The Sword and Laser discussion

Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
This topic is about Shadow & Claw
2011 Reads > S&C: Ebook Version

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Basinger (technoviking) | 11 comments Anyone know if anyone has a epub/Kindle version of Shadow & claw for sale?

Cheers

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments According to Amazon it is not available for kindle.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I couldn't find it at B&N for my Nook either.

message 4: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure it's only available in audio book or print form, unfortunately.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Gehrke (tomgehrke) I found a copy on scribd.com, but I'm hesitant to link it up because I'm not really sure how legit it is. The font and formatting is horrible, IMO. I can't imagine trying to read it that way. Which makes me doubt its legitimacy even more.

Of course you're welcome to search there yourselves. :)

Fortunately, something about Tom's description finally clicked for me. I went to the garage, pulled down a box of books and there it was. All four books in a single volume that I had read at least 10 years ago.

So that ended my eBook search. The dead tree edition will have to do.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6264 comments That's too bad there's no e-version. The font in Shadow & Claw is pretty small.

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments Tamahome wrote: "That's too bad there's no e-version. The font in Shadow & Claw is pretty small."

It's weird but I think this is one of those books that doesn't feel "right" as an e-book.

Tina (javabird) | 693 comments I agree with Tamahome. I'm reading the book from the library and the font is almost too small to read comfortably. It's limiting where and when I can read it.

terpkristin | 4144 comments Larry wrote: "It's weird but I think this is one of those books that doesn't feel "right" as an e-book."

Weird. I think this is one that would be well-suited to being an e-book. It would be more portable (all 4 books in one, no less), would be able to use larger print, and would allow easier lookup of the obscure words in the text. From a vocabulary standpoint (as well as a writing style standpoint), this is kind of similar to DFW's Infinite Jest. I was thrilled (as was my back!) that I had it for Kindle.

Each their own, I guess! :)

message 10: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Feb 21, 2011 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "... and would allow easier lookup of the obscure words in the text."

I just discovered though the magic of Google Books, you can view some of Wolfe's essay "Words Weird and Wonderful" online - he defines a number of the obscure words from Shadow in it:

Words Weird and Wonderful online

Note that Google Books strategically omits certain pages, though, so that it remains a "preview."

message 11: by Bob (new) - added it

Bob (shack) | 103 comments I found several ebook versions using a Google search but none look legal.

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken Caudle (tictac_ns) | 7 comments I checked the Sony e-book store and did not find it there.