayne Castle Silver Master (Harmony, #4) by Jayne Castle Dark Light (Harmony, #5) by Jayne Castle Obsidian Prey (Harmony, #6) by Jayne Castle Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #9; Harmony, #7) by Jayne Castle

message 23: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Sophia wrote: "I have seen the movies..I really liked the first one. Although it has a very very graphic violence scene. I have heard that in the book the scene is even more pronounced than in the movie. But myst..."

The Movies???? What????

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh shit~ I thought you were talking about Sebastion St Cyr.

message 25: by Leea (new)

Leea LOL!!! So many people love the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson series but everyone says the first 50 -100 pages are hard to follow... Uhhh hello the books only like 350-400. So that's why i have not read them yet. Anyone else find this to be true?

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 15 comments Haha Shell, Yes I know the discussion somehow turned to the 'Girl in the Dragon Tattoo'. It is a bit confusing...considering that this book has little to do with the original discussion.
I find that the romance in this book is negligible and would probably categorize it as mystery only.

message 27: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Leea wrote: "LOL!!! So many people love the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson series but everyone says the first 50 -100 pages are hard to follow... Uhhh hello the books only like 350-400. So ..."

Its really only the first 50 to 60, they aren't hard to follow, just hard to get in to. The protaganist is a journalist breaking a coprorate scandal and the author details the financial aspect of the corporate corruption in the first 50 pages or so and is setting up the story. I see it as similar to fantasy books and urban fantasy bokos where there is world building, once it is done -- then the story takes it off. The hardcover is 465 pages, so definitely not a huge portion of the book is dedicated to the difficult beginning. :) But obviously not all books are for everyone, this is a mystery that is very detailed and it is also character driven. The charcters are drawn in detail, the mystery and murders are very gruesome and gory. You kinda have to have a taste for mysteries, thrillers, corporate or government corruption and be okay with gruesome to get into it. :)

message 28: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I am interested in 3 outa the 4... Not sure on the whole government scandle thang... I did start it.. Got to where the journalist dude started interviewing the old dude in the weird little city.. That was monthes ago... Maybe I should pick it up again.

message 29: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) LOL!!! old dude in the wird little city.

It isn't for everyone, for some reason this book seemed to have alot of appeal.

For me, I really like the government and gender critique going on, I am guessing some people skim over that part. The government scandal comes out in bokos 2 and 3 (I haven't read yet #3, not sure if I will, but I thoroughly enjoyed 1 and 2).

If you got to the old dude in the weird little city -- and Mikhail had actually started on the case, doing the research (not just talking to the old dude) and you still didn't like it -- I say give it up. I loved it from the weird little city.

message 30: by Leea (new)

Leea Regina wrote: "Leea wrote: "LOL!!! So many people love the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson series but everyone says the first 50 -100 pages are hard to follow... Uhhh hello the books only like..."

I think when i finally read it (i've had it for 2 years on my bookshelf) i will like it... You know when people keep telling you "the book is slow to start" that really does not make me want to run home to start it! Thanks Regina!

message 31: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) That is a positive way to look at things. :)

message 32: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Oh, and there is not really any romance -- just sex with women from a man's persepctive!

message 33: by Mary C (last edited Apr 09, 2011 05:59PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 50 comments The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo is a little boring in the beginning but it's well worth sticking with to the end. There's really no romance in them. Various people have flings and "romances" but it's not in anyway written like a romance. The hero is kidn of a womanizer.

I've read all but the most recent St Cyr book and I loved them all. They're also more mystery than romance. There is no HEA in them as far any romance goes. Not so far anyway.

message 34: by Leea (new)

Leea What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1) by C.S. Harris got this from the library friday... can't wait to start it soon.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh nice, I've been looking at that series for a while now. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

message 36: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Leea {Fang Family} wrote: "What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1) by C.S. Harris got this from the library friday... can't wait to start it soon."

I read that book years ago but never continued reading the series. I have to pick it up again one of these days.

I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I think it was good that I'm listening to it instead of reading it because the dry part at the beginning passed by quickly. Now I'm getting to the good part.

message 37: by Leea (new)

Leea I'm putting What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1) by C.S. Harris off because I have a few Library books due soon. I've heard mixed things about this book...

message 38: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 01, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Carolyn Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch (Montana Mystique) (Harlequin Intrigue #897) by B.J. Daniels was pretty good